mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2018 Cannondale Mountain Bikes

I've seen the announcements for the 2018 Jekyll and Trigger, but any info on the other MTB models like F-Si, etc?

I'm assuming they'll add a thru-axle and internal cable routing to the F-Si at some point, but will this be the year?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Will Cannondale sell the 2018 Trigger/Jekyll frame with shock only since they've gone away from the Lefty?

mtbr member
    In the past years looks like they have 4 "Pro" product lines (AM/ Trail/ XC FS/ XC HT, not talking about the beginner lines) which get updated once every 4 years with an early announcement.
    2015 - F-SI
    2016 - Habit
    2017 - Scalpel
    2018 - Trigger/ Jakyll

So after the AM line got updated for 2018, next in line is the F-SI, but I think it'll just be a year from now.

Then again - I'm just assuming...

mtbr member
    Can't see the FSI being updated for a while tbh,
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    I think we have to wait until the last worldscups or eurobike.
    Maybe we will see a new lefty 3.0, too.
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80

mtbr member
    May 2004
    what would a Lefty 3.0 bring?
    :efty 2.0 is so called due to it being the result of a major shift in geometry.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Only thing we might expect from cannondale is an update to trunnion mount rear shocks. I don't expect that before the 2019 model year for the scalpel.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    what would a Lefty 3.0 bring?
    There's always room for innovation... Just some proposals below
    1. Mechanical lockout instead of current hydraulic one. It would especially be great to get a switch, because PBR button is totally unusable.
    2. A cassette tool to remove and install the top cap https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13432018/
    3. New damper and better low speed sensitivity, especially in cold temperatures below 8C
    4. Current weight of Lefty forks is very uncompetitive compared to latest RockShox SID and FOX Step-Cast, so some diet is really needed!
    5. Possibility to completely disassemble the fork and do a proper maintenance without the need to visit service center.
    6. Quick release system to change front wheel. Leonardi has some good ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIPDTkVD9bs

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Point 4 is the only criteria that could lead to Lefty 3.0. If cannondale have abandoned longer travel Lefty for good then there is opportunity to lighten the structure by backtracking to older design. Currently Lefty is based on Lefty max structure hence the heft. I would love to see Lefty back at 1.3kg for 110mm travel and 29er.

The low speed sensitivity at low temp can be corrected with a lighter oil. Try a 3wt.

The top cap comes off with a shimano bb tool if I'm not mistaken. My older Lefty forks all used that tool to remove the top cap.

A quick release bolt for the from wheel why? There's no need to get the wheel off in a hurry but if you do you also need to loosen the front brake caliper!

Current air springs and damping is rock shox based. The best Lefty I owned was the Lefty Fox RLC. Ti spring with RLC damping circa 2008/2009
    DLR LEFTY used X -FUSION internals iirc. Cannondale never made their own dampers since they launched Lefty in 2001. I think improvements can be made to overall damping but the Base suspension is tunable. I would certainly like to see standard tooling used to access the air springs and perhaps a Formula style replaceable damping unit to tune the compression one self.
    However, currently that is all possible to achieve at home if you know what you are doing

Happy Trails
    130mm 29er is a gap in the line-up. And the fork is no longer worth the hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    The low speed sensitivity at low temp can be corrected with a lighter oil. Try a 3wt.
    Do you have any user manual on how this can be achieved for Lefty 2.0?

The top cap comes off with a shimano bb tool if I'm not mistaken. My older Lefty forks all used that tool to remove the top cap.
    New forks need 36mm socket - KH127

A quick release bolt for the from wheel why? There's no need to get the wheel off in a hurry but if you do you also need to loosen the front brake caliper!
    The problem with existing removal is that not only it is extremely slow, but also if you are in the field you need to be very careful to not to contaminate the grease on the spindle and not to strip the helicoil inside it 2018 Cannondale Mountain Bikes-leftythreads.jpg

Currently Lefty is based on Lefty max structure hence the heft.
    I also have a feeling that it was based on supermax, the only question is why!? I really doubt somebody would race on their Scalpel or F-SI in Enduro events or Bike Parks!

P.S. Also I have one more idea for Cannondale, it would be good to have a better indication that needle bearings have migrated and are in need of reset. Maybe some transparent window on the fork or some indicator that turns red... A bluetooth sensor maybe?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like that last suggestion.

OK it's a 36mm socket now. Can't see why the heck they would change to that other than to make it difficult to access the internals.

Re the front wheel removal. Yes it's a pain and yes you have to be careful not to trash the heli coil but in 16 years of owning various Lefry's I have never needed to remove the front wheel except for maintenance to the fork or wheel bearing replacement. I'm sure a Formula one style wheel nut can be developed but cannondale pricing is already taking the mickey out of ridiculous bike pricing

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't have any Lefty 2.0 manuals

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandrik View Post
    The problem with existing removal is that not only it is extremely slow, but also if you are in the field you need to be very careful to not to contaminate the grease on the spindle and not to strip the helicoil inside it

P.S. Also I have one more idea for Cannondale, it would be good to have a better indication that needle bearings have migrated and are in need of reset. Maybe some transparent window on the fork or some indicator that turns red... A bluetooth sensor maybe?
    You shouldn't have to ever remove your wheel "out in the field".

I agree with Brad, you should only have to remove it for certain lefty repairs that you as a consumer, probably won't perform.

As for the indication for bearing reset, just let all of the air out of the fork and measure from the bottom seal to the tapered edge above the lefty spindle, if it's more than 35mm (+/- 3mm), then you need to reset. I put a piece of electrical tape on the motoguard to mark the 35-ish mm area is so I don't have to measure every time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md
    You shouldn't have to ever remove your wheel "out in the field".
    I tried to change the tube, while the wheel was on the bike and I did not like it at all! Removing wheel and changing tube is much easier.

Also during racing you will loose a lot of time while changing wheel in the pit stop with existing system.

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md
    As for the indication for bearing reset, just let all of the air out of the fork and measure from the bottom seal to the tapered edge above the lefty spindle, if it's more than 35mm (+/- 3mm), then you need to reset.
    This is exactly what I want to avoid. Sounds really silly to do this procedure before every ride, doesn't it? Or how often should I do it, after my fifth ride or tenth ride?

It is also really difficult to feel that the bearings need reset while riding, sometimes it only becomes evident by doing some drop or jump, so during landing you suddenly feel that you have lost full travel. And it is very unpleasant.

P.S. Really like the Formula One wheel nut

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bottoming the fork out resets the bearings - if you aren't bottoming it out on big stuff play with your sag and volume spacers.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Bottoming the fork out resets the bearings - if you aren't bottoming it out on big stuff play with your sag and volume spacers.
    This is very true. I've had to reset the bearings myself maybe 2 or three times in the years I've owned Lefty(s).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Does cannondale normally sell frame only ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone have a time frame of when MY 2018 Cannondales are released and typical availability?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Does cannondale normally sell frame only ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Some of the distributors do offer frame and Lefty options. Best to speak to your LBS to find out if their distributor offers frame and Lefty as a package

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dslaw View Post
    Anyone have a time frame of when MY 2018 Cannondales are released and typical availability?
    MY 2018 bikes are currently being showcased to the distributors and dealers. Public launch generally happens from July with models in store around September.