Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Same thing happened to my carbon 2. It gained 1 pound after the tubeless convertion.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I like turtles
    So silly to provide weights without tubes and pedals. Best to me to come up with a reasonable pedal number and use tubes for a "typical weight" (for a medium frame). Sure, you will be +/- 100g for various pedals but still better than this nonsense. Tubes weight a little more than sealant and a valve stem so it will get lighter for most when you go tubeless.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    I was excited about getting a scalpel, then the new spark comes out. it's got a whole degree slacker headtube angle. Living in CO, that's huge. Plus, they're making a 120mm version. Cannondale's XXC doesn't seem so much like it deserves the extra X now. Maybe Scott should go with XXXC.

I still want a lefty though.
    Last edited by packfill; 06-24-2016 at 04:03 PM.

I like turtles
    ^^^Agreed...saw that too and looks like a nice versatile bike.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Size small 29'er too... hmmmmm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    I was excited about getting a scalpel, then the new spark comes out. it's got a whole degree slacker headtube angle. Living in CO, that's huge. Plus, they're making a 120mm version. Cannondale's XXC doesn't seem so much like it deserves the extra X now. Maybe Scott should go with XXXC. I still want a lefty though.
    I share every bit of sentiment here and agree with every word. Also still want the lefty though!!
    I'm just curious about the Scott's price. I'm pretty sure those Enve M50's make out a huge chunk of the Scalpel-Si Race/Team's price.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    So silly to provide weights without tubes and pedals. Best to me to come up with a reasonable pedal number and use tubes for a "typical weight" (for a medium frame). Sure, you will be +/- 100g for various pedals but still better than this nonsense. Tubes weight a little more than sealant and a valve stem so it will get lighter for most when you go tubeless.
    Not really, I know what my pedals weigh, I can always add that to the published weight. Bike doesn't come with pedals, so why would the include them in their numbers? As far as tubeles goes, if the bike ships tubeless compatible or pre taped and with stems in the box, then as long as they call it out, again no problem. Then again, I'm not buying one bike over another over 2 tenths of a pound.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba View Post
    Size XL.
    Here's another pic. I changed the saddle/seatpost/handlebar. Rest is stock.
    Attachment 1076363
    Is the shifter XT or XTR, I thought I saw a pic online that showed XTR, however CDale's site says XT shifter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    XTR on my HiMod1

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRidealong View Post
    XTR on my HiMod1
    Sweet! that's the answer I was hoping for I just ordered a Small Hi-Mod1 last weekend. I was surprised they are calling it an XTR drivetrain but only RD was at that level. Hopefully this isn't a mid season component change otherwise I was thinking I'll dump the XT shifter and the 601 chain for XTR.

mtbr member
    Has anyone received a Scalpel Race yet? I'm getting tired of waiting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Has anyone received a Scalpel Race yet? I'm getting tired of waiting.
    next week!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Scott's new bike Goes alright in racing too
    Can't understand why you would make the lefty wider as in the 2.0 if you weren't going to make it longer, like 120mm

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomie View Post
    Sweet! that's the answer I was hoping for I just ordered a Small Hi-Mod1 last weekend. I was surprised they are calling it an XTR drivetrain but only RD was at that level. Hopefully this isn't a mid season component change otherwise I was thinking I'll dump the XT shifter and the 601 chain for XTR.
    It's the XT cassette where the real weight (and $ savings for C-dale) is.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    next week!
    Show some pics when you get it, I'm getting soooooooooo tired of waiting, I'm thinking about cancelling and ordering a Pivot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Came right on time.

Definitely racy and feels like the FSi.

Switching to Di2 and I'll be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mine is due in Friday. Scalpel carbon 3. My first ever Cannondale anything.. Been riding big S for the past 10 years. Hoping it's the correct decision.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interested to hear your impressions sgtjim57. I am considering making the jump after riding Spesh Epics for the past ten years. The Si3 looks like it checks most of my boxes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My Local bike shop got an order of 3 Large frame Race editions in yesterday. so seems some are coming in. and they gave me an update that my small Carbon 1 is expected August 15th.

mtbr member
    I will post once I receive and get a few rides in. I have two friends that ride Scalpels, one has ridden nothing but since I have been riding with him. I went with what they said and how much they enjoy riding theirs. Few issues, good support. Never ridden an Epic, thought about the Epic vs the Scalpel. Chose the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Out mowing my lawn, took a break, found a missed call. Called the number, localish, it was the shop. Wanted to know if I wanted the bike set up tubeless when it arrives and they get it assembled, caller said it would probably arrive "today" and should be ready for pickup Friday. Sure hope so. Then I'll take my Camber apart and play search for the creak...or part it out if the Scalpel is all I expect it to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Came right on time.

Definitely racy and feels like the FSi.

Switching to Di2 and I'll be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me about it please.... Is she as amazing as I imagined?

I'm going to order one as soon as they're available in the UK. I love the Race colour-way. But I'm going to get it re-painted!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Scalpel in the house, as they said, arrived today, built, tubeless and ready to ride. Looks just like the picture on the internet.

...and it's raining today...
    Last edited by sgtjim57; 07-14-2016 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Finally got a ride in, a little wet and sanding up at Sewanee, my favorite trail locally to ride. I'll start by just saying I like this bike. I like the way it rides, handles, the way the suspension works, the overall quality of construction, components, lefty (never have ridden one before), the function of the shock(the shock on my Camber never did impress me), the climbing ability. It just rides very smooth. I was concerned that giving up 20 mm of suspension was something I was going to regret, I didn't today at least. What I do miss about my Camber, the creak. And I really don't miss that at all. I think I will be quite happy with this bike and the level of components it has.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    2 weeks on a Hi-Mod 1 size L. Moved DI2 from 2015 Black Inc Scalpel. Running 11-40 and 28-38 with new offset AI 2-ring spider. 0 mm clearing between inner ring and frame! Had to put an extra spacer on drive side. Alert! Size L requires 120mm seatpost insert. The included 400mm seatpost is not long enough. Have changed to a 420mm seatpost with 130mm inside frame. But its slipping. There is too much play in the seat tube. Inspecting inside of tube.. First 4 cm or so is 31,6 then open pass the suspension link. At about 115mm tube goes back to 31,6. This doesnt work. Is this frame rushed to market or just a bad sample? Shop is informed. The bike climbs and descents better than the old one. More stable, slightly stiffer, lower front end. Lefty 2.0 is angled differently than the hybrid and is a knee problem for me. Everyone can go fast on this bike. Maybe thats why some of the old bikes character is gone. All the premium xc bikes are so similar now that it becomes a bit boring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    2 weeks on a Hi-Mod 1 size L. Moved DI2 from 2015 Black Inc Scalpel. Running 11-40 and 28-38 with new offset AI 2-ring spider. 0 mm clearing between inner ring and frame! Had to put an extra spacer on drive side. Alert! Size L requires 120mm seatpost insert. The included 400mm seatpost is not long enough. Have changed to a 420mm seatpost with 130mm inside frame. But its slipping. There is too much play in the seat tube. Inspecting inside of tube.. First 4 cm or so is 31,6 then open pass the suspension link. At about 115mm tube goes back to 31,6. This doesnt work. Is this frame rushed to market or just a bad sample? Shop is informed. The bike climbs and descents better than the old one. More stable, slightly stiffer, lower front end. Lefty 2.0 is angled differently than the hybrid and is a knee problem for me. Everyone can go fast on this bike. Maybe thats why some of the old bikes character is gone. All the premium xc bikes are so similar now that it becomes a bit boring.
    We got our first S-Si in last week. When assembled, there was lateral play at the chainstay to swing link pivot. Pivot was torqued to spec (which frame says 5nm, 17 Scalpel service manual says 3nm.) - still play. Called tech support - was told to pull it apart and apply loctite 401 (CA superglue) to the bearing and link mating surfaces to lock the bearing into the link.

That makes no sense to me - if there was play, superglue isn't going to bear a lateral load for very long.

Shop is closed today - when I get back in there, I'm going to disassemble and check everything out - but I fear there's a tolerance issue here. Very similar discussion in the Habit thread here - which I believe uses the same swing link.

The only other thing I can maybe think of is the carbon chainstays are so rigid that my torque wrench is hitting the prescribed value before they snug up the chainstays in the pivot. Might put some compression on the stays and try retorquing the pivot assembly before I superglue anything.

Any other dealers having the same issue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Also - S-Si Carbon 3 - Sz Sm (27.5" wheels) - no pedals, tubes still installed. Reflectors & Pieplate still on the bike - 24.04lb (10.9kg)

mtbr member
    I only had a few weeks to train on my new Medium Carbon 2 (4+ years of rigid SS so I had a learning curve). I just finished the High Cascades 100. Fit and ride quality were excellent. It handled the tight twisties, of Bend, very well. No wrecks, but the close calls were due to the wider handle bars catching branches and trees. I never felt on the edge with handling problems. I also became very used to locking/un-locking the suspension for standing climbs and smooth surfaces. I like the bike a lot. Only wish I had the Race instead of the 2.

PS. I saw 4 or 5 other Carbon 2's at the race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    HI guys,
    Anyone able to tell me when these rockets will be available in australia?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Scalpel SI falling apart

After about 350km this has happened. Looks like a tolerance issue. The wedge inside axle is not large enough to hold rear end in place. Removed assembly to check, no factory grease, bearings fell out. Worried...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Scalpel Count-Down-win_20160722_21_18_01_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    After about 350km this has happened. Looks like a tolerance issue. The wedge inside axle is not large enough to hold rear end in place. Removed assembly to check, no factory grease, bearings fell out. Worried...
    The Si we just built had slack at that "lockr" joint - I disassembled and found the same - there was zero lubrication on any of the pieces, wedge or otherwise. The pieces weren't able to properly slide into/against each other. With no lube, the friction between pieces would give a false reading on the torque wrench - nothing was snugging up properly.

I applied liberal coats of of Poly-lube to all surfaces, and torqued to spec, then retorqued after riding around a little bit. I think I got the bugs worked out - assuming there isn't any slippage after the owner gets some mileage on. I do see this becoming a regular maintenance item though.

Habit owners are seeing similar issues.

mtbr member
    my 2009 scalpel's annual maintenance (as defined by me) included greasing all the bearing pivots and rear shock mounts. it also arrived from the bike shop in greased, fwiw, it has been an amazing and reliable bike the maintenance has not been a big deal. Hopefully the 2017 is similar..
    Massage Blocks :: The Ultimate Trigger Point System

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Id like one in medium, and all green, without the LEFTY. Let me know when all of the bugs are sorted out too please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anyone knows the DT C36 rear hub on the Scalpel-Si race is using DT ratchet design or lower end 3 pawls design? thanks!

mtbr member

Here ya go!

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-thumbnail_img_0702.jpg

If you have one of these bikes, I would recommend you take it apart before you ride it. All the pivots and hardware on mine were bone dry. Torque all the pivots to the correct specs as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0702.jpg 
Views:	1284 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1084307

If you have one of these bikes, I would recommend you take it apart before you ride it. All the pivots and hardware on mine were bone dry. Torque all the pivots to the correct specs as well.
    Shouldn't this be the responsibility of the selling Dealer? I would hate to dump $9k+ and still have to go through this

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23 View Post
    Shouldn't this be the responsibility of the selling Dealer? I would hate to dump $9k+ and still have to go through this
    Honestly, it should be on Cannondale to have done it right at the factory. As a dealer, all I should have to do when assembling a brand new bike out of the box for a major suspension component is verify that the bolts/assembly are torqued to manufacturers spec, aren't binding, and have no play.

I shouldn't have to be blowing a suspension assembly completely apart to make sure the factory put it all together correctly. That would be like removing a bottom bracket, or disassembling a hub on a brand new bike to check for lube. It should already be done.

The problem here is that more and more, bikes come to the shops that aren't properly assembled, wheels aren't properly trued, and the shop is having to devote more man hours just to get a bike ready to roll off the showroom than I've ever seen before. Not just cannondale - other brands as well.

Will I check this on every S-Si I sell, yes, cause the first one I assembled showed me this problem, so I can't not check it going forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    honestly, it should be on cannondale to have done it right at the factory. As a dealer, all i should have to do when assembling a brand new bike out of the box for a major suspension component is verify that the bolts/assembly are torqued to manufacturers spec, aren't binding, and have no play.

I shouldn't have to be blowing a suspension assembly completely apart to make sure the factory put it all together correctly. That would be like removing a bottom bracket, or disassembling a hub on a brand new bike to check for lube. It should already be done.

The problem here is that more and more, bikes come to the shops that aren't properly assembled, wheels aren't properly trued, and the shop is having to devote more man hours just to get a bike ready to roll off the showroom than i've ever seen before. Not just cannondale - other brands as well.

Will i check this on every s-si i sell, yes, cause the first one i assembled showed me this problem, so i can't not check it going forward.

this^^^^^

mtbr member
    I have the same problem with a slipping seatpost. Seatpost measures precisely 31,6 mm but about 1 mm fore/aft play when in the frame. Put some tape on the bottom of the seatpost and lots of anti-slipping compound and seems to hold now. So much play is unacceptable though for such an expensive bike.

There's also play in the connection between shock and link. One of the bushings shows a 1 mm gap and can slide from left to right. The bolt is fully tightened but the gap remains. Also unacceptable! Quality control from Cannondale is not what it should be!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba View Post
    Size XL.
    Here's another pic. I changed the saddle/seatpost/handlebar. Rest is stock.
    How tall are you? What is the factory seatpost lenght from rails to the limit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Can someone please measure their stem for me? Cannondale.com lists it as a 1.5" stem and I don't trust that figure for some reason.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMuscles View Post
    Can someone please measure their stem for me? Cannondale.com lists it as a 1.5" stem and I don't trust that figure for some reason.
    The diameter of steerer tube is 1.5"...

Thus the stem must be 1.5" in order to fit it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The diameter of steerer tube is 1.5"...

Thus the stem must be 1.5" in order to fit it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Le Duke. To clarify, I'm specifically looking for the stem length, any help here would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is there anyone with a black inc version? i would love to know the exact weight

mtbr member
    What is the offset of the front chainring?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dreicha View Post
    What is the offset of the front chainring?
    5mm chainring spider offset according to the supplemental paperwork for the F-Si - which should be the same for the Scalpel-Si.

mtbr member
    Looking for aftermarket 36T chainring. What is the best option?

And what manufacturer is rear hub (carbon 3) . Looking for upgrade shimano driveshell to xx1

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

And what manufacturer is rear hub (carbon 3) . Looking for upgrade shimano driveshell to xx1
    Looks like a "normal" 36T ring is going to be unavailable at the moment - I'm seeing only 34T in a Cannondale Spiderring, WolfTooth says their rings aren't Ai-compatible, Absolute black only goes up to a 34 - but they do offer their oval direct mount ring in a 34T that they say will work with Ai - if you move a spacer somewhere in the spindle.

As far as the XD driver goes - I called my rep, he says they do have the XD driver for that particular hub and they do swap out. Pretty sure that hub is made by Formula. cannondale part number your dealer needs to ask for is KP420. Some googling says that is formula freehub FH-538 - but good luck finding one anywhere. Formula is kinda hard to find repair parts for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I've purchased from this company several times. Awesome customer service and quick shipping to US. As the note says, make sure you email them to confirm you need the Ai/FSi version. I have the direct mount oval on my Scalpel. Works perfectly. Non oval version also available. Cool colors and many different gear options.

Cannondale Hollowgram Melon - Direct Mount - Oval Chainrings

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Got my Carbon2 a week or so back....its awesome!

Went from a Spec SJ hardtail, mid-school geo circa 2013, steep angles, shortish stem, wide bars w/dropper.

I've ridden a handful of 5" travel slackish bikes, like the Yeti sb5c, new Specialized camber and FSR's. Didn't care for them, lost too much trail feedback I generally like in a XC bike...maybe I am just used to a hardtail.

I think the Scalpel blends the best of both, playful, fast but still has a sharp edge and suspension is stiff but predictable.

I don't particular care for the lockout thumb lever, it's hard to push and lockout doesn't engage solidly.

I adjusted to it quickly. It's definitely not as precise as the SJ, but relaxed, jumps well and can cruise with minimal mental input.

I have a size XL, it came with a 95'ish mm stem, maybe 100. Planning on going a touch shorter @ 75mm due to long TT and reach. If a XC bike is a 1 and Enduro bike is a 10, I am aiming for something on the XC side of halfway, say a 3.

Fit and finish look great, paint job is awesome. Comes with nice 760mm bars. Planning a 9.8 dropper and will call it good.

mtbr member
    ArizRider, agree. I have a Stumpjumper HT and a Camber Carbon Pro'ish both in 29 size. The Scalpel Carbon 3 is a totally different ride. I was hesitant to make the move from Specialized to Cannondale because I had been riding Specs for 10 years. However, now that i have become accustomed to the handling characteristics, the new wheel size (27.5) and the Lefty it just feels right. I have an issue with the Camber (creak in bottom bracket) that even a new BB (wheels) didn't fix, but I have attempted to ride it around the house in an attempt to fix it and it just feels weird. Not really sure what it is, but not as smooth as the Scalpel. Happy with the new bike, just wish I had more time, other than weekends, to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What are you all running for psi in the rear shock. Im down at 100 psi to get 20% sag and i weigh 170lbs and that just doesnt sound right? Seams really low.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just checked, 110. I weight 170ish (175 with camelback loaded up) and that's where it's been since I purchased it. The shop where I bought it set it up and I've been good with the way it rides but I better check the sag again just in case. Really love the bike, rides like a dream (corny, I know), but certainly better than my previous bikes. Still not will to ride the way I rode the camber, I have a Pike on it set to 120mm and I looked to things to ride over but with the Lefty I am more careful to select a better line that avoids the bigger hazards. I am also a little less wide open on the downhills, I am having an issue with "floating", the rear not staying down when downhilling and hitting bumps. Feels like the "ass" is going over the head sometimes, so I am adjusting my style to not go over. I should just practice that part of the ride to see what is the best way to attach it, and get it right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you sgtjim57, i feel better about it now. I was thinking that maybe the lockout was stuck since the psi was so low.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    Just checked, 110. I weight 170ish (175 with camelback loaded up) and that's where it's been since I purchased it. The shop where I bought it set it up and I've been good with the way it rides but I better check the sag again just in case. Really love the bike, rides like a dream (corny, I know), but certainly better than my previous bikes. Still not will to ride the way I rode the camber, I have a Pike on it set to 120mm and I looked to things to ride over but with the Lefty I am more careful to select a better line that avoids the bigger hazards. I am also a little less wide open on the downhills, I am having an issue with "floating", the rear not staying down when downhilling and hitting bumps. Feels like the "ass" is going over the head sometimes, so I am adjusting my style to not go over. I should just practice that part of the ride to see what is the best way to attach it, and get it right.
    Have you tried slowing the rebound down a little on the rear shock to try and avoid the "bucking"? That's what I had to do on my Salsa Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowder Head View Post
    What are you all running for psi in the rear shock. Im down at 100 psi to get 20% sag and i weigh 170lbs and that just doesnt sound right? Seams really low.

I'm at 190 psi and I weigh 180 lbs. This is about 15% of sag for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Do you all get full travel at the recommended 25% sag? I only get around half of it at 25% sag ( as measured by the red o-ring on the shaft at the end of the ride) and it feels pretty stiff.
    I went down to 40% sag and around 70psi (if I recall correctly) to achieve full travel, which does not seem right to me. What am I missing?

My weight is around 175lbs and bike is a scalpel 3.

mtbr member
    Nope..but I will. Thanks junky

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I rode today at 100 psi/20% sag on some rough terrain, drops, jumps, g outs, and rock gardens and only got about 75% travel. It felt really solid.

mtbr member
    RockShox's web site has a video that says to pump the shock to the weight of the rider, and then check sag to 20-25 % and adjust air accordingly...not that I am doing that. The mechanic had me sit on bike and added air as needed to get proper sag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Paul Proteus View Post
    No idea how well that bike fits either of them, however my guess is the photographer that setup the shot is a lousy bike fitter but also wasn't all that concerned about fit. I do believe one of the two riders is Chloe Wodruff... who happened to clean up the Womens STXC and XC classes at Women's Nat's last year. On a 29'er.

Her choice of bike probably didn't slow her down there. But, absolutely, at the extreme ends of the spectrum there's going to be limitations & tradeoffs. To get the cockpit that you want, do you run a bar + stem setup that the internet will say is ugly, or do you go with smaller wheels? To each their own.
    What would be the disadvantage in a fit like that ? Seems like she's been succesfull with that and for sure not the only one with bars higher then saddle. I¨'ve got the bars slightler higher (while my road bike is complete opposite), at 5'7, and I've yet to see a disadvantage...although I'm not an experienced MTB rider. Thanks !

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Same concern here, I weigh 185 lbs and found 75psi in shock gives me the ride I like. Sag is about 30-35%, using most of the travel but havent yet bottomed out. Impressed that even with this much sag no pedal bob, very efficient climber. On a side note the rear lockout is pretty much useless, (thankfully it's not needed) fork locks out solid.

mtbr member
    Looks like something wrong with rear lockout. 75 psi at that weight is extremely less. Theoretically. Will check mine after 2 weeks.

p.s.In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. Yogi Berra

mtbr member
    Lockout for mine is solid front and rear however why do I need it? OK for blacktop, not so much for the trails. No pedal bob and on climbs the lefty seems to perform well without lockout. New trails this weekend so I shall adjust rebound on shock and see how it "flows".

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowder Head View Post

Try slowing down the rebound to your liking, made a world of difference for me

mtbr member
    Deleted (Actually moved with link to original post)
    Last edited by sgtjim57; 09-05-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Moved

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    Got my Carbon2 a week or so back....its awesome!

--8<--

I have a size XL,

--8<--
    could you please provide a pic, where the seattube - toptube - shock link area could be seen?

TIA
    happy trails
    @realredbyte
    www.mtb-siegerland.de

mtbr member
    So what was the outcome? Did you take it to the shop? If so, what did they identify as the root cause? What did they do to remedy the situation? I may have the same issue starting with my Scalpel Carbon 3 so before I take it to the shop in the morning I'd like some ammo to use while there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone running a lefty hybrid on a new Scalpel frame? I have a 2014 frame that has some apparent cracks in the bottom bracket area. I'm being told the offset of the older fork won't work properly with the 2017 frame...if that's what Cannon-dale sends me as a warranty replacement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by biffhamilton View Post
    Anyone running a lefty hybrid on a new Scalpel frame? I have a 2014 frame that has some apparent cracks in the bottom bracket area. I'm being told the offset of the older fork won't work properly with the 2017 frame...if that's what Cannon-dale sends me as a warranty replacement.
    I can't attest to your specific question, but I will state that I did a warranty frame replacement for a customer last week, and they shipped me 2016 frame, so they do have the older model still available for Warranty work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks adrenalnjunk.......

2016 frame is the most likely route. I really don't feel like purchasing a new fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just put my scalpel carbon 3 together. Very nice. Size large tubeless with xtr pedals weighs 11.5kg. Got the flu so no ride report yet. Bars are huge. Im used to 690 these are 770. Not really suitable for our tracks. As is the 11-46 cassette. 11-40 or 42 would be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by NiCk ThEo View Post
    Do you all get full travel at the recommended 25% sag? I only get around half of it at 25% sag ( as measured by the red o-ring on the shaft at the end of the ride) and it feels pretty stiff.
    I went down to 40% sag and around 70psi (if I recall correctly) to achieve full travel, which does not seem right to me. What am I missing?

My weight is around 175lbs and bike is a scalpel 3.
    You're missing the rocks.

mtbr member
    How are the leftys on the xxc holding up? I heard reports at shenandoah that they have been blowing out but did not hear what the specific problem was. I really want to add this bike to my stable because i love the fs-i but maybe should wait until the bugs are worked out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thank you for posting this! Dealer is assembling my Carbon 3 as we speak, just shot this over to them. Perfect timing.

mtbr member
    I was at the shop today getting bearings replaced on the seat stay (same issue posted earlier) and asked about the upgrade and was informed the shop will be contacting those of us who qualify for the upgrade once parts and funding is available. I think I'll but the crap out of them to get on the list first...I also have the Carbon 3 and absolutely love the bike...

mtbr member
    What is "Grand Forza Double Butted" spokes manufacturer?

mtbr member
    Strange, got a call from the shop telling me Cannondale was going to warranty my repair on the Shock link that was repaired Saturday. I took pics and emailed them. Known issue with shock mounting bolts on page 9: (file:///Users/jamesloveland/Downloads/016_Scalpel%20Si_OMS_133422_EN.pdf)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Strange, got a call from the shop telling me Cannondale was going to warranty my repair on the Shock link that was repaired Saturday. I took pics and emailed them. Known issue with shock mounting bolts on page 9: (file:///Users/jamesloveland/Downloads/016_Scalpel%20Si_OMS_133422_EN.pdf)
    Can't get to that file.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was at the shop today getting bearings replaced on the seat stay (same issue posted earlier) and asked about the upgrade and was informed the shop will be contacting those of us who qualify for the upgrade once parts and funding is available. I think I'll but the crap out of them to get on the list first...I also have the Carbon 3 and absolutely love the bike...
    got my first box of 2spring upgrades yesterday afternoon - but they are all for the 1.0/Hybrid forks. None of my 2.0 upgrades I have on order have shipped yet.

Funding - cannondale has committed to reimburse the dealer a preset amount per fork, but honestly, my shop owner didn't agree with the amount just based on what I think it is going to take me to do the remediation. Maybe when I get into a fork or 2 I'll find it is a 20 minute job, which will make it a little better, but I'm currently thinking it will take 30-45 minutes to do all the steps properly. Regardless, I have 4 hybrids in the shop to get started on tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I see why, I'll have to relocate it to post again. It's a owners manual supplement.

On this page, owners manual supplement 2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI:
    http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Sup...nuals/Mountain

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I see why, I'll have to relocate it to post again. It's a owners manual supplement.

On this page, owners manual supplement 2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI:
    http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Sup...nuals/Mountain
    Ah yeah, the Habit uses the same setup and there have been issues with the Lok'r linkages there too. Namely - I'm not seeing the ones coming out of the factory being assembled to the way the manual says it should be. Not appropriately lubed, torqued, the bearings not glued into the link, and poor-quality bearings to begin with. I'm ordering Enduro bearings for my new bike.

mtbr member
    Enduro bearings were installed however no locktite was used since this was the first of these repairs the shop had ever seen. Hope it's not an issue if I ride it since they said go ahead and ride.

bike rider
    I'm losing interest in the new Scalpel and looking at the new Scott Spark. Slacker head angle, option of more travel, lighter frame, no reports of bearing or linkage problems, a normal fork that is known to not have problems and I can easily rebuild.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Received my carbon 3 yesterday. Added OPI stem with the Leonardi steerer, ESI Racers Edge grips, XTR pedals and converted tubeless. Sure enough the linkages were lacking grease, so be sure to check them!

Does anyone have any suggestions for water bottles that fit on the seat tube? I've tried several to no avail.

First ride today, this thing rips!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I currently ride Pivot Mach 429 SL but I'm tempted to make get Scalpel-SI.
    Does anybody have experience with both, how would they compare?
    I have had previously Scalpel with good memories.

mtbr member
    Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Bottle Cages - Carbon Cage SL

or

https://www.specialized.com/de/de/ac...i-right/116704

Working really good..
    or you take the Cdale GT40:
    Cannondale 2014 GT-40/S Side-Load Water Bottle Cage Black Right-load

I just sold my '15 F-Si and cant wait to have my new Scalpel-Si Team
    hopefully in November(?!)
    Rode a new Scalpel several Time and i am really happy about the performance and geometry. It`s like sitting on my FSi w. lockout.

Some Customers are riding it +2000k without any creak or problem.
    It does his job properly.
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80

mtbr member
    Finally got mine. At 80kg (t15C)i tried 180 PSI in the rear shock~ 20% sag, 150PSI~30%sag

mtbr member
    Getting the "2" spring service performed on Monday, along with something else, just not sure what is being done (had an issue with seat stay pivot that a "warranty" is going to cover) even though it seems to be fine to me, but I certainly won't complain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMuscles View Post
    Received my carbon 3 yesterday. Added OPI stem with the Leonardi steerer, ESI Racers Edge grips, XTR pedals and converted tubeless. Sure enough the linkages were lacking grease, so be sure to check them!

Does anyone have any suggestions for water bottles that fit on the seat tube? I've tried several to no avail.

First ride today, this thing rips!

Camelback 21oz fits with no clearance issue

mtbr member
    Do you feel any difference in performance after "2" spring upgrade?

mtbr member
    I do "feel" a difference. One ride yesterday and going into a rock garden I almost felt like the fork was lacking air, but checked the sag and pressure all was as it should be and no I was not bottoming out. Took a few mile to get used to the "new" ride. Riding again today, fall breaks are great when the weather is great.

mtbr member
    Did the delivery dates for the Si also changed in the US?

+ 2 months on several models. I lost the interest
    No bike for the upcoming season until february is ****.

But another question...
    which crank-version does the team with eagle has?!

Some say boost crank with 6mm offset gxp chainring.
    maybe a special bb30 with longer axle? Needs to fit in the 83mm bottombracket :/

Last edited by Chrizzzz; 10-06-2016 at 01:58 AM.
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzzz View Post
    Did the delivery dates for the Si also changed in the US?

+ 2 months on several models. I lost the interest
    No bike for the upcoming season until february is ****.
    I'm hearing that there's a lot of turmoil in the container shipping industry due to one shipping line (Hanjin) going belly up and the effects are being felt globally. Wonder if that is part of the change in availability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone with the Scalpel-Si Al 5? By the pitcures that I saw, there is no option to cage mount in the seattube. This no make any sense! Can anyone confim that?
    http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb13432998/p4pb13432998.jpg
    http://twentynineinches-de.com/wp-co...16/05/Si-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Seems like that.
    Every official picture shows no 2nd cage mount.
    For sale:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzzz View Post
    Seems like that.
    Every official picture shows no 2nd cage mount.
    Have a look at the pictures of the Scalpel-SI at this year's Cape Epic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I do "feel" a difference. One ride yesterday and going into a rock garden I almost felt like the fork was lacking air, but checked the sag and pressure all was as it should be and no I was not bottoming out. Took a few mile to get used to the "new" ride. Riding again today, fall breaks are great when the weather is great.
    How tall are you to ride the small (27.5)?? Whats the weight of the bike tubeless with the pedals? Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Moved
    Last edited by sgtjim57; 10-17-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast