Thread: 2018 Scalpel-Si

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2018 Scalpel-Si

Starting a new thread for MY18 Scalpel-Si as the 2017 one is going off topic. What do we know?

Looks like internal cable routing for the rear triangle
    Name:  1146153d1499842181t-2017-scalpel-count-down-4a128696fa92460a92320bd91a4a7894.jpg
Views: 16667
Size:  24.3 KB
    Name:  1146154d1499842182t-2017-scalpel-count-down-img_0598.jpg
Views: 26247
Size:  46.0 KB

There's some talk of a Lefty update but I know nothing about that

I just got sent a sneaky in the flesh photo from what looks like a dealer camp. It's a gloss black Scalpel-Si with grey decals. Has a Fox 34 fork (guessing 120mm) and Fox shock with no remotes, dropper post, and what looks like ~2.3inch Maxxis Ardent or Ardent Race tyres with tan sidewalls on Notubes Arch MK3 rims. Eagle drivetrain (unsure if X01 or GX) and Level brakes.

I'm guessing it'll be the Scalpel-Si SE. The Fox 34 is probably lighter than the Lefty 2.0. Sign me up! Looks so clean without remotes. Wheels, dropper, tyres add some weight but will be such a fun and capable bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No Lefty I'm done with Cannondale. Make it lighter or something but if it's gone so am I!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Fox 34 is probably on the Scalpel carbon Si 6. There were to models in 2017 with RS and Fox forks. Nothing new or unusual with this. Cannondale has fitted forks from other manufacturers in some models to meet price points in the distant and more recent past. Lefty is a signature product, it will not be dropped without a big fight and loss of sales

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not confirmed. But I would assume that the Lefty is still on most of the Scalpel-Si range. It will be an SE model (longer travel fork, dropper post, wider tyres) that will get a Fox 34.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lefty is not leaving....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A fox 34 is not lighter than a lefty. The lefty as a whole system is actually pretty light. I stuck a 1550g gram fork on my bike and it was a few oz heavier than with the lefty. When you add up the thru axle, extra hub weight, headset. It's the same or heavier unless you went to a 32sc or a sidwc.

The lefty is not going anywhere either. I can't tell you if there is a new lefty coming or not but if and when it does come, Cannondale is going to make sure it's perfect.

Putting these normal forks on some of the models just opens up more market for them. Not everyone wants a lefty.

Road Bike Review Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post

The lefty is not going anywhere either. I can't tell you if there is a new lefty coming or not but if and when it does come, Cannondale is going to make sure it's perfect.
    If they actually do wind up making the Lefty perfect, hopefully they don't forget about all of us with bad Leftys that require constant maintenance and/or fixing. My old booted Lefty I had on my old 26'' Team Scalpel (with elo, I wish I never sold that bike) was flawless
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

mtbr member
    Sounds nice.. They can take that lefty and shove it. I'm a potential customer again with a normal front end and related parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    A fox 34 is not lighter than a lefty. The lefty as a whole system is actually pretty light. I stuck a 1550g gram fork on my bike and it was a few oz heavier than with the lefty. When you add up the thru axle, extra hub weight, headset. It's the same or heavier unless you went to a 32sc or a sidwc.
    I have a 2017 Scalpel-Si 3 with aluminium lefty 2.0. The lefty with the steerer is 1965 grams. I weighed the carbon one from a team bike. That saves 200 grams.

The 2016 Fox 34 with axle is 1800 grams. I don't know the 2018 weight. I'd definitely consider it a burlier fork than the carbon lefty 2.0. But I don't have any hard data to back that up.

So once you include the steerer a carbon lefty and fox 34 are a wash. The alloy lefty is 200 grams heavier.

The headsets for a lefty and a tapered steerer weight the same.

The hub weight is a wash once you consider the lefty hub needs to be weighed with the self extracting cap and axle bolt.

I like my lefty, but it is not light! We can argue all day about which is better.

The positive here is options for 2018! The addition of an SE model with a Fox fork and shock that 'should' be more reliable and tune able for burlier riding. The more race focused models will keep a lefty with dual remote lockout which is an excellent race setup. Everyone is catered for!

It'd be great if they offered an SL version. Fox 32 stepcast fork and fox shock, no remotes. Would open the Scalpel up to the die hard weight weenies and lefty haters that can't swallow the weight of the lefty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Tomato tomato (does that work in text???) we all have differing opinions on the lefty. But to stay on topic (my fault). What I would like to see:

1. A better lock out. I'm on my fourth Xloc Full Sprint. More f a SRAM issue but couldn't they use the new reverb remote and modify it to a lock out.

2 Internal cable routing in the rear is a defendant plus.

3. With Enve being the sponsor for CFR with wheels and now bars/seat post this year. It wold be awesome to have those as OEM. I've broke a few things from FSA over the years.

4. Ok I'll say it LOL a lighter Lefty.(I haven't had any issues. Put in the 2Spring and still no issues)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No internal rear end routing?!

2018 Scalpel-Si-20023942_1424131747697561_6656167224448452846_o.jpg2018 Scalpel-Si-20045554_1424131704364232_8201753160365001821_o.jpg2018 Scalpel-Si-20024181_1424131634364239_5163257519034279521_o.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Why is everyone obsessed with internal cable routing? It's a royal pain to change cables out in the field. For DI2 I can understand it protects the wiring but for mechanical I prefer external full cable housing

mtbr member
    Only new:

ScalpelSi SE with 120/115mm travel - wider rims and tyres

SE 1 - Lefty
    SE 2 - RS
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Why is everyone obsessed with internal cable routing? It's a royal pain to change cables out in the field. For DI2 I can understand it protects the wiring but for mechanical I prefer external full cable housing
    IF its as on 2017 bikes it has full housing even if its internal

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes I know it's full housing but it's much easier to work on if that housing is externally routed

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    There is a port right above the derailleur hanger that looks like internal routing. It might just be for Di2 but that seems a bit silly to do the routing and then make it a bit too small. It also appears on the first post of this thread that there is a mechanical build that is internal. I am guessing this is just a quick build that didn't bother with the internal part (maybe they are like Brad).

Regardless I am just waiting for an xt di2 build and hoping it comes with CZero SL wheels and a cool color.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Such a small gripe, but Im not in love with the colors...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcKay View Post
    Such a small gripe, but Im not in love with the colors...
    I agree so far, all of their SE bikes have been a little different though. The team edition is disappointing compared to the 2017 team/race builds. I do like that red in the first picture, interested in seeing that build (same as 2017 carbon 2?)

mtbr member
    Looks like 2 of the new bikes I the pictures have fox rear shocks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, they worked with them for the gemini shocks, but I guess that is also a good indicator of not race-y scalpels, huh? My friend that's a sales rep has been riding the SE since at least last fall. At first I was impressed he was riding a regular scalpel at this central PA enduro (not the most gnarly, but some of the moto trails are rocky af), then a friend said it was really a different bike (just the same black/hi vis lettering as scalpel si 2).

I would have ridden my camber on it, but I busted a spoke pre-riding, so I went with the trailfox. This SE would have been great for it.

Unrelated, but seeing him and another good buddy riding their new jekylls has me itching to try one.

Rides all the bikes!
    So no real substantial upgrades? I've got a friend that may or may not upgrade next year (I'll buy his 2017). But seems like a waste of money if there isn't a performance upgrade.

He rides his more as a trail bike now.

For the record, I hate the fact that I love the Lefty so much. My 2015 F-Si has been flawless as a package and WAY too confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yes I know it's full housing but it's much easier to work on if that housing is externally routed

The solution cannondale had on the old one wasnt fun to work with either. I use a smal hock that i skrew in the old hose, attach a fishing line to it, pull the hose out, skrew the hock in to a new hose and pull everything back with the fishing line. It isnt hard with internal, you just has to think twice before doing anything. And how often do you changes hose out in field?
    Last edited by Baltazar; 07-20-2017 at 02:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    2018 Cannondale Scalpel SE 2 — Bike, Steel & Borrow

Looks really weird without the Lefty

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Without the lefty it doesnt stund out from other bikes, dont like it

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am intrigued though... a Scalpel with a few more mm of travel sounds like fun! Wonder if it handles differently because of the reduced (4mm) offset?.... Too bad they didn't throw a 110-120mm lefty on there

SML
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2018 Scalpel-Si-se.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    crazy price (USD?) for no Hi Mod, no carbon Lefty, no carbon wheels or components, and Sram GX?

SML
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The price is in Swiss Francs, sorry.

mtbr member
    Swiss francs and dollar are almost the same so yes VERY VERY expensive

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    That internal cable routing for the rear triangle looks like the one on Black Inc 2017.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    SE-1 $5499 US msrp

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    $4500 for the SE-2 in US.
    If I didn't already have a pretty solidly performing carbon camber evo (soon to be 130 upfront), I'd be all over this guy.
    Pair it with a new Jekyll and I'd have all cdale mtbs, as I have a fat caad 1 now.

SML
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Does anyone have pictures for the colors and specs on the rest of the Scalpel line up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    any info about scalpel si 5 2018?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seems like the 18 Scalpel has new steerer and stem, they look like 1 1/8" spec.

2018 Scalpel-Si-18-scalpel.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    Seems like the 18 Scalpel has new steerer and stem, they look like 1 1/8" spec.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 Scalpel.jpg 
Views:	2425 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	1149848
    does it? hard to say something about it just on that picture. what can be said is that the edge under the lower clamp seems to be thicker.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Apparently they do have 1&1/8th top section to steerer. Cost saving as cannondale don't have to keep manufacturing special 1.5 stems anylonger.
    Bike industry clearly feeling the pinch.
    Spaz rationalising their portfolio by doing away with women's specific bikes and just repainting mens frames while fitting ladies saddles.
    Scott ditching the 27.5 spark and scale except in xs and s sizes.

mtbr member
    OPI forever.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    I am too! flip the stem and I'm good to go!

mtbr member
    Everything stays 1.5

But the worst thing in my opinion are now the new straightpull hubs and no more FSA- Carbonparts! Just only Cannondale C1 for even more money.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=...nu=1000,173,87
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Are the Scalpel Si 3 and 4 in 2018 the same as the 2017 models ? Between those two models, how much is the rear lockout important ? I noticed the 4 does not have it. Pricey difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Anybody know the weight of the 2018 Scalpel SE 1? I read somewhere that the Scalpel SE2 is like 28 pounds... Any one know if the lefty on the SE 1 keeps its weight down?

Also, any thoughts on the SI versus the SE 1? (For example SI 3 versus the SE 1)? I'm looking for a light full suspension bike to ride on flowy hardpack trails on the east coast with roots and some rocks. I currently ride a 120mm carbon hardtail and like it much better than my squishy trail bike. I am trying to figure out if the Scalpel SI 3 would be a good new purchase, or if 100mm in the front is too little. And, if that's the case, whether the SE 1 would be light and fast enough or too squishy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by clodiuspulcher View Post
    I'm looking for a light full suspension bike to ride on flowy hardpack trails on the east coast with roots and some rocks. I currently ride a 120mm carbon hardtail and like it much better than my squishy trail bike. I am trying to figure out if the Scalpel SI 3 would be a good new purchase, or if 100mm in the front is too little. And, if that's the case, whether the SE 1 would be light and fast enough or too squishy.
    Sounds like a Habit would be more suitable for you, imo.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Lefty actually weighs more than the Fox 34 on the SE2. SE1 might be a tad lighter due to the build kit/wheels, but probably no more than a pound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Sounds like a Habit would be more suitable for you, imo.

Do you say that because the habit has 27.5 inch wheels? It looks like the habit is heavier than the scalpel si, the habit 2 is 27 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Do you say that because the habit has 27.5 inch wheels? It looks like the habit is heavier than the scalpel si, the habit 2 is 27 lbs.
    The habit is indeed heavier than the scalpel si, but it seems to be more suited to the kind of riding you described, imho.

Rides all the bikes!
    The Scalpel is a very well mannered XC bike. But it is intended as an XC bike. Yes, it will probably handle that type of riding just fine, but that wasn't the intention of the bike. I ride my F-Si on enduro trails that I see people skipping on actual enduro bikes. But my trail bike is the better option.

The Habit, forgetting wheel size, is developed for that type of riding. Cross country/all mountain style of riding, but not specifically racing.

The Bad Habit can take 29" wheels, if that is an issue to you. I was planning on making that my next bike since I wanted to be able to swap between 650b+ and 29, but ended up going long travel enduro instead which fits my riding style better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    The Scalpel is a very well mannered XC bike. But it is intended as an XC bike. Yes, it will probably handle that type of riding just fine, but that wasn't the intention of the bike. I ride my F-Si on enduro trails that I see people skipping on actual enduro bikes. But my trail bike is the better option.

The Habit, forgetting wheel size, is developed for that type of riding. Cross country/all mountain style of riding, but not specifically racing.

The Bad Habit can take 29" wheels, if that is an issue to you. I was planning on making that my next bike since I wanted to be able to swap between 650b+ and 29, but ended up going long travel enduro instead which fits my riding style better.
    Interesting, thanks. I for whatever reason enjoy a faster more efficient bike than one with more suspension. I have a full sus trail bike which is a slog to ride so I almost always am on my carbon hardtail with the rear tire pressure up above 40 psi. I am interested in getting a better full system bike than the one I have, but am very paranoid about getting one that's too heavy and too much of a slog again. Things like the Yeti ASRc look appealing.

Rides all the bikes!
    Only way to know is test riding them.

I personally didn't really like the Habit, but I already had a very similar bike so it was totally redundant and I'm now converting that bike into my endurance XC bike (650b 130mm FS). I wanted a Scalpel for XC racing, but my budget is limited so I'm sticking with my F-Si for racing. I needed something that can handle my daily abuse more, so I went long travel enduro (which I've already beaten to shit in one month).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A test ride will tell you a lot but "flowy hardpack trails on the east coast with roots and some rocks" sounds an awful lot like XC to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider View Post
    A test ride will tell you a lot but "flowy hardpack trails on the east coast with roots and some rocks" sounds an awful lot like XC to me.
    Problem is that we don't have any demos or bike shops that let you test ride on trails. I'm in DC. I don't really know if the trails around here are "XC" or "trail," but It seems like 2/3rds of the people I see while I'm out are riding full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Problem is that we don't have any demos or bike shops that let you test ride on trails. I'm in DC. I don't really know if the trails around here are "XC" or "trail," but It seems like 2/3rds of the people I see while I'm out are riding full suspension bikes.
    I see that even when I travel to Oklahoma for work, a H/T would be quickest on most of those trails (I believe) but you can't discount comfort...For many people it's form over function. Or maybe just back issues.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I see that even when I travel to Oklahoma for work, a H/T would be quickest on most of those trails (I believe) but you can't discount comfort...For many people it's form over function. Or maybe just back issues.
    What types of trails are the scalpel si and se meant to be ridden on?

mtbr member
    What types of trails are the scalpel si and se meant to be ridden on?
    The Si is more pure XC while the Se is billed more as Trail/all-mtn, but with that said there is certainly crossover between the two.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    The Si is more pure XC while the Se is billed more as Trail/all-mtn, but with that said there is certainly crossover between the two.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    That said, the se is still a Scalpel, albeit with more travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Anybody know the weight of the 2018 Scalpel SE 1?
    Around 12.6 kg (body scale), size large, tubeless and xtr pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jo138 View Post
    Thanks. Is the lefty shock adjustable? I.e., is it an air shock where you can change the pressure, or is it a non-adjustable coil? I've been having trouble finding info on the re-designed lefty.

Rides all the bikes!
    Thanks. Is the lefty shock adjustable? I.e., is it an air shock where you can change the pressure, or is it a non-adjustable coil? I've been having trouble finding info on the re-designed lefty.
    It is an air spring. The valve is at the bottom of the fork leg, rebound is at the top. Compression is not externally adjustable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a medium in the box. I'll post up the weight once it is built this week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone in here been on a 2018 Epic FS? Same headtube angle as the Scalpel SI, but very different trail numbers from fork offsets.

Wondering how they compare on feel. I have been able to test the Scalpel, but cannot locate a new Epic around here to try before making a decision on purchase.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Can anyone till the wheight for the new 2018 stem

mtbr member
    175g - 90mm

2018 Scalpel-Si-21587055_1436887233064238_4963666987635718611_o.jpg
    For sale:

mtbr member
    May 2006

Agreed!

I have noticed the same thing in reviews of the Scalpel and the Epic! Similar head tube angles, but very different fork offsets - 42 mm for the Epic and 55 mm for the Scalpel. And yet the promo material from the manufacturers and from the reviews say the same thing - more stability down steep hills, still nimble on climbs. Which makes no sense. Each company went in opposite directions on their fork offsets but the outcome in handling is the same??? Can anyone explain that?

Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    Anyone in here been on a 2018 Epic FS? Same headtube angle as the Scalpel SI, but very different trail numbers from fork offsets.

Wondering how they compare on feel. I have been able to test the Scalpel, but cannot locate a new Epic around here to try before making a decision on purchase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post
    I have noticed the same thing in reviews of the Scalpel and the Epic! Similar head tube angles, but very different fork offsets - 42 mm for the Epic and 55 mm for the Scalpel. And yet the promo material from the manufacturers and from the reviews say the same thing - more stability down steep hills, still nimble on climbs. Which makes no sense. Each company went in opposite directions on their fork offsets but the outcome in handling is the same??? Can anyone explain that?
    Yessir, my friend and I tested the 2 bikes back to back last weekend. See the 2018 Epic FS thread in the Specialized section for my review.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply and the review. Very helpful. Somewhat reassuring to know someone else was confused by the very different approaches taken by two different reputable bike manufacturers.

It sounds like you feel the Specialized fork is to blame and that you are going to possibly replace. Looking forward to the outcome.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar View Post
    The solution cannondale had on the old one wasnt fun to work with either. I use a smal hock that i skrew in the old hose, attach a fishing line to it, pull the hose out, skrew the hock in to a new hose and pull everything back with the fishing line. It isnt hard with internal, you just has to think twice before doing anything. And how often do you changes hose out in field?
    I often wrench at events like the Cape Epic where working on many bikes into the early hours of the morning is very taxing on the brain and body. Often riders will complain about shift quality due to the dust they pick up through a 100km stage and then the bikes get jet washed which just drives dirt into every crevice. Bikes with external routing get worked on first because they're quicker to turn around. Bikes with internal routing are a royal pain and often result in bikes not being perfect the next day. When you have 20 bikes to service between the time the riders start coming in and the start of the next days stage, you simply appreciate bikes with cleverly thought out layouts more. The scalpel is one such bike. Some of the more complex cable routings can take hours to put things back together

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have they started shipping these new SE models yet?

Tire clearance in the rear?

mtbr member
    Hi.
    Does anyone know the weight of the Czero rims and the new hollowgram carbon rims on the 2018 model?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anybody know the shock eye to eye and stroke on the se model? Or any owners willing to measure it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SE uses 190 eye-to-eye and 51 stroke. Front triangle is the same as Si but swingarm is 6mm longer to handle the extra travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Have they started shipping these new SE models yet?

Tire clearance in the rear?
    2.3 minion dhr2 still has ~10mm clearance from knobs to seatstays and chainstays.

mtbr member
    If i reminde myself i could take the SE2 medium size on scale.
    For sale:

bike tester
    scalpel SE 1 - around 12.6 kg (body scale), size large, tubeless and xtr pedals
    12.3kg size Medium, with tubes, no pedals

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    According to my scale the stock SE2 Medium comes out of the box at 29.1lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi all.

Tried to search but so many pages to go through on Tapatalk.

I have a new 2018 scalpel si. I wish to convert the suspension.

I want to convert the xlr lockout to a pbr setup.

I know on my hybrid it was a complete damper change.

But I read somewhere that on the 2.0 its just a top cap change to do the conversion?

Is that true? And what is the right part number?

Secondly I wish to fit a fox shock.

Please can those in the know confirm if the sv or LV model a better option. And on most sites the one comes with a 0.2mm and a 0.4mm spacer ( not sure what this refers to?)

Also if any custom tune ( from fox) desirable.

And what spacer kit do I need for the mounting shafts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Part number In photo for pbr conversion.

The shock needs bushings that are 30mm wide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Superb. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi, I have a Scalpel-Si Carbon 4 bike with a shell width of 83mm and an XX1 Eagle Crankset GXP (with 3mm chainring offset) at hand. When installed, the crank arms sits tightly next to the chainstay without the crankboots and even closer (less than 1mm I think) with the crankboots. Also, the chainring is scratching the aluminum protector under the chainstay when I'm not riding it but doesn't when I'm on the bike. My question is, what's the best option for me to give it a little space?

mtbr member
    Wrong Crank!

You need the specific Sram XX1 Eagle BB30 Ai Crank with the longer Ai-specific spindle.
    Even though it has 6mm Offset that fits perfect with 36-38 teeth chainrings

2018 Scalpel-Si-2104958-ib8ttbzry0z9-welleeagleai_2-large.jpg
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzzz View Post
    Wrong Crank!

You need the specific Sram XX1 Eagle BB30 Ai Crank with the longer Ai-specific spindle.
    Even though it has 6mm Offset that fits perfect with 36-38 teeth chainrings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2104958-ib8ttbzry0z9-welleeagleai_2-large.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1178550
    Chrizzz,
    Can a longer spindle be installed on his current crank? I thought I read people putting an Eagle quarq on their bikes by removing the left arm even though sram says not to remove and using the longer spindle. They were using a non-boost version.

mtbr member
    I wouldnt recommend it.
    The spindle is not avaiable as a spare part.
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzzz View Post
    I wouldnt recommend it.
    The spindle is not avaiable as a spare part.
    Thanks for the reply! But can I just purchase a crank with a longer spindle that's not necessarily "Ai-Specific?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If anyone is interested I have a new Monarch XX with full sprint remote for sale. Remote set up for XLR lefty.

$220

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    If anyone is interested I have a new Monarch XX with full sprint remote for sale. Remote set up for XLR lefty.

$220

I'm not in the market at the immediate moment, but might be soon (looking to buy a used Scalpel without XX).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I'm not in the market at the immediate moment, but might be soon (looking to buy a used Scalpel without XX).
    Cool. Let me know. Just send me a message if/when youre interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I got in a demo ride on a SE 1 over the weekend... Holy crap that thing was a blast! I am a tweener, but opted for a medium instead of the large. I felt like I had the perfect amount of space in the cockpit, and was able to throw it around like nobodys business. I'm just gonna come out and say that I have not been able to toss around the rear end on a bike like that before, and I was bunny hoping everything. The suspension was smooth and buttery, but had tons of pop. I can't believe that this bike is not thrown into more short travel trail bike conversations. It did literally everything that I wanted it to. I wish I didn't want it so badly, haha.