Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    After upgrading the drivetrain to Sram XX1 Eagle on the Scalpel Si, and shortened the shifter hose, seems the shifting is a bit harsh, not smooth enough, how does you guys route the shifter cable, and what should be the correct length for the hose? thanks!

mtbr member
    Maybe the cable is not running smooth in the hose?
    You checked the cutted end for edges?

The XX1/Eagle normally dont need a long hose because of linear/parallel shifting.
    Check the manuals of sram.
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzzz View Post
    Maybe the cable is not running smooth in the hose?
    You checked the cutted end for edges?

The XX1/Eagle normally dont need a long hose because of linear/parallel shifting.
    Check the manuals of sram.
    Cutted end is smooth, I will check with Sram manual first, thanks!

mtbr member
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...rigger-shifter

In the video they arent really talking about hose length but it seems very short.
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY3XzffYjUU

It is worth a look. Double check the B adjustment. Eagle is particular about that part of the setup. Short housing is usually an issue that is fine in the workstand but shows up while riding (suspension compresses and handlebars turn).

mtbr member
    So after 400 miles i dismounted the crank

499g with the 36 tooth ring
    I measured the axle and the spacer, too. Seems to be 9mm more than the standard long BB30 axles.

The bearing on nondrive side was already dry but not rusty so i added some grease as usual.

The guys from Cdale werent that awake when the mounted the bike?! Found a plug for the derrailleur inside the bb

Lefty XLR 2.0 weighs 1499g with light carbonfender (15g) and no xloc. The Xloc is about 79g, so the 110mm L-Version is as heavy as my old XLR medium from the F-Si

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-lefty2.0xlr110mmohnexloc.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-pluginside.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-srameaglebb30ai36t.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-srameaglebb30aispacer.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-welleeagleai.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-welleeagleai_2.jpg
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm just wondering about your height and inseam? I'm kinda in between L and XL myself. Not sure which way I should go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...rigger-shifter

In the video they arent really talking about hose length but it seems very short.
    Thanks for the video, and I figured out the issue finally, it was the dropout! Since the dropout on the Scalpel Si is movable, it has been moved up a bit when I took off the rear wheel before, so it affected the B screw adjustment, that's why it has delay shifting. Reinstall the rear wheel and move the dropout back properly, adjust the B screw with the tool provided, problem solved!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just picked up a new Scalpel Carbon 3. This was my first lefty and I had a question about setting the suspension. The recommended PSI for my weight is 87psi but the fork barely compresses with <80psi. Has anyone noticed that they have to go much lower than recommended to set up your fork sag?

On the rear, my past Rockshox was set at 115psi but on this Monarch XX, I am at 90psi and it is barely hitting 20% sag. Has anyone noticed that they have gone much lower than usual to set up the shock sag?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jepp, like every other manufacturer.
    My rec. pressure was 117 but i am about 90-95psi depending on conditions.

But for the monarch it seems to be very progressive. So with 25-30% you could be lucky to use the full travel. depending on your riding style.
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Good day Chrizzz,

Just ordered a Si4 here is south Africa. Can you share some wisdom on the conversion to the OPI stem? Not too many guys know it can be doena nd I personally love them.

Callum

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are going to use a opi stem i personaly would buy a leonardi opi tube that doesnt need a expander in it to hold up.

mtbr member
    The OPI Stem aint the problem! You can use any.

But you need to buy a LEONARDI STEERER depending on your headtube-lenght.
    (Incl. a leonardi spacerkit) You wont find any cannondale original tubes, i think.

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-opistem.jpg
    Last edited by Chrizzzz; 02-01-2017 at 04:58 AM.
    For sale:

bike rider
    Jepp, like every other manufacturer.
    My rec. pressure was 117 but i am about 90-95psi depending on conditions.

But for the monarch it seems to be very progressive. So with 25-30% you could be lucky to use the full travel. depending on your riding style.
    I've seen several comments on here about the rear suspension being very progressive, using more sag than normal for an XC bike and still not getting close to full travel. To my eye the suspension design does not appear very progressive, if at all. Does someone want to double check this on Linkage*?
    Has anyone opened up the air can to see if it has spacers in it? Tried removing them? My preference for this type of bike is a fairly linear rear suspension.

*I can't be bothered cuz I already decided to get a Spark RC instead.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    So after 400 miles i dismounted the crank

499g with the 36 tooth ring
    I measured the axle and the spacer, too. Seems to be 9mm more than the standard long BB30 axles.

The bearing on nondrive side was already dry but not rusty so i added some grease as usual.

The guys from Cdale werent that awake when the mounted the bike?! Found a plug for the derrailleur inside the bb

Lefty XLR 2.0 weighs 1499g with light carbonfender (15g) and no xloc. The Xloc is about 79g, so the 110mm L-Version is as heavy as my old XLR medium from the F-Si
    Useful information, thx Chrizzzz
    Any idea how the Eagle crank weight compares to the stock SI Crank on the Scalpel 1?

mtbr member
    The Stock Si Cranks are the same (Spindle/Spacer) as the F-Si Cranks.

The Eagle with 36t Ring: 499g
    Cannondale Si 34t Spidering: 522,8g incl. axle and spacers
    Cannondale Si 34t Sram XX1 + spider: 546g incl. axle and spider
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Today a Scalpel-Si 5 Alloy BLack/Blue arrived.

1. Size L
    2. 28,65 lbs (13kg)
    3. 2nd cage mount, of course!

Lefty PBR
    SRAM GX 2x11 w. Si Crank
    ZTR Rapid wheels
    C3 post, bar

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-20170202_203957.jpg
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Some nice weights..

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-monarchxxinkl.leitung.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-scalpelsiteamhminclbearings.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-siteamhmw.bearings.jpg
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I received my scalpel 2 on friday.

Stripped it down to swap out a few parts....Figured I might as well weigh the frame...Chrizz, I couldnt get the cable holder out of the bottom port, but I think everything else is about equal/same as how you did it in the pictures.

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-qrjb3dp.jpg

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-bcpysqo.jpg

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-kovyqdk.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice Non-HiMod-Frame!
    Ive got a picture of a Carbon Race in large instead. Not really heavier!

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-carbonrace_l.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-monarchxxinclhose.jpg

Why didnt you get the thing out?
    Needs some wigglewobblejiggle
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Oh ya, I should have added, my frame is a large

I messed with it for a while, called it a night before i ended up breaking something

Master of Beat
    I see the AL 5 is over 28 lbs! Yikes Has anyone gotten weights on the Carbon 4 and the Carbon 3?

I am curious since I am poor if I purchased a AL 5 model and converted to 1x with some upgrades to bars, seat tube, and seat if it might be an ok race bike?

mtbr member
    Own the carbon 3 in a small, 24 lbs.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member
    For sure... but you have to convert it

Black Inc: 10,1kg (M)
    Carbon Team HM: 10,2 - 10,44kg (M)
    Carbon Race HM: 10,48kg (M)
    Carbon 1 HM: 10,8kg ; 10,74kg (M) ; 10,6 (L)
    Carbon 2 Shimano: 10,85kg (M) ; 11,37 25,06lbs (XL)
    Carbon 2 Eagle: ???
    Carbon 3: 11,18kg (M) ; 11,3kg (L) ; 11,2kg (XL)
    Carbon 4: 12,25kg (M)
    Alloy 5: 13,0kg (L)
    Last edited by Chrizzzz; 02-10-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Good to know it's only about 40g of difference for the regular to HiMod large frames. Now I'm glad the Team and Carbon 1 were out of stock when I grabbed a Carbon 2 with the carbon lefty for next season. Money I saved paid for an xt Di2 kit and new wheels.

mtbr member
    Thats it!

And here are the actual weights of the Czero SL Wheelset:

1.547g (XD 142x12)

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-czerosl_hr.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-czerosl_vr.jpg
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No pict but my non-SL C-Zero's from carbon 2 come in at 949g for rear and 746g for front

1695g (XD 142x12)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    WHOO-HOO!

finally, maiden voyage today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Scalpel Count-Down-20170210_142543.jpg  

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-bike-lean.jpg  

just ride.

mtbr member
    CRESTs from carbon3 717 & 926 grams with yellow tape
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-dsc_0007.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-dsc_0005.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That looks awesome! How was the ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noreastn View Post
    Just picked up a new Scalpel Carbon 3. This was my first lefty and I had a question about setting the suspension. The recommended PSI for my weight is 87psi but the fork barely compresses with <80psi. Has anyone noticed that they have to go much lower than recommended to set up your fork sag?

On the rear, my past Rockshox was set at 115psi but on this Monarch XX, I am at 90psi and it is barely hitting 20% sag. Has anyone noticed that they have gone much lower than usual to set up the shock sag?

Thanks!
    Make sure the full sprint lockout is bled correctly. They come bled poorly and bled in a very warm environment. It needs to be re-bled especially if it's cold where you are.

Also if the lefty is too stuff at the end of the travel you can pull out some of the volume reducers in the lefty. Let out the air, remove the bottom air cap with a 24mm socket. If they dont fall out try bouncing the bike up and down and 2 10mm volume reducers should fall out. They do the same thing as RS tokens, so just tune it how it works for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    Let out the air, remove the bottom air cap with a 24mm socket.
    And it HAS to be a socket - do not use an adjustable wrench...don't ask me how I know...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by utah joe View Post
    I received my scalpel 2 on friday.
    Yo Joe!, Glad we got to meet up when I was picking up my Scalpel in NJ a couple months ago. Thanks for the local riding info and stans goo. Cant wait to meet up this spring and shred some trails.

mtbr member
    Between storms and freeze/thaw cycles Ive been able to hit up my local trails 4 times so far this winter and am feeling Very comfortable on this bike. I can charge down twisty hills with more confidence than my hardtail thanks to the optimized geometry and smooth&stiff lefty. Also, surprisingly, first time out I set a PR on an uphill trail that i am very familiar with and very competitive on. Felt alittle pedal kickback over uphill whoops that I have quickly adjusted the smoothness of my power delivery to accommodate. This change has noticeably improved my overall climbing endurance & capabilities. Overall, I am Very happy with the Scalpel SI

A few pics from the week that i picked it up:

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-sc1.jpg

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-sc2.jpg

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-sc3.jpg

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-sc4.jpg

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-sc5.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by attomixt View Post
    I am curious since I am poor if I purchased a AL 5 model and converted to 1x with some upgrades to bars, seat tube, and seat if it might be an ok race bike?
    Nope, You must have carbon fiber to be competitive in 2017, Carbon fiber is everything the industry and its fanatic consumers want you to believe and more. It is light and super stiff. And dont search for data on actual measured deflection comparison between a CF frame and its Alum counterpart. Also, dont think about exactly how stiff is necessary when you have several other components between you and the trail that are flexing considerably more including inches of suspension travel, squishy tires, and that flexible niner rdo seatpost that you just had to drop 150bucks on. Sure, I'm a guy that specs suspension setup for cars driven on a race track where we can clearly compare the difference between an OEM spring that is 400lbs/inch and an aftermarket one that takes twice the force to deflect an inch at 800lbs/inch. But in the bike world forget about all that mumbojumbo data that could help you make an intelligent decision. Just know that spending $1000 more for a carbon frame will give you a harder stiffy.

...OR, Is this what you want to here attomixt? :

The Scalpel SI-5 is more than an OK race bike.
    It has several advantages over other bikes that far outweigh frame material choice including:
    - 11-speed,
    - AI offset rear end,
    - "outFront" geometry (including 69.5degree lefty, 55mm front wheel hub offset, & shorter chainstay),
    - flat mounted rear brake caliper
    - Updated Lefty2.0 with 2spring internals that replaced the soloAir.

I would rather(by far) be riding my 2017 SI-5 over a Non-SI Carbon model from a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hello everyone, Iím a new user on the forum and tomorrow hopefully I am going to be a new scalpel 4 owner.
    I am still not convinced that size M is the right for me, Iím 180cm and my inseam mesures 83cm
    What size M or L will be better for me when climbing on long steep roads?
    The shop has only M on stock

I will very appreciate any quick advice.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 2000VELOCE; 02-13-2017 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    And it HAS to be a socket - do not use an adjustable wrench...don't ask me how I know...
    Figured that one out the hard way too...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by attomixt View Post
    I see the AL 5 is over 28 lbs! Yikes Has anyone gotten weights on the Carbon 4 and the Carbon 3?

I rode the AL 5 this weekend and I thought it ripped! I mainly did fire road climbs and few trails (muddy) and I loved it. I have an older 23lb hardtail and the AL 5 killed that thing. The only time I really disliked the bike is when I had to carry it inside. On the trails I had too much fun to think about the weight. Upgrading a few things and it would rock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Master of Beat
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperDom View Post
    Nope, You must have carbon fiber to be competitive in 2017, Carbon fiber is everything the industry and its fanatic consumers want you to believe and more. It is light and super stiff. And dont search for data on actual measured deflection comparison between a CF frame and its Alum counterpart. Also, dont think about exactly how stiff is necessary when you have several other components between you and the trail that are flexing considerably more including inches of suspension travel, squishy tires, and that flexible niner rdo seatpost that you just had to drop 150bucks on. Sure, I'm a guy that specs suspension setup for cars driven on a race track where we can clearly compare the difference between an OEM spring that is 400lbs/inch and an aftermarket one that takes twice the force to deflect an inch at 800lbs/inch. But in the bike world forget about all that mumbojumbo data that could help you make an intelligent decision. Just know that spending $1000 more for a carbon frame will give you a harder stiffy.

...OR, Is this what you want to here attomixt? :

The Scalpel SI-5 is more than an OK race bike.
    It has several advantages over other bikes that far outweigh frame material choice including:
    - 11-speed,
    - AI offset rear end,
    - "outFront" geometry (including 69.5degree lefty, 55mm front wheel hub offset, & shorter chainstay),
    - flat mounted rear brake caliper
    - Updated Lefty2.0 with 2spring internals that replaced the soloAir.

I would rather(by far) be riding my 2017 SI-5 over a Non-SI Carbon model from a couple years ago.
    I love your thinking. Do you have any approximate weight of your bike since 1x conversion and perhaps you are tubeless?

What were your thoughts on having a different shock in the back. As for the front although there is no lockout the PBR is lighter which I'm ok with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone set up their wheels tubeless on the Scalpel Carbon 3? I took off the tire and noticed there wasn't the typical yellow tape that comes on Stan's wheels. The tape is black and very rough. I'm unsure if I need to add Stan's yellow tape on top of the black tape or if I can just add sealant?

I saw above that some people had issues with their suspension. I did as well. I could not get my fork or shock to significantly compress. Through my local shop and Cannondale support, we learned that the suspension had to be fully bled. Sometimes an air bubble will develop during transportation. Works fine after the system was bled.

mtbr member
    If it is still glued on the rim and polyamid it should work. But dont mix it up with cotton tape like schwalbe.

Cannondale said that it should be better you or your dealer bled it once again before setting up the suspension.
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Got mine just about ready to go....Few more parts to swap around yet, but I finally got it out for a ride yesterday:

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-4qncqvn.jpg

I did a little ride report/comparison to my old scalpel here
    2017 cannondale scalpel | Page 5 | mtbNJ.com

Specs on mine:
    Scalpel si 2, large
    stans valors
    stock racing ralph SS tires
    Sram XX cassette, RD, shifter
    Selle italia SLR saddle - temp stolen off my old scalpel
    KCNC ti pro lite post - also stolen off my old scalpel
    Absolute black 34T direct mount
    Stages hollowgram PM
    SL driveside crankarm
    magura mt-8 brakes, 160 ai2 rotors (mt8 front wont fit w/160 btw, so im going to be using a 180...XT front brake in the picture)
    KCNC foam grips (not on yet)
    XTR pedals
    stock bar/stem/steerer for now

with those parts, it was 22.6 lbs

I should add that out of the box I weighed it...with tubes, no pedals...it was 24.9

mtbr member
    Shop did it before I even picked the bike up. No issues, but don't know what they used to do it.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I've seen several comments on here about the rear suspension being very progressive, using more sag than normal for an XC bike and still not getting close to full travel. To my eye the suspension design does not appear very progressive, if at all. Does someone want to double check this on Linkage?
    Has anyone opened up the air can to see if it has spacers in it? Tried removing them? My preference for this type of bike is a fairly linear rear suspension.
    Cannondale said that it would be better if you or your dealer bleed it once again before setting up the suspension.
    So, have the people who were having trouble getting much travel with 25% sag done a bleed and now have normal feeling suspension? Was it all just the lockouts affecting things or is the suspension too progressive from the factory?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For those getting very stiff suspension out of the box. The Rock Shox XX remote works such that the suspension will be locked out if the system is not bled correctly. If the floodgate is open you'll still get suspension action but it will be stiff. If the floodgate is closed you'll have completely locked out suspension.

So as others have said, bleed the XX remote system. That will solve most people's issues.

And in case you're wondering. Yes, if you have an XX remote failure while riding you will have locked out suspension. I think that's an oversight. I'd prefer Rock Shox design it to have open suspension if the remote failed. The strategy if you have a failure is to dial the floodgate to the full open position so you have as active as possible suspension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My local bike shop set it up tubeless but they replaced the tape on the rim and then set up tubeless

mtbr member
    Changed nothing but good to know!

Normally this works without bleeding the shock. If the lockout wont work for the shock after this procedure do it the same way like the fork.

For sale:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    For sure... but you have to convert it

Black Inc: 10,1kg (M)
    Carbon Team HM: 10,2 - 10,44kg (M)
    Carbon Race HM: 10,48kg (M)
    Carbon 1 HM: 10,8kg ; 10,74kg (M) ; 10,6 (L)
    Carbon 2 Shimano: 10,85kg (M) ; 11,37 25,06lbs (XL)
    Carbon 2 Eagle: ???
    Carbon 3: 11,18kg (M) ; 11,3kg (L) ; 11,2kg (XL)
    Carbon 4: 12,25kg (M)
    Alloy 5: 13,0kg (L)
    My size medium Carbon 2 Eagle weighed in at 24.11lbs with tubes.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Cannondale: Perp, SuperSix
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

mtbr member
    Equipped with SID?
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just got a Large Carbon 3. Straight out of the box, so with tubes but no pedals, it was bang on 11.3kg/23.9lbs as listed.

Frame with all hardware, and shock with Xloc remote line was 2463 grams.
    Aluminium lefty 2.0 with steerer was 1965 grams.

The aluminium lefty is heavy! 350grams heavier than the carbon one. Had a win on the wheels though. They're 50 grams lighter than the Czero wheels on the Carbon 2.

The stem is 180 grams! I can't seem to find any light options. It seems like I need to go to an OPI setup or an MCFK 1-1/8th steerer and 1-1/8th stem. Both options are $$$ for not much weight saving. Is there nothing else out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000VELOCE View Post
    Hello everyone, Iím a new user on the forum and tomorrow hopefully I am going to be a new scalpel 4 owner.
    I am still not convinced that size M is the right for me, Iím 180cm and my inseam mesures 83cm
    What size M or L will be better for me when climbing on long steep roads?
    The shop has only M on stock

I will very appreciate any quick advice.
    Thanks in advance

Hi, I have just seen your post, I am also 1,80 and I bought the M, I was able to try the M and L before I bought it ,I donīt know my inside leg, but itīs long lol! Delighted with the size and the bike.

mtbr member
    1,83 with 86cm inseam

M works great with 90mm Stem and 400mm Post
    For sale:

mtbr member

New bike came in but trails are muddy

Has there been a bottle cage found that works best for the seat post position ie. Low sitting? All my cages sit too high to fit a 24oz bottle...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post

Has there been a bottle cage found that works best for the seat post position ie. Low sitting? All my cages sit too high to fit a 24oz bottle...
    You could try an Arundel side load cage, good for side loading on 29ers. Not sure how low they sit though.

mtbr member
    Looks like if it did not sit low enough more holes could be drilled to make it lower

mtbr member
    When you do that, the space between the 2nd holder and the bottle wont be enough.
    I have the same problem with the Lezyne side cage.

Fits a 750 and 500ml. but they should be short!
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

New lefty is 1/2 lb heavier

Quote Originally Posted by jeddog69 View Post
    Can anyone tell if it's using a lefty 2.0?
    New Scalpel is OK. New Lefty is heavy? 3.5 Lbs. The Lefty was 3 lbs 15 years ago. What's up with that? The new Scalpel Also uses a proprietary rear shock/mount. If rear shock stops working in 3 years, you might be S.O.L. Most of the sprint mode shocks do not work out of the box. Test it well, before you pay for it. I think it is an assembly issue from Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Hi.
    Does anyone know the weight of the stans crest MK3 on the scalpel si carbon 3?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Take a look on site 9!

2017 Scalpel Count-Down
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago7 View Post
    Hi.
    Does anyone know the weight of the stans crest MK3 on the scalpel si carbon 3?

717 and 926 = 1643
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    717 and 926 = 1643
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Thats it!

And here are the actual weights of the Czero SL Wheelset:

1.547g (XD 142x12)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	czeroSL_HR.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	1120649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	czeroSL_VR.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	1120650
    What is the rear hub? By sepc. that is the same as carbon3 (CZero Straight Pull)
    The difference between front wheels - carbon 1 & carbon 3 is 717-691=26g (little heavier rim +much lighter spokes)
    Should be the same in the rear aprox. but 926-856 is 70g. there is 70-26=44 g difference in the equal rear hubs
    Last edited by dreicha; 03-09-2017 at 03:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Its only the spokes and nipples
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Ok. drive shell shimano vs sram xd is ~10g but where is another 34g ?

mtbr member
    I have a set of Enve thas was taken off a scaple si race. Gues how much it weighs!!

1527 g with a 21mm ID.
    In my opinion totally not worthed against stans crest at 1643 per set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I just got a Large Carbon 3. Straight out of the box, so with tubes but no pedals, it was bang on 11.3kg/23.9lbs as listed.

Frame with all hardware, and shock with Xloc remote line was 2463 grams.
    Aluminium lefty 2.0 with steerer was 1965 grams.

The aluminium lefty is heavy! 350grams heavier than the carbon one. Had a win on the wheels though. They're 50 grams lighter than the Czero wheels on the Carbon 2.

The stem is 180 grams! I can't seem to find any light options. It seems like I need to go to an OPI setup or an MCFK 1-1/8th steerer and 1-1/8th stem. Both options are $$$ for not much weight saving. Is there nothing else out there?
    I just weighted a medium right out of the box w/o tubes or pedals and its was 24.55 pounds.....

My Si 2 carbon lefty with eagle xx1 and stans valors, a lighter seatpost and saddle is 23 lb 11 oz.

I think your scale or my scale might be off.

mtbr member
    My Enves came in @ about 1.440g (XD Hub, 36 SL ratchet) NAKED!

So he weighted with standard rimtape and Shimano rotor?
    For sale:

mtbr member
    My Enves came in @ about 1.440g (XD Hub, 36 SL ratchet) NAKED!

So he weighted with standard rimtape and Shimano rotor?
    Hi.

Yes. There is standard rim tape and shimano free hub.
    What did you mean "naked"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    there is a lot of weight variability in crest mk3 rims

mtbr member
    I have a brand new Enve M50 set for sale. It was taken off a Scalpel Si race.
    I want to get a set of Industry 9.
    PM me if anyone is interested .

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Check I9's lefty supermax hub options. Last time I checked only the classic lefty was available for most builds. I didn't want to run an adapter. So I built my own.

Project 321 G2 rear and Supermax front hubs on Enve M50's came in at 1440g. The new P321 G2 rear hub is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    I meaned without anything. No Rimtape, Discs, Screws, Axle, Cassette, Valves
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How do you guys set the rebound on the rear shock? I have difficulties to get the best setting, not sure it should be more rebound or less rebound.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can report that rhe rear hub in the czero wheelset is 327g and front hub is 115g. And spokes (non SL wheel) was 366g

Road/XC/Freeride

New question here.

Hi guys, I recently picked up a Scalpel SI Carbon 1 ó my first Cannondale. Not many miles on it yet but I'm pleased with how playful it is.

I do have some teething troubles though, probably the main one being that I can't adjust the rebound on the RockShox MonarchÖ

The rebound dial is super stiff. I can turn the whole XLoc assembly with the dial quite freely between what sounds/feels like two indexed positions but the assembly shape and hydraulic hose only allow it to turn through ~30 degrees. Am I missing something?

While inspecting this I also noticed that the carbon bosses/supports inside the top tube that the shock mounts to have a section 'missing'. Both sides are about the same and I guess the material is where it needs to be. It just looks a little haphazard so I'd like to know it's not just my bike!

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-cannondale-scalpel-si-shock-mount.jpg

Finally it's worth mentioning that my XTR-equipped model came with an 11-46 cassette, which seems different to the other scalpels in this thread. Perhaps it's something the UK distributor has spec'd?
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    The rebound dial is super stiff. I can turn the whole XLoc assembly with the dial quite freely between what sounds/feels like two indexed positions but the assembly shape and hydraulic hose only allow it to turn through ~30 degrees. Am I missing something?

im sorry, but thats normal on the monarch xx. The dial is really stiff but should turn. try both directions and turn it several times. Sometimes its getting easier. If its not working go to your dealer.

While inspecting this I also noticed that the carbon bosses/supports inside the top tube that the shock mounts to have a section 'missing'. Both sides are about the same and I guess the material is where it needs to be. It just looks a little haphazard so I'd like to know it's not just my bike!

im sorry, but thats normal, too. I saw that on each scalpel i mounted and even my own team. dont worry!

Finally it's worth mentioning that my XTR-equipped model came with an 11-46 cassette, which seems different to the other scalpels in this thread. Perhaps it's something the UK distributor has spec'd?

Mmh, i dont know. On every Carbon 3/4 was a 11/46 cassette, too. I didnt mentioned there would be a 11/42. maybe on the pre-selling models?!
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Anyone else having issues removing the cable management thingys? I only had a brief go at it. Got as far as removing the bolt and giving it a wiggle. They look a bit fragile and I didn't want to break them. Anyone got any pro tips?
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    When you try to remove it for the 1st time it could be little notchy.
    After that use a little bit of grease on the outside surface before sticking it back in.

Important is that you dont overtighten the screw that hold the 2 pieces together!
    just until it is closed. NO torque! (<1nm) or you may damage the plastic
    When the srew stands out, it is possible you cratch the frame when sticking it back again in. So take care.
    For sale:

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006

Jeff,
    Have you tried a fabric bottle/cage combo? I have them on my habit and superx.

mtbr member
    I have not tried the fabric bottle cage combo. I will look into it I really like the fabric products.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Ill bring the second one i have for my cx bike to Short Track a5 chestnut saturday if you're going to be there.

mtbr member
    Tried all the cages i had in the spare parts pile and found an xlab cage that fits. Don't know if the bottle will stay in. Will report back after a test ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend View Post
    Ill bring the second one i have for my cx bike to Short Track a5 chestnut saturday if you're going to be there.
    Won't be racing but may be there. Have a lot going on Saturday. We will see

mtbr member
    How do you get the 2nd bottle in?

Would be to close to the 1st bottle, shock and frame.

3rd race done... awesome and fast as hell trough the downhills.

For sale:

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Tried all the cages i had in the spare parts pile and found an xlab cage that fits. Don't know if the bottle will stay in. Will report back after a test ride.

I didnt realize they were that close. The bottle I sent you is the largest Fabric makes, i know they do a smaller size, but I dont know the dimensions.
    Last edited by EskimoFriend; 03-27-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have fitted 2 x Lezyne side entry cages that take the 550ml Camelback bottles no issue

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

My 2017 Si4

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-cannondale-si4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

My Si 4 more

I changed to the Cannondale 1 x setup in front same as an Si3 as well as the seatpost and hbar changed to the FSA carbon items as on the Si1. Total weight is 12kg (26.5lb) with XT pedals and cages. Love this bike and it could weigh a lot more and still feel light.

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-si-pines-small.jpg

mtbr member
    Just finished building up Scarlett (the Scalpel).

I bought the race model, ditched, the bars, seatpost, drive chain, cranks etc.

She's currently running Sram Eagle, Enve finishing kit, and SiSl2 cranks weighing in at 22lbs. Pretty sure I can get that down too, I haven't even done the tubeless conversion yet!

Anyone else pissed off the seat post isn't carbon railed? Is it even possible to buy them in green with carbon rails? I'd happily buy another one and get it re-upholsted if it was possible.

PS: Internal cabling sux, until it's done. Then it's trick AF.

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-17457459_10158400418965335_6338892699301056680_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Why would one change from the newer 1.5inch stem to an OPI stem?? Any particular reasons?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caltrigger View Post
    Why would one change from the newer 1.5inch stem to an OPI stem?? Any particular reasons?
    Because I'm a bit of a purist and I prefer to use something unique to Cannondales. IMO it looks a lot better, and they're a lot more forgiving, should you hit your nuts on them

mtbr member
    Changed out the eagle cranks for Cannondale so a stages pm can fit. The eagle cranks have a special ai spindle and stages does not make a pm with that spindle.

Also changed out the prologo seat for Fabric.

And changed the fsa bars for a Cannondale c1 bar that has 10 degree sweep.

mtbr member
    You can match the Eagle with a Stages PM!

You have to use the RaceFace 83mm Axle and the Stages Carbon BB30 arm.
    For sale:

mtbr member

Huh, now why doesn't stages know this?

Are rf spindles compatible with sram? I thought they were compatible with cannondale but not sram...

mtbr member
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Chrizzzz, i asked stages this morning and here is what they have to say.

"Unfortunately that is not something that we have tested so I can not recommend that installation. That being said, the offset of the splines for RF and our arms are different and the arms would not line up appropriately.*"

It sounds like what they are saying is the clocking would be wrong if using the Race Face spindle the SI Drive side and the FSA stages arm

Formerly of Kent
    Huh, now why doesn't stages know this?

Are rf spindles compatible with sram? I thought they were compatible with cannondale but not sram...
    RaceFace spindles are compatible with Hollowgram cranks. That's it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2004

How? The Eagle bb30 crank has the axle attached to the drive side crank!!!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    With the 137mm cannondale axle and si cranks there is 5mm of clearance drive side and 4mm clearance non drive side. That is a little closer than i would like.

Anyone with a scalpel si and stock cannondale cranks? What is your clearance?

Formerly of Kent
    It's fine. Think about where you apply force, how, and when. And, remember that the SiSLs are one of the stiffest cranks made

Short of a crash that bends your crank arm, or blowing up your lower suspension bearings, it will never touch your frame.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast