Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 686
  1. #1
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,148

    2017 Scalpel Count-Down

    I was racing a local race in Arizona today at McDowell Mountain Park near Phoenix. Cannondale had a demo going on and "I talked to a guy who knew a guy who heard about a guy ....." And so I heard the new Scalpel will be put in about 60 days. I saw an image of it ... But just a CAD cartoon, not a photo. Looked like 69 degrees and 4 inches of travel. But again ... It was just a Cad. Probably will be a super nice bike, though.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    338
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-_20160313_115416.jpg

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    667
    Very cool bike.....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    49
    yep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Scalpel Count-Down-uploadfromtaptalk1457883415193.jpg  

    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-uploadfromtaptalk1457883411267.jpg  

    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-uploadfromtaptalk1457883404163.jpg  


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kayba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    244
    Good looking bike, BUT sadly with a pivot. I would have preferred a completely pivotless design...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    i wish they would just hurry up and take my money.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    i wish they would just hurry up and take my money.
    This. I'm gonna get one, pretty much no matter what.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  8. #8
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Looks like my Yeti ASRc's rear end.

    Hopefully it rides like it.

    Looks like an awesome bike.
    Death from Below.

  9. #9
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,653
    1x only? No seatstay bridge either. Looks to have a light progressive leverage curve (rather than a typical regressive-progressive curve) with low average leverage ratio.

    Don't like this trend of making the seat angle look as slack as the fork angle. Effective SA will be steeper, since the seat tube's offset forward of the BB by over an inch, but still...

    Makes me think that 29er front and 27.5 rear might be the future of XC bikes, if they still have to compromise like this. Extra torsional stiffness in the rear would help create confidence in cornering.

    Wonder if that stem will be stock.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS

    Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

  10. #10
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,653
    Nm, I see a post for an E-type FD on the chainstay, and routing for side-swing style. Can't tell if it has AI offset rear end or not, but I wouldn't be against it.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS

    Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    41

    Lefty 2.0

    Can anyone tell if it's using a lefty 2.0?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post

    Wonder if that stem will be stock.
    Could not be stock, because it is a Leonardi Racing stem.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    289
    We should hear more today. Reps are getting the info today.
    Looks to be offset like FSi

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    We should hear more today. Reps are getting the info today.
    Looks to be offset like FSi
    Please keep us posted. I'm really excited for this. Already lining up a guy to repaint it
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  15. #15
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 03-16-2016 at 03:25 PM.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,001
    its got Lefty 2.0 fitted.
    Sizzing info ........

    Sorry been sworn to secrecy. But its going to be worth the wait. Its nearly a 1/3rd of a pound lighter than the outgoing frame.
    Feels stiffer along the top tube in torsion and the rear is stiffer. Think short travel habit with a bit more racy geo and lighter carbon layup

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MegaMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    328
    I can't believe no one mentioned the TWO bottle cages!!!
    This is a BIG deal to us endurance guys!

    _Matt
    I just wanna ride...

  18. #18
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,148
    Ummm that's called a hardtail

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,001
    The bottle cages are an obvious upgrade as seen in the pictures hence no one mentioned them. The less obvious change is the geometry (fsi) but not as extreme as other manufacturers.
    1x dedicated
    The rear shock seems to be hiding something....

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMustang View Post
    I can't believe no one mentioned the TWO bottle cages!!!
    This is a BIG deal to us endurance guys!

    _Matt
    Those look like custom sized bottles to me. I wonder what their capacity is.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    The rear shock seems to be hiding something....
    Now that's slick for sure.....

  22. #22
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    1x dedicated
    It's not 1x specific, there is a front derailleur mount and routing for a cable or wire. Manuel Fumic's bike uses the mount to fix a chain guide.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kayba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    244
    Another pic from the Cape Epic
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-scalpel-2017.jpg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    97
    does it have the same travel more or less?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by jan vb View Post
    does it have the same travel more or less?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and venture a guess that the bike pictured is 120mm front, 110mm rear (or more). I know this is supposed to be the Scalpel, their XC world cup bike, and that would imply 100mm or less...but...

    That shock looks to have at least a 50mm stroke. This normally aligns more with bikes in the 120mm-130mm range, and I think the current 100mm travel bike has a 38mm stroke.

    The gap under the bottom clamp of the left to the tire looks to be far more than 100mm.

    The bike looks great, excited to hear more details.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    5

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    718
    I can't wait for more information on this to come out. I'm sold already. All Cannonade have to do is take my money.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    It's not 1x specific, there is a front derailleur mount and routing for a cable or wire. Manuel Fumic's bike uses the mount to fix a chain guide.
    Yes there is a mount but cannondale only accommodated that to allow di2 Xtr.
    The bikers intended to be sold with Si or SiSL hollow gram cranks only and 1x.
    On Thursday it'll make more sense....

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yes there is a mount but cannondale only accommodated that to allow di2 Xtr.The bikers intended to be sold with Si or SiSL hollow gram cranks only and 1x. On Thursday it'll make more sense....
    Whoa! you can't just say something like that, then give it a .... That's not cool.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HSracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    394
    Anyone notice that the OPI stem is back?

    Huge plus in my eyes

  31. #31
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yes there is a mount but cannondale only accommodated that to allow di2 Xtr.
    The bikers intended to be sold with Si or SiSL hollow gram cranks only and 1x.
    On Thursday it'll make more sense....
    Not entirely surprising given that the rumored 'just around the corner' 1x SRAM cassette is something like 10-50 (and their video mourning the death of front derailleurs).

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    yes there is a mount but cannondale only accommodated that to allow di2 xtr.
    The bikers intended to be sold with si or sisl hollow gram cranks only and 1x.
    On thursday it'll make more sense....
    what's happening thursday?!?! Brad i love/hate you!!!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    289
    Probably the day they are officially announcing to the sales reps, etc. I thought that day was last week but it is sometime this week

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Oh yeah, tomorrow is March 24, aka SRAM Eagle day. That makes a lot of sense. Can't show the build kits if they're 12 speed.

    a buddy of mine said that he will be able to order a SC Hightower with that group tomorrow.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freak6767's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    103
    Updated OPI stem are indeed back for 2017 model across the line.
    Scalpel will be the first of 3 brand new bikes for 2017 (scalpel, jekyll & e-bike all suspended)

  36. #36
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    Oh yeah, tomorrow is March 24, aka SRAM Eagle day. That makes a lot of sense. Can't show the build kits if they're 12 speed.

    a buddy of mine said that he will be able to order a SC Hightower with that group tomorrow.
    The eagle has landed...

    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-ceroib_ueaaaibk.jpg-large.jpeg

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    The eagle has landed...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CeROib_UEAAAibK.jpg-large.jpeg 
Views:	1328 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	1058965
    Nice. Is that XX1 level?

  38. #38
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    Nice. Is that XX1 level?
    From the XX1 logo on the derailleur, I'd guess it is yes.

    EDIT: There's also a X.0 version: https://www.facebook.com/2Bici/posts/1203465836338032
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 03-23-2016 at 07:31 PM.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    From the XX1 logo on the derailleur, I'd guess it is yes.

    EDIT: There's also a X.0 version: https://www.facebook.com/2Bici/posts/1203465836338032
    Yeah, pictures on the X01 Eagle stuff have been on the interwebs for a couple of months now

    Possible leaked photos of New SRAM 12 speed Eagle drivetrain | The Bike Comes First

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,001
    SRAM 12-speed MTB Eagle X01 and XX1 wide-range drivetrain: first look, details and prices - BikeRadar


    expect to see the new Scalpel and Jekyll in stores around May/June. Official Launch is at Sea Otter I believe

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fueledbymetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMustang View Post
    I can't believe no one mentioned the TWO bottle cages!!!
    This is a BIG deal to us endurance guys!

    _Matt
    Hells yeah!!!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    822
    two bottle cages...SOLD!

  43. #43
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Oups...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg
    These are on the net. photo shopped
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    106
    he just lost warranty
    happy trails
    @realredbyte
    www.mtb-siegerland.de

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Oh, come on! The Sea Otter is a week and a half away. Somebody has to know something that they want to share.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    Oh, come on! The Sea Otter is a week and a half away. Somebody has to know something that they want to share.
    I was speaking with a Rep on Friday and he said they aren't at liberty to say yet. I pressed on geometry and all he would say is that the Scalpel is in their opinion the premier full suspension race bike, here and abroad and that the bike will remain race orientated.

  49. #49
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    I was speaking with a Rep on Friday and he said they aren't at liberty to say yet. I pressed on geometry and all he would say is that the Scalpel is in their opinion the premier full suspension race bike, here and abroad and that the bike will remain race orientated.
    And changing the HTA to 69.5 degrees won't change that in eyes of most people, I'd imagine.

    I hope it's going to remain a race bike, not a trail bike. No slacker than 69 degrees, please.
    Death from Below.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    389
    I hope it stays 70+. there are literally hundreds of bike out there if you want a slack head angle and 100-140mm of suspension. why ruin a perfect good race bike to join the ranks of such a crowded field.

  51. #51
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    I hope it stays 70+. there are literally hundreds of bike out there if you want a slack head angle and 100-140mm of suspension. why ruin a perfect good race bike to join the ranks of such a crowded field.
    The F-Si and like frames are a great example of WHY you should do it.

    ...Because they blow the doors off of 71 degree HTA bikes.

    I'm not suggesting they should make it a 66 degree bike.

    My Yeti ASRc with 120mm fork is the fastest bike I've ridden, both up and down, on rough and technical terrain. A 100mm Scalpel at 69.5 would be great.
    Death from Below.

  52. #52
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,653
    Slack head tube will lower the front end to get your cockpit lower. Lowering your CoG increases stability, on top of the additional wheelbase from the slacker HA increasing stability.

    The extra rake/offset in the Lefty will mitigate the negative steering traits of the slacker HA.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS

    Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The F-Si and like frames are a great example of WHY you should do it.

    ...Because they blow the doors off of 71 degree HTA bikes.

    I'm not suggesting they should make it a 66 degree bike.

    My Yeti ASRc with 120mm fork is the fastest bike I've ridden, both up and down, on rough and technical terrain. A 100mm Scalpel at 69.5 would be great.
    100% agree. Living in CO, the slacker the head angle, the better for me (within reason). I can't remember the last time I raced on a course, or ridden a trail, where a quick handling bike would be an advantage. Not to mention UCI XCO courses aren't what they used to be...

    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-rio-1.jpg

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    389
    Well we will have to agree to disagree. what ever they do i hope the keep the scalpel as an xc machine and not try to blur the line of all mountain. I am in MN so down hill for me is totally different then anyone out west. if i lived out west the last bike on my list would be a scalpel. i would go habit or trigger. it seems that most of the complaints about the scalpels steep HA are from people that are pushing the boundaries of what it was designed for. either way i am excited to see the new model.

    cheers.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    49
    Thats why they made the HABBIT



    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Well we will have to agree to disagree. what ever they do i hope the keep the scalpel as an xc machine and not try to blur the line of all mountain. I am in MN so down hill for me is totally different then anyone out west. if i lived out west the last bike on my list would be a scalpel. i would go habit or trigger. it seems that most of the complaints about the scalpels steep HA are from people that are pushing the boundaries of what it was designed for. either way i am excited to see the new model.

    cheers.

  56. #56
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Well we will have to agree to disagree. what ever they do i hope the keep the scalpel as an xc machine and not try to blur the line of all mountain. I am in MN so down hill for me is totally different then anyone out west. if i lived out west the last bike on my list would be a scalpel. i would go habit or trigger. it seems that most of the complaints about the scalpels steep HA are from people that are pushing the boundaries of what it was designed for. either way i am excited to see the new model.

    cheers.
    "Pushing the boundaries of what it was designed for."

    It's designed for XC racing. XC racing can and does get a lot rougher than what you experience in MN. A 69 degree Scalpel wouldn't give up anything to a 71 degree Scalpel on the flats or going uphill. It would just go faster down rough and technical terrain.

    The CFR guys regularly ride rough XCO tracks at speeds we can only imagine. They love the F-Si, and I'm guessing they had a hand in the new Scalpel's geometry as well.

    Until the Scalpel is getting 140mm travel front and rear, it is hardly blurring the line of "all mountain".
    Death from Below.

  57. #57
    Calgon, take me away!
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Slack head tube will lower the front end to get your cockpit lower.
    Not sure I follow you here. If needed, a flipped stem and dropper bars should allow 99% of riders to get the bars as low as they would want.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    "Pushing the boundaries of what it was designed for."

    It's designed for XC racing. XC racing can and does get a lot rougher than what you experience in MN. A 69 degree Scalpel wouldn't give up anything to a 71 degree Scalpel on the flats or going uphill. It would just go faster down rough and technical terrain.

    The CFR guys regularly ride rough XCO tracks at speeds we can only imagine. They love the F-Si, and I'm guessing they had a hand in the new Scalpel's geometry as well.

    Until the Scalpel is getting 140mm travel front and rear, it is hardly blurring the line of "all mountain".
    Le Duke is speaking my language.

  59. #59
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    Le Duke is speaking my language.
    I'm with you two... With the Lefty 2.0 geometry, the slacker than old school XC head angle is pretty much as good on tamer, slower, tighter trails and climbs but with the added benefit that it handles rougher, faster and downhills better. Given how good it works with the F-Si, it's logical to go that route with the Scalpel too. It's a win-win situation IMO. It widens the bike's abilities without hurting it's roots.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    254
    What it would be is harder to manage on the tight stuff and harder to flick around downhill.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140
    Whatever they do with it's geometry the scalpel will be a great bike, for trail and XC
    Inside word from CFR guys is that's it's designed to be very light

    Still hoping they build a Habit 29er with 120mm travel up front, 110mm rear

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140
    P.s
    Le Duke is on the money

  63. #63
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by yules View Post
    What it would be is harder to manage on the tight stuff and harder to flick around downhill.
    Does not compute.

    Are you arguing that 71 degree HTAs are better going downhill than a 69 degree HTA?

    They already went that route on their hardtail; I find it inconceivable that they wouldn't go that route on their FS. FS generally seeing rougher/steeper terrain than a HT, with the same rider.
    Last edited by Le Duke; 04-05-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Death from Below.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Does not compute.
    word ^_
    happy trails
    @realredbyte
    www.mtb-siegerland.de

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    I'm sure you guys have seen Cannondale's release page but if not here you go.

    builtforxxc

    They have a few Facebook posts out there as well saying we will know more on 4/29/2016.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    I'm sure you guys have seen Cannondale's release page but if not here you go.

    builtforxxc

    They have a few Facebook posts out there as well saying we will know more on 4/29/2016.
    oh... really? I was hoping the launch was going to be at Sea Otter.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thiago7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    I'm sure you guys have seen Cannondale's release page but if not here you go.

    builtforxxc

    They have a few Facebook posts out there as well saying we will know more on 4/29/2016.
    On my phone I couldn't see nothing but xc is dead.


    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    628
    You also saw the "X" logo which is a great hint at what's coming


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    5
    Scalpel Si 2017

  70. #70
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Rush View Post
    Scalpel Si 2017
    OK...?

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  71. #71
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,653
    There's a standard called EVO6, that combines boost with Ai offset rear end (F-Si style). Wonder if this utilizes it. It puts all 6mm of offset on the driveside, which makes plenty of sense, in terms of chainline and creating more space on the driveside BB area.

    Also wonder about the wider hub used on the Supermax, potentially being utilized on the non-oversized Lefty. When they redid the dimensions of the upper clamps, for more offset and to fit shorter stems, they could've made room for this hub to be utilized. Don't think the axle necessarily needs to be extended--the hub can just increase in width, while the bearings and lockring can remain in the same place (may have a bit of overhanging hubshell, that can be masked by a newer lockring or hubcap).

    Zero dish wheels both front and rear would make for a 29er wheelset that's stronger than any Boost variety out there, making the vast amount of non-assym/offset spoke hole rims out there way more solid and reliable. Would actually welcome zero dish wheels being the new marketing buzz to get people to buy the latest gen stuff.

    I want to see lighter rims and a lighter version of ProCore adapted for XC race too. I see Spec has some sort of bead lock patented, and also a rim strip that covers even the bead hooks patented. Maybe that's their plan to make lightweight rims tougher against rim strikes, and to eliminate burping. The beadlock works like a narrow TLR rim strip with flanges on the edges, with some sort of mechanism that separates the rim strip and lengthens it, so it will sit high up in the tire's main chamber, like a lightly inflated tube would, which would then be locked down once the tire beads are locked into place, dropping it back into the channel between the tire beads. Assuming both these technologies will need a rim specifically designed to interface with them.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS

    Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freak6767's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    103
    Long live the XXC :-)
    Shorter chain stay? 68• angle? 27,2mm seat post (so no reverb for now), asymmetrical drivetrain system? new solo air (finally!)?
    Just guessing ... lol
    This thing will fly...

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    628
    Actually those particular photos just about reveal the big secret....

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140
    Check out the front hub, its wide.
    Short stay! The rear wheel nearly overlaps the front cog, (36?)
    Thankfully it's no 27.2 seat post so we can run a dropper post

    I will take mine with the new "crests" and 1x12 with the 36 cog, throw in the XTR trail stoppers too please
    p.s Le Duke, buddy do you run a dropper for trail riding ?

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Actually those particular photos just about reveal the big secret....
    If the big secret is that it'll accept 27.5+ wheels and tires, i'll be completely underwhelmed.

  77. #77
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay1 View Post
    p.s Le Duke, buddy do you run a dropper for trail riding ?
    I'm currently running a dropper on my ASRc, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    If the big secret is that it'll accept 27.5+ wheels and tires, i'll be completely underwhelmed.
    It if's 27.5+, it's no longer an XC bike.
    Death from Below.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    If the big secret is that it'll accept 27.5+ wheels and tires, i'll be completely underwhelmed.
    I would be underwhelmed if that were it, too.....

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    151
    Tyre looks like a WTB Trailblazer: 27.5+

    Trailblazer | WTB

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140
    Whatever makes you think that he is running 27.5 x 2.8 rubber in a XC race? Did he come last!

  81. #81
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay1 View Post
    Whatever makes you think that he is running 27.5 x 2.8 rubber in a XC race? Did he come last!
    Ha Ha!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas View Post
    Tyre looks like a WTB Trailblazer: 27.5+

    Trailblazer | WTB
    I'm pretty sure Keegan's riding a WTB Nano in those pics.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I'm pretty sure Keegan's riding a WTB Nano in those pics.
    I thought it might have been, but thought the bag was a little bigger than a 2.1 (i think that's all the Nano comes in), and the tread pattern didn't line up, although that's fairly tricky to see from the pics!

    But yes, unlikely he'd run 2.8s in an XC race

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kayba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    244

  85. #85
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,653
    This "secret"?


    - Remote shock reservoir, hidden in the top tube. Could be a mini brain, which could be linked to the fork using their Simon technology.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS

    Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    This "secret"?


    - Remote shock reservoir, hidden in the top tube. Could be a mini brain, which could be linked to the fork using their Simon technology.
    Whoa... Where'd you find that? Looks like a patent image.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    628
    Now ur getting it....

  88. #88
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,653
    Not much of a secret when it's patented.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS

    Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    All you need to know and more...

    Bicycle Suspension System (Cycling Sports Group) Patent US 20160046346

    The valve/reservoir unit includes an electro mechanical actuator (EMA), which may be a rotational electro mechanical actuator (REMA), a lock-out valve, which may be a rotary actuated lock-out valve, in operable communication with the EMA/REMA, and a blow-off valve, which will be described in more detail below. For ease of discussion, reference is made herein to a REMA (also herein referred to as an actuator) and a rotary actuated lock-out valve that is actuated by the REMA, but it will be appreciated that an EMA may be substituted for a REMA, and a non-rotary lock-out valve may be substituted for a rotary lock-out valve, without detracting from a scope of the invention disclosed herein.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    628
    "X" marks the spot....

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    Walked into the shop as the Cdale rep was leaving. He had just given the crew the details but of course they weren't at liberty to say. I did get out of them 69.5 degree HTA, possibly no more head tube spacer and sub 700mm chainstays.
    I'm hoping they kept the spacer so I could take the HTA to an even 69 degrees.

  92. #92
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    Walked into the shop as the Cdale rep was leaving. He had just given the crew the details but of course they weren't at liberty to say. I did get out of them 69.5 degree HTA, possibly no more head tube spacer and sub 700mm chainstays.
    I'm hoping they kept the spacer so I could take the HTA to an even 69 degrees.
    Sub-700m CS, eh?

    Death from Below.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    Walked into the shop as the Cdale rep was leaving. He had just given the crew the details but of course they weren't at liberty to say. I did get out of them 69.5 degree HTA, possibly no more head tube spacer and sub 700mm chainstays.
    I'm hoping they kept the spacer so I could take the HTA to an even 69 degrees.
    700mm chainstay... Head tube spacer -- HTA? Did you perhaps smoke some crack with them before you left?

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    This "secret"?


    - Remote shock reservoir, hidden in the top tube. Could be a mini brain, which could be linked to the fork using their Simon technology.
    Cool, but it doesn't look like any of the bikes under the racers are so equipped. Maybe those with a Fox shock, but there is no evidence of control lines/wires going into the frames.

    Keegans bike at Sea Otter didn't have any cables going into the main frame and was equipped with a Mornarch shock and I doubt it would communicate through is Shimano Di2 stuff. At Cairns, he has it set up with a Full Sprint remote.

    We shall see, that patent come to life could be pretty cool.
    Last edited by brentos; 04-21-2016 at 02:42 PM.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Paul Proteus View Post
    700mm chainstay... Head tube spacer -- HTA? Did you perhaps smoke some crack with them before you left?
    I assume you're being sarcastic but just in case you are not. Here is what I meant.
    Chainstays are rumored to be sub 400mm. The 7 was a slip of the finger. You got me.
    There is a 10mm spacer that goes on top of the head tube that fills the gap between the clamps of the Lefty. Many people move that spacer to the bottom of the HT to raise the stack and there by reduce the head tube angle (HTA) by half a degree.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    I assume you're being sarcastic but just in case you are not. Here is what I meant.
    Chainstays are rumored to be sub 400mm. The 7 was a slip of the finger. You got me.
    There is a 10mm spacer that goes on top of the head tube that fills the gap between the clamps of the Lefty. Many people move that spacer to the bottom of the HT to raise the stack and there by reduce the head tube angle (HTA) by half a degree.
    400mm = 15.75". That's probably not possible, or desirable. i'm guessing that they meant 17"

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Cool, but it doesn't look like any of the bikes under the racers are so equipped. Maybe those with a Fox shock.....
    ....you may be on to something

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    106
    Sorry, just being a wise-ass. Still though... 400mm stays would be crazy short - the F-Si's were 430 or so. I also don't think that spacer you mention exists anymore, but I was picturing someone thinking moving the current spacers around somehow changed HTA. I can see how moving a spacer between the clamps from above the HT to below would muck with the geometry, but that spacer doesn't exist (at least on newer lefty's).

    It'll be interesting to see what C'Dale has developed... only a week away.

  99. #99
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,848
    I hope they aren't below 17". This isn't a bike for fat dudes puttering through the "gnar".

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Paul Proteus View Post
    Sorry, just being a wise-ass. Still though... 400mm stays would be crazy short - the F-Si's were 430 or so. I also don't think that spacer you mention exists anymore, but I was picturing someone thinking moving the current spacers around somehow changed HTA. I can see how moving a spacer between the clamps from above the HT to below would muck with the geometry, but that spacer doesn't exist (at least on newer lefty's).

    It'll be interesting to see what C'Dale has developed... only a week away.
    I was just tired and read your response wrong.
    You are right, 400mm would be too short and as packfill pointed out they probably did say sub 17 inches.
    Here is a picture of a 2013 Scalpel and Lefty with the spacer moved to the bottom of the head tube.

    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-img_1873.jpg

    I moved the spacer to slow the steering down a bit. I have a habit of over steering at speed causing the front wheel to fold up and send me over the handle bars.
    Stock HTA is 71.2 and now I'm sitting at 70.7. It works great for me and few others on here. I like adjustability.

    Either way I'm super excited for the new bike to come out. The Scalpel is long over due.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Nomad - Changes...?
    By JbernardDanville in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 401
    Last Post: 06-02-2017, 08:06 AM
  2. 2017 Epic
    By slav in forum Specialized
    Replies: 236
    Last Post: 12-16-2016, 09:11 AM
  3. what's new for 2017?
    By ccm in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 09-27-2016, 08:26 PM
  4. Where to go in 2017??
    By WoodstockMTB in forum Europe
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 01:17 PM
  5. 2017 Tallboy LT?
    By sb1616ne in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 243
    Last Post: 01-28-2016, 11:51 AM

Members who have read this thread: 293

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •