Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Road Bike Review Member
    Yup, I put mine on the bottom too.
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

Formerly of Kent
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Pinkbike did a little write up on this bike from the World Cup last weekend.

Henrique Avancini's New Cannondale - Cairns XC World Cup 2016 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

LA CHÈVRE
    Presentation was today...
    Embargo is until friday...
    But...

https://eliflap.it/2016/04/27/scalpel-2017-4/

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    No SRAM Eagle???

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    No SRAM Eagle???
    Nope. Specs are out but haven't seen geometry yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg

mtbr member
    ****, I need to go home and change my pants!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

LA CHÈVRE
    Here's the whole range in pictures. It is called Scalpel-Si (more or less confirms the F-Si like asymetric rear) and there is an alloy version of the frame. So the reports that it would not be compatible with a mechanical front derailleur were not true.

Cannondale Scalpel 2017 - Pro Bike S.r.L.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Cheers Dan
    Looks like the 50cog xx1 on the green "team"bike
    And good to see the new crests on the black with xtr
    This looks the same xtr/ crest build but in green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laekon View Post
    Nope. Specs are out but haven't seen geometry yet.
    This one seems to have Eagle XX1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Scalpel Count-Down-scalpel-i.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Here's a little more info.

http://ambmag.com.au/cannondale-scalpel-si/

Time is an invention...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I should have my Scalpel Si Carbon 3 in Medium as soon as UPS gets to work.

mtbr member
    Oh Cannondale...Rad bike. But why couldn't you keep the solid colors of the prototypes to leave the beautiful shape of this frame more visible!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Oh Cannondale...Rad bike. But why couldn't you keep the solid colors of the prototypes to leave the beautiful shape of this frame more visible!
    I was just thinking the same thing. The prototypes were beautiful. The production models are good looking, but not quite the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    A agree actually, the one Fontana etc have been riding looked amazing but the production ones still look pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Different model line up if you go to US site. No Eagle equiped Team version in US.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The prices are slightly better than I had expected too. The Carbon 3 is basically the same MSRP of my 2014 F29 Carbon 2 and spec'd better. It will be mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba View Post
    This one seems to have Eagle XX1
    The info I saw was for the US. I didn't know they were doing a few different models in Europe. I've seen the Race and 3 in person and really like the look. The large 3 with cheap plastic pedals and tubes was 25 lbs even.

This bike is making me think about not getting a trail bike as most of the trails around me are pretty smooth and open. The main reason for looking at trail bikes was the geometry feeling more confident on descents. If this does the same thing without the extra travel and weight then its great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Man - I like the package on the Carbon 2, although I wish it were shimano instead of sram. But that yellow on black trim just isn't talking to me.

mtbr member
    Hmm.. Why no eagle build? Can't see myself buying a new 1X bike that'll be obsolete in a few months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Am I the only one who's a little bit underwhelmed? Definitely a nice ride, but overall it's a change in the geo, two (500ml) water bottles, and a dual lockout.

I'm not entirely sure what I was hoping for.. perhaps some style of flip chip to change its personality? slightly more trail/travel characteristics that could be pared back with the double lock out? (does anyone really need a double lock out on a 100mm bike these days?)

Maybe I bought into the hype too much!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Pacfil
    The team has 50 cog eagle xx1
    http://www.cannondale.com/en/Interna...5-7b435d0db871

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay1 View Post
    Pacfil
    The team has 50 cog eagle xx1
    http://www.cannondale.com/en/Interna...5-7b435d0db871
    it's not on the US site...

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...a-76d4d2ca2ec4

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Shame
    Be an expensive bike tho that Team bike!
    I'm a big fan of buying lower spec bikes and doing a custom upgrade on the specs as required

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

weights

any approximate weight difference between

1. Lefty 2.0 Carbon vs Non Carbon
    2. Hi Mod Frame vs Regular?

Lot's of options. Carbon 2 has a carbon lefty but its not High Mod. The Carbon3 has nice specs but it's not High Mod or Carbon Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    lost me at 27.5 wheels on the small. thanks cdale.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Not real happy with the trend towards 27.5 on the small either. I'm usually a smedium when it comes to frame size, so can usually go to the med frame & shorten up the stem a touch, but not looking very likely with the longer front end on these.

27.5 on a long travel bike? Absolutely.
    27.5 on an XC race bike? Nope.

Formerly of Kent
    Looks like the highest-end model has the new ENVE carbon MTB hubs. So that helps explain the staggering cost.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Trying to decide between the Carbon Si 4 or the 3.

Can't seem to figure where the price jump comes from. $1000 for a carbon seat post, bars, different lockout, and better spokes? The 3 has one less shifter, front chainring, which should be subtracted from the increase. They have to cost something?

Maybe it comes down to decision :do I want to go 1x or stick with 2x that I have been running on my Flash. Ride in New England so there are some short but steeps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Looks like the highest-end model has the new ENVE carbon MTB hubs. So that helps explain the staggering cost.
    The US Cannondale website certainly doesn't state that: "Lefty 60 front, Chris King ISO rear".

While Enve's carbon road hub is an actual product, do you have any
    references to them announcing an upcoming mtb hub?

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Have a pic/link to these hubs? I recall seeing a comment about them somewhere, but can't find it anymore.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaskitrail View Post
    Trying to decide between the Carbon Si 4 or the 3.

Can't seem to figure where the price jump comes from. $1000 for a carbon seat post, bars, different lockout, and better spokes? The 3 has one less shifter, front chainring, which should be subtracted from the increase. They have to cost something?

Maybe it comes down to decision :do I want to go 1x or stick with 2x that I have been running on my Flash. Ride in New England so there are some short but steeps.
    Been thinking the same thing but there are other differences. The big ones are the shock, crank, lock out system, and rear hub. Plus the 3 has an XTR rear derailleur. Not really sure if any of those parts are worth the added cost.

I might just be out of shape but I like being able to just dump or jump a bunch of gears by shifting up front when in rolling terrain. The shifting up front became so good with the SRAM 2x10 groups that, besides weight, I don't see the down side.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Paul Proteus View Post
    Not real happy with the trend towards 27.5 on the small either. I'm usually a smedium when it comes to frame size, so can usually go to the med frame & shorten up the stem a touch, but not looking very likely with the longer front end on these.

27.5 on a long travel bike? Absolutely.
    27.5 on an XC race bike? Nope.
    Why do you say that? Nino wins world cups on 27.5" wheels and he's taller than you. Why would you want wheels that are disproportionate to your frame size and result in a tall head tube (reduced standover and the need for a negative stem)?

I'm 6'2" and race pro XC on 27.5" wheels cuz I like the handling better.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Another classic 1x vs 2x debate mixed in with 27.5 vs 29
    Just buy what a like ah. Or modify what ya buy
    Nice of Cannondale to offer so many options...

Personally I was hoping for a SE with a 120 travel lefty and a rear shock canister up the top tube
    Be a cool trail bike
    Hopefully next year Cannondale will see the light and realise people want 29 trail bikes, making the Habbit 29 SE

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Carbon3 with enve/xtrdi2

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Carbon 3 with up spec

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg2017 Scalpel Count-Down-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    For the riding I do over here, 29'ers seem to be a smidge faster along the inevitable gravel road slogs & the bigger wheels are definitely more forgiving to bad line selection - I'm definitely no Nino. Most of my "racing" is Marathons & a stage race or two (racing = midpack... Transalp, Trans Schwarzwald, etc), so basically loooong days in the saddle. For that, I also find myself less fatigued/beat up when riding big wheels. Not a lot of truly tight singletrack either, so the big advantages of smaller wheels never comes into play.

Besides that, the size small 27.5" always seems like an afterthought. The design process seems to be to develop the 29'er, then shrink it a little to get to the 27.5". Things like the HTA & BB Height should vary between the sizes if they were designing specifically for the wheelsize, yet they never do. At least here they changed the rake between the two wheel sizes, so I guess that's a small improvement.

I'm not exactly tall, but I've never once in my life been bothered by standover... if my feet can touch the ground, I'm good. I've never understood the fixation on that. (2 bottles inside a small frame FS 29'er is likely impossible though).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Why do you say that? Nino wins world cups on 27.5" wheels and he's taller than you. Why would you want wheels that are disproportionate to your frame size and result in a tall head tube (reduced standover and the need for a negative stem)?

I'm 6'2" and race pro XC on 27.5" wheels cuz I like the handling better.
    I'm the same height as you, and have only been riding and racing mtbs for several years now, but assumed my height warranted the larger wheels. Am I missing out on something? If so, is that something a little or a lot? FWIW, my USAC license says I'm an Expert racer.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    I'm the same height as you, and have only been riding and racing mtbs for several years now, but assumed my height warranted the larger wheels. Am I missing out on something? If so, is that something a little or a lot? FWIW, my USAC license says I'm an Expert racer.
    In a purely racing context you're not missing out on anything (or much). Most XC racers choose 29" wheels because they are slightly faster on some surfaces. Like the poster above said, the handling benefits of 27.5 wheels won't be noticed on more open and smoother courses. The benefits of 27.5 wheels are quicker handling in tighter and more technical trails and lighter weight. Coupled with slightly more travel and slacker headtube than the average XC bike (and dropper post) this results in a bike that I find more fun to ride both in races and general trail riding without feeling like I'm giving up speed or efficiency averaged over the whole course. The Cannondale equivalent to my bike would be a trigger with really light build but it's interesting to see Cannondale going a little in this direction with the new Scalpel.

While I wouldn't flatly recommend that someone over 6ft who's main priority is XC racing choose 27.5" wheels I think they're viable and for someone who fits a small frame I'd think they'd be preferable (unless the majority of your racing is the kind of terrain the poster above references).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Pretty disappointed too about not 29ER wheels for small frame..what's the reason behind that?
    I understand geometry and handling. ..but it seems a lot of companies offer small 29ER size without any frame problems. I personally prefer 29ER. ...just, trying to understand Cannondale marketing and point of view.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Cannondales world champion under 23 rider has stated he loves his small size FSI 27.5
    I realise it's his job to say good things about their products. But I'm sure Cannondale would not put him on an inferior product, as I'm sure they want him to win the u23 world champ race again.
    With time and age he has the potential to become a real threat to Nino(who also rides 27.5)
    The great thing about Cannondale geometry is the 29ers almost handle like smaller wheeled bikes. I'm 6.2 and have a 29 scalpel and just sold my f29 and there handling has been far superior to the other three 29ers I have owned.
    For me I like 29er for xc and trail and 27.5 for my enduro bike. On the 27.5 you feel the small bumps a lot. Going to upgrade the Yara fork to a Lyric, hoping that will help with small bump compliance
    Last edited by Bay1; 05-05-2016 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a 2017 Scalpel-FSI Team ETA was June 19. Has anyone ordered a new Scalpel yet? If so, what was your ETA?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    I just ordered a 2017 Scalpel-FSI Team ETA was June 19. Has anyone ordered a new Scalpel yet? If so, what was your ETA?
    Looks like that's the ship date in Cannondale's Inventory system + 2 days shipping to your shop.

When you say "Team" I'm thinking you mean the "Race" model?

I believe shops had an opportunity to get some limited early orders in on some early production bikes, but it sounded like there weren't going to be many in circulation intil Mid-June.

Looks like most models have 1st production batch ship dates ranging from mid June thru early July, varying by model and size.

One exception appears to be the Carbon 1 - none show available until September.

A couple of Carbon 2's are available 5/18, the rest in June.

If you want a large Carbon 3, have your shop order it now - there's a few available for June (< 5), and the remainder won't be in til September.

Alloy 5's won't be in stock til mid July.

mtbr member
    You are correct, my current bike is the team, that's why I misspoke, and yes I ordered the race model. Sounds like June will be a good month for me then. Now I have just have to sit and wait and be impatient because I am a man-child.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Looks like that's the ship date in Cannondale's Inventory system + 2 days shipping to your shop.

I believe shops had an opportunity to get some limited early orders in on some early production bikes, but it sounded like there weren't going to be many in circulation intil Mid-June.

Looks like most models have 1st production batch ship dates ranging from mid June thru early July, varying by model and size.

If you want a large Carbon 3, have your shop order it now - there's a few available for June (< 5), and the remainder won't be in til September.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    You are correct, my current bike is the team, that's why I misspoke, and yes I ordered the race model. Sounds like June will be a good month for me then. Now I have just have to sit and wait and be impatient because I am a man-child.
    Me too - I have never really been a fan of the Scalpel's handling - primarily the steering response - always too twitchy for my liking. I spent years on a turner Flux with a 69deg HA, and I think it has spoiled me. To that effect I was looking at trying a Habit in '17 and trying to knock it down in weight to make me happy, but I am/was unsure about stepping down to 27.5" wheel platform.

now with the Scalpel getting slacked out and a stretched front end - it might be more along the lines of what I would like. Unfortunately my shop won't be getting any this year unless they're special ordered. Carbon 3 is the trim I'd like, but would prefer the carbon lefty that the 2 gets.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by italianbike74 View Post
    Pretty disappointed too about not 29ER wheels for small frame..what's the reason behind that?
    I understand geometry and handling. ..but it seems a lot of companies offer small 29ER size without any frame problems. I personally prefer 29ER. ...just, trying to understand Cannondale marketing and point of view.
    Thanks
    The reasoning is simple. Cannondale's market feedback is that riders of XS to Medium size frames tend to prefer a lower front end to the bike. Using a negative rise stem doesn't offset the high front end and high stand over. These riders also find it harder to manipulate the bigger wheels over very technical terrain.

The response is to offer the XS, S and M frames in 650B.
    M is also available in 29er but with longer rear end at 17.2inches. The 650B Medium frame has 16.8inch chain stays. The front centre on the M650b is 2mm longer.
    Also note the BB height is no different.

If anyone thinks a 29er is faster anywhere then you're sadly mistaken. I've trialed several 29ers and tried a few 27.5 wheeled bikes. There is nothing to be found for speed between the wheel sizes. I find myself faster on technical climbs and descents on the 650B and about the same as the 29er on long straight descents. The 29ers hat are faster are all heavier. Heavier bikes will always roll faster downhill.
    the 29er does feel more comfortable.

For all my riding, XC, Marathon and trail I choose 650B. I'm glad Cannondale have decided to build the fastest possible bikes for people of different heights an not peg everyone as needing a 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    If anyone thinks a 29er is faster anywhere then you're sadly mistaken. I've trialed several 29ers and tried a few 27.5 wheeled bikes. There is nothing to be found for speed between the wheel sizes. I find myself faster on technical climbs and descents on the 650B and about the same as the 29er on long straight descents. The 29ers hat are faster are all heavier. Heavier bikes will always roll faster downhill.

For all my riding, XC, Marathon and trail I choose 650B. I'm glad Cannondale have decided to build the fastest possible bikes for people of different heights an not peg everyone as needing a 29er.
    ...and I'm dissapointed that Cannondale's marketing research led them to decide that smaller frames will sell better with 650b wheels & thus should be the only option. I'm sure the smaller wheel Scalpel is a nice bike, but I'm real happy that I picked up my F-Si before the marketing team took over the product mix.

I don't dislike 650b's, one of the three MTB's I ride the most is a 650b (oddly, one is a 26", one 27.5", & one a 29"... but they are all very different bikes). When it's go-fast day though, the 29'er is the one I hop on. NOBODY has been able to show with any certainty that 650b's are flat out faster than a 29'er. If anything, the data points the other direction (but I also would never say that 29'ers are flat out faster either... horses for courses & all. For my preferred courses, the 29" horse is usually faster with this jockey).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I guess after years of having "29ers are faster" forced down our throats by the bike industry, 650b being just as fast as a 29 and better for smaller riders is a bitter pill to swallow.
    Well its clear that industry is now doing an about turn on 29ers. Cannondale's only 29er bikes are the M,L, XL Scalpel, and the F-Si. Both Xc race bikes. And there's a strong indication that the revised F-Si is also going to follow the wheel size format of the Scalpel

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was really happy to see the 29'er fanboyism finally dying down. Shame we gotta go through it all over again, just in a different flavor.

mtbr member
    ...and I'm dissapointed that Cannondale's marketing research led them to decide that smaller frames will sell better with 650b wheels & thus should be the only option. I'm sure the smaller wheel Scalpel is a nice bike, but I'm real happy that I picked up my F-Si before the marketing team took over the product mix.

I don't dislike 650b's, one of the three MTB's I ride the most is a 650b (oddly, one is a 26", one 27.5", & one a 29"... but they are all very different bikes). When it's go-fast day though, the 29'er is the one I hop on. NOBODY has been able to show with any certainty that 650b's are flat out faster than a 29'er. If anything, the data points the other direction (but I also would never say that 29'ers are flat out faster either... horses for courses & all. For my preferred courses, the 29" horse is usually faster with this jockey).
    Ever seen a 5' 2" woman try to race on a small 29r with a riserbar flipped upside down and a headset with the dustcap removed, all in the name of getting the front end low enough? It's not a matter of trying to cram a wheel size down peoples throats. The bike isn't faster if it doesn't fit.

Do you actually think this bike fits either one of these two?

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-judy-chloe1.jpg
    Last edited by packfill; 05-10-2016 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    there's a strong indication that the revised F-Si is also going to follow the wheel size format of the Scalpel
    The small FSi is already 27.5

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I tried to order an SI Hi-Mod 1 yesterday and was told September for that particular bike. Not sure if shops that pre-ordered will get them. Does anyone know if there will be any Hi-Mod 1's shipped prior to September ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    LFJ, September is the date showing on the dealer site for that model, the Hi-Mod 1. With most of the other carbon ones coming in June-July, depending on size. Not sure if it's a paint thing or maybe the wheels?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Anything in medium showing as available in early June? I got a July date for a Carbon 1, which misses a critical date for me (vacation)... maybe tempted to go for something else if its available in time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    Ever seen a 5' 2" woman try to race on a small 29r with a riserbar flipped upside down and a headset with the dustcap removed, all in the name of getting the front end low enough? It's not a matter of trying to cram a wheel size down peoples throats. The bike isn't faster if it doesn't fit.

Do you actually think this bike fits either one of these two?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judy-chloe1.jpg 
Views:	9912 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	1069390
    No idea how well that bike fits either of them, however my guess is the photographer that setup the shot is a lousy bike fitter but also wasn't all that concerned about fit. I do believe one of the two riders is Chloe Wodruff... who happened to clean up the Womens STXC and XC classes at Women's Nat's last year. On a 29'er.

Her choice of bike probably didn't slow her down there. But, absolutely, at the extreme ends of the spectrum there's going to be limitations & tradeoffs. To get the cockpit that you want, do you run a bar + stem setup that the internet will say is ugly, or do you go with smaller wheels? To each their own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anything in medium showing as available in early June? I got a July date for a Carbon 1, which misses a critical date for me (vacation)... maybe tempted to go for something else if its available in time.
    Just checked - In Medium:
    Black INC - 4 avail July 8th
    Si Race (himod) - 24 avail June 17
    Carbon 1 (himod) - 14 avail Sept 9
    Carbon 2 - 25+ avail Jun 21
    Carbon 3 - 6 avail Aug 12, 13 avail Sept 2
    Carbon 4 - 1 avail Aug 5, 25+ avail Aug 12
    Alloy 5 - 10 avail July 15, 25+ Aug 5

Looks like you could bump up to a race, or down to a 2 before July.

*edit* - just want to point out that this is a real time stock system. If a dealer has already booked bikes with earlier ship dates than what I posted, then yes, some dealers may be able to get you one of these earlier than some of these dates. All I can report is what Cannondale says I can go and order right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree with Dr. Paul , 29 is my choice , and I am 5'4". Like the roll over and the traction. Where I am , 27.5 has not caught on. xc bikes are 29 , trail bikes 29 , but more plus. both 29+ and 27.5+.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ok. appreciate that. that confirms what the local shop says. september isn't that far off just thought maybe some shops were able to get this particular model earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    LFJ, September is the date showing on the dealer site for that model, the Hi-Mod 1. With most of the other carbon ones coming in June-July, depending on size. Not sure if it's a paint thing or maybe the wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a Carbon 3 in Medium it's a sick bike. I ordered it for myself to race and use as a demo at the shop. Since it's not really a bike we can keep in stock. Everything is always for sale though. Would need to come to Massachusetts for it, if anyone has to have one now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Have medium also in Pitttsburgh.....

mtbr member
    Just got a Scalpel SI carbon 3.
    I was replacing the stock xt brakes for xtr and that plastic thing that holds the cables on the head tube felt inside of the frame. I can see it but I can't get it out through the same hole.
    I guess if I can remove the fork and steering tube I will be able to get it.
    How do I remove the fork and steering tube? I have loosened up the bolts but nothing comes apart.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago7 View Post
    Just got a Scalpel SI carbon 3.
    I was replacing the stock xt brakes for xtr and that plastic thing that holds the cables on the head tube felt inside of the frame. I can see it but I can't get it out through the same hole.
    I guess if I can remove the fork and steering tube I will be able to get it.
    How do I remove the fork and steering tube? I have loosened up the bolts but nothing comes apart.
    Thanks in advance.

Gators25
    Sep 2009
    Here's a video of the process.

https://youtu.be/LbHSSCktuc8

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wrong video, that is for the removal of an opi stem.
    just hit the top of the steerer gently with a rubber hammer and the steerer will come out on the bottom side, at that time you can pull the lefty fork away from the frame.

for mounting the steerer again, hit the steerer from the bottom side upwards

Ron

mtbr member
    Today I just took the bike to the shop and fixed it for me.
    Thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am really, really, really curious how you like this bike!? The bike is so new, there are hardly any reports out except for the journalist promo ride in Italy. I am looking at the Race and debating between that and an SW Epic. Would love to get any feedback you have and also, if you do reply to this, what bike were you on previously to give some context to your review. THANKS!

mtbr member
    What is the biggest front chainring that can be mounted?

I like turtles
    Think this may be the bike that gets me off of Specy and onto Cdale. Not sure on the small with the 27.5 wheels - I am 5'6" and do like my 29er HT but I suppose it can't be all the much of a difference. I think a medium may work..will need to ride them. Just think that the slightly sacker XC bike is the way to go for most people on most trails (at least here) and it might be a fun option to add a dropper.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The reasoning is simple. Cannondale's market feedback is that riders of XS to Medium size frames tend to prefer a lower front end to the bike. Using a negative rise stem doesn't offset the high front end and high stand over. These riders also find it harder to manipulate the bigger wheels over very technical terrain.

The response is to offer the XS, S and M frames in 650B.
    M is also available in 29er but with longer rear end at 17.2inches. The 650B Medium frame has 16.8inch chain stays. The front centre on the M650b is 2mm longer.
    Also note the BB height is no different.

Agreed.
    This is the same approach Trek has adopted, small frame with 27.5".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnBArZ_2OgE
    Scott is the only major player that offers all XC models in both 29 and 27.5 across all frame sizes.
    Specialized is all in 29ers and has shorter travel forks for the small framed XC bikes as a solution for the higher front end.
    Giant, on the other hand, is almost all in 27.5, even for XC bikes.
    Nino Scuhrter's recent switch to 29" has really revived this debate...

At the same time some guys complain that Cannondale is not offering the Scalpel in the 29er format for the small frame, there is no 27.5 option for any other size as well.

As a short rider myself, I am pleased that they offer the small frame in the 27.5 format.

mtbr member

New toy

My new toy has arrived

2017 Scalpel Count-Down-img_3269.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My new toy has arrived
    Cute! What frame size? Could you provide a picture with a complete side view?
    happy trails
    @realredbyte
    www.mtb-siegerland.de

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    VERY nice!!!!!
    My new toy has arrived

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3269.jpg 
Views:	2322 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	1075116
    Adrenaline junkie.
    2x "big c" and enjoying life.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by redbyte View Post
    I just bumped into this picture, which I think is the first one I've seen showing different sizes of the new bikes. I'll guess, left to right: Medium, X Large, Large.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Perfect, thanks!

XL would be for me, but the 'space' between upper rocker mount and seattube/toptube conjuction looks ugly, IMHO
    happy trails
    @realredbyte
    www.mtb-siegerland.de

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbyte View Post
    Size XL.
    Here's another pic. I changed the saddle/seatpost/handlebar. Rest is stock.
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-img_3288.jpg

I like turtles
    Any photos of the small 650b?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I may be ordering a small tomorrow...either the carbon 2 or the carbon 3. Depends on what is available when and justification for the carbon wheels and carbon lefty...anyone care to comment/
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

I like turtles
    Carbon 3 is what I have my eyes on.

Edit: Carbon 4 is what I mean...$4K is pushing it and I like that it has 2x.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TiGeo; 06-15-2016 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    curious how much clearance there is on the back tire. would a 2.35 fit? 2.5??
    Massage Blocks :: The Ultimate Trigger Point System

bike rider
    This is the first Scalpel I've wanted. I'm trying to get my shop to get a few 3 or 4s for the rental fleet so I can try one out. Too bad they don't offer a XT or X1 1-by build. That's what all our other rental bikes are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    I may be ordering a small tomorrow...either the carbon 2 or the carbon 3. Depends on what is available when and justification for the carbon wheels and carbon lefty...anyone care to comment/
    Small Carbon 2's show 13 avail on July 21, SM Carbon 3's show 4 avail on July 13.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Carbon 3 is pretty close - full XT 1X11 kit, just with an XTR rear derailleur.

bike rider
    Carbon 3 is pretty close - full XT 1X11 kit, just with an XTR rear derailleur.
    Oh yeah. Funny cuz they call it a XTR drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oh yeah. Funny cuz they call it a XTR drivetrain.
    Yeah - I don't like that little section on the online catalog either.

Even the HM carbon 1 shows "Drivetrain: XTR" - but it is only XTR rear, XTR brakes/levers. XT shifters, cassette. And all of them seem to get the older HG-601 chains, which is a 105-level 11speed chain, not the new HG-X11 chain series. It's a very good chain, but again, not "XTR Drivetrain" spec.

mtbr member
    Carbon 3 ordered, size small, delivery should be 15 July 16...going to be a long month
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member

Order Received ... 2017 Scalpel Si Carbon 2

This is gonna take some getting used to ... been riding rigid SS for 6 years.
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-newbike.jpg

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    If any of you who have test-ridden or have gotten your new Scalpel could compare the ride to a Felt Edict, would love to hear riding impressions. I'd be going from 29 to 27.5" wheel for fit on the Scalpel.
    Thanks.

bike rider
    Is there internal routing for a stealth dropper post? I'm close to pulling the trigger on my first XC specific bike since 1994 and first 29er ever but that's an important detail for me. My current XC bike is a 23.5lb Santa Cruz 5010 with 6" dropper and 150/120mm fork. If the Scalpel Si can weigh a couple pounds less and roll a little faster without giving up too much "fun" and handling on descents I'd give it a shot.

bike rider
    What's the weight difference between the Hi-mod and cheaper carbon frames?

mtbr member
    Is there internal routing for a stealth dropper post? I'm close to pulling the trigger on my first XC specific bike since 1994 and first 29er ever but that's an important detail for me. My current XC bike is a 23.5lb Santa Cruz 5010 with 6" dropper and 150/120mm fork. If the Scalpel Si can weigh a couple pounds less and roll a little faster without giving up too much "fun" and handling on descents I'd give it a shot.
    Yes, there is internal routing for a stealth dropper post.

mtbr member
    What's the weight difference between the Hi-mod and cheaper carbon frames?
    From Here: Singletrack Magazine | Cannondale Launch 2017 Scalpel

Note: The numbers suggest to me that the Hi-mod frame is about 1/2 lb lighter.

My 2017 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 came in at 24.7 pounds ... no pedals. That is a pound and a half heavier! The only modification ... I swapped the Racing Ralphs with Icon 2.2 EXOs.
    2017 Scalpel Count-Down-previewscreensnapz006.jpg
    UPDATE: I confirmed the above published expected weight (23.3# for a medium) with Cannondale, and that is taken without pedals and without tubes or goop.

I reweighed this evening and the bike without pedals is 24.2 pounds

4 scoops stans = 1/2#
    Icon 2.2 EXO = (645-560)*2 = .4 #

SO wheels are about 1# heavier than shipped. And that is the difference.
    Last edited by gjenkins@; 06-22-2016 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for posting the weight info link. The HM-1 comes in about equal to my 2015 Team-with pedals.

I have heard that FSA might be making their house branded wheels. Anybody able to confirm that?

Great forum

bike rider
    So much for getting a rental fleet of 3s. Various sizes aren't available till late July or August cuz all you fakas have queued up. Oh well, next year we'll get'em so if you wanna come race 2017 Breck Epic without having to fly your bike out make a reservation in the spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TransBR View Post
    Thanks for posting the weight info link. The HM-1 comes in about equal to my 2015 Team-with pedals.

I have heard that FSA might be making their house branded wheels. Anybody able to confirm that?

Great forum
    I want to reiterate ... My Carbon 2 came in over a pound heavier than this chart.

UPDATE: I confirmed the above published expected weight (23.3# for a medium) with Cannondale, and that is taken without pedals and without tubes or goop.

I reweighed this evening and the bike without pedals is 24.2 pounds

4 scoops stans = 1/2#
    Icon 2.2 EXO = (645-560)*2 = .4 #

SO wheels are about 1# heavier than shipped. And that is the difference.
    Last edited by gjenkins@; 06-22-2016 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Shocks and gears, they are all like new to me. I guess 5th ride is a charm ... this morning's 5th ride on the Scalpel was the first where I started feeling comfortable with the handling and with managing effort levels.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast