Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2018 Scalpel-Si

46K views 101 replies 47 participants last post by  dral 
#1 ·
Starting a new thread for MY18 Scalpel-Si as the 2017 one is going off topic. What do we know?

Looks like internal cable routing for the rear triangle
Bicycle part Fender Automotive exterior Carmine Windshield

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

There's some talk of a Lefty update but I know nothing about that

I just got sent a sneaky in the flesh photo from what looks like a dealer camp. It's a gloss black Scalpel-Si with grey decals. Has a Fox 34 fork (guessing 120mm) and Fox shock with no remotes, dropper post, and what looks like ~2.3inch Maxxis Ardent or Ardent Race tyres with tan sidewalls on Notubes Arch MK3 rims. Eagle drivetrain (unsure if X01 or GX) and Level brakes.

I'm guessing it'll be the Scalpel-Si SE. The Fox 34 is probably lighter than the Lefty 2.0. Sign me up! Looks so clean without remotes. Wheels, dropper, tyres add some weight but will be such a fun and capable bike!

See less See more
#41 ·
Apparently they do have 1&1/8th top section to steerer. Cost saving as cannondale don't have to keep manufacturing special 1.5 stems anylonger.
Bike industry clearly feeling the pinch.
Spaz rationalising their portfolio by doing away with women's specific bikes and just repainting mens frames while fitting ladies saddles.
Scott ditching the 27.5 spark and scale except in xs and s sizes.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

#46 ·
Anybody know the weight of the 2018 Scalpel SE 1? I read somewhere that the Scalpel SE2 is like 28 pounds... Any one know if the lefty on the SE 1 keeps its weight down?

Also, any thoughts on the SI versus the SE 1? (For example SI 3 versus the SE 1)? I'm looking for a light full suspension bike to ride on flowy hardpack trails on the east coast with roots and some rocks. I currently ride a 120mm carbon hardtail and like it much better than my squishy trail bike. I am trying to figure out if the Scalpel SI 3 would be a good new purchase, or if 100mm in the front is too little. And, if that's the case, whether the SE 1 would be light and fast enough or too squishy.

#47 ·
I'm looking for a light full suspension bike to ride on flowy hardpack trails on the east coast with roots and some rocks. I currently ride a 120mm carbon hardtail and like it much better than my squishy trail bike. I am trying to figure out if the Scalpel SI 3 would be a good new purchase, or if 100mm in the front is too little. And, if that's the case, whether the SE 1 would be light and fast enough or too squishy.
Sounds like a Habit would be more suitable for you, imo.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

#51 ·
The Scalpel is a very well mannered XC bike. But it is intended as an XC bike. Yes, it will probably handle that type of riding just fine, but that wasn't the intention of the bike. I ride my F-Si on enduro trails that I see people skipping on actual enduro bikes. But my trail bike is the better option.

The Habit, forgetting wheel size, is developed for that type of riding. Cross country/all mountain style of riding, but not specifically racing.

The Bad Habit can take 29" wheels, if that is an issue to you. I was planning on making that my next bike since I wanted to be able to swap between 650b+ and 29, but ended up going long travel enduro instead which fits my riding style better.

#52 ·
Interesting, thanks. I for whatever reason enjoy a faster more efficient bike than one with more suspension. I have a full sus trail bike which is a slog to ride so I almost always am on my carbon hardtail with the rear tire pressure up above 40 psi. I am interested in getting a better full system bike than the one I have, but am very paranoid about getting one that's too heavy and too much of a slog again. Things like the Yeti ASRc look appealing.

#53 ·
Only way to know is test riding them.

I personally didn't really like the Habit, but I already had a very similar bike so it was totally redundant and I'm now converting that bike into my endurance XC bike (650b 130mm FS). I wanted a Scalpel for XC racing, but my budget is limited so I'm sticking with my F-Si for racing. I needed something that can handle my daily abuse more, so I went long travel enduro (which I've already beaten to **** in one month).

#64 ·
Anyone in here been on a 2018 Epic FS? Same headtube angle as the Scalpel SI, but very different trail numbers from fork offsets.

Wondering how they compare on feel. I have been able to test the Scalpel, but cannot locate a new Epic around here to try before making a decision on purchase.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#67 ·
Agreed!

I have noticed the same thing in reviews of the Scalpel and the Epic! Similar head tube angles, but very different fork offsets - 42 mm for the Epic and 55 mm for the Scalpel. And yet the promo material from the manufacturers and from the reviews say the same thing - more stability down steep hills, still nimble on climbs. Which makes no sense. Each company went in opposite directions on their fork offsets but the outcome in handling is the same??? Can anyone explain that?

Anyone in here been on a 2018 Epic FS? Same headtube angle as the Scalpel SI, but very different trail numbers from fork offsets.

Wondering how they compare on feel. I have been able to test the Scalpel, but cannot locate a new Epic around here to try before making a decision on purchase.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#69 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and the review. Very helpful. Somewhat reassuring to know someone else was confused by the very different approaches taken by two different reputable bike manufacturers.

It sounds like you feel the Specialized fork is to blame and that you are going to possibly replace. Looking forward to the outcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.