Thread: 2017 Fat CAAD 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

2017 Fat CAAD 2

Hi everyone, Iím new here and this is my first post! I wasnít sure whether to post this in the fat bikes section or here.

I originally ordered a Felt DD70 fat bike but have had to return it as the rear axle threads had been stripped, probably at the factory, as the axle had been over-torqued. I rejected the bike and Black Friday happened so found a cracking deal on the Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 Fat bike. I should have it by next weekend and Iím hoping it doesnít have any problems!

I was wondering whether anyone has a Fat CAAD 2? Thereís very little info about it on the Internet in terms of forum discussions. Most people compare it to a Specialized Fatboy or Farley 7, but no real info from owners.

I Love my Rize
    Great bike.. fast as hell make sure you tape over the dropper post internal access routing hole on the back of the seat tube or the tire spray will be shot directly into the bb and ruin your exposed spindle and bearings. I used gorrilla tape. tubeless ready right from the factory, just crack one bead and remove tube install tubeless valve add sealant and air up and away you go 👍👍👍👍👍👍
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Interesting, so it has an option to add a dropper post?

I Love my Rize
    Quote Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
    Interesting, so it has an option to add a dropper post?
    Yes, but I would not use it. I would go external instead.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb View Post
    Great bike.. fast as hell make sure you tape over the dropper post internal access routing hole on the back of the seat tube or the tire spray will be shot directly into the bb and ruin your exposed spindle and bearings. I used gorrilla tape. tubeless ready right from the factory, just crack one bead and remove tube install tubeless valve add sealant and air up and away you go 
    Iíll second those comments. I bought my Fat CAAD 2 back in January 2016. Since then, I put 3,300+ miles on it. The bike is comfortable, agile, and fairly easy to ride. I raced it a few times in winter and summer, and always did well. The bike really is fast and fun to ride.

I too experienced mud in the BB area that came through the dropper port. Gorilla tape was my solution too.

I rode the bike 70 miles over two days last weekend, and will probably do the same again this weekend.
    Last edited by GChuckyB; 12-01-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Clarity of thought
    2017 Scalpel-Si
    2016 F-Si
    2016 Fat CAAD 2
    1996 Trek 9800

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Atop Case Mountain - Manchester, CT

This image is from a couple weeks ago. To say I enjoy this bike would be understating how I really feel. This bike is one of my favorite bikes. I like to ride the bike hard and fast. I also use it for gravel rides.

2017 Fat CAAD 2-0fc0deb4-9010-41d4-ba3d-0e3a6fcc3968.jpg
    Last edited by GChuckyB; 12-01-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    2017 Scalpel-Si
    2016 F-Si
    2016 Fat CAAD 2
    1996 Trek 9800

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thank you guys, for your input. I received the bike this afternoon and have only had a chance to unbox it and turn the handlebars as it was delivered in a very large box, pretty much fully assembled.

Tomorrow I'll take a closer look at it, attach the pedals and take her out for my first ride.

Something that caught my eye was an important addendum from Cannondale in the documentation pack.

It said that the maximum tyre pressure is 15PSI irrespective of the markings on the Jumbo Jim tyre wall itself. Now that's fine for me but something I could easily have overlooked as I don't often pay attention to documentation. It appears to be related to the tyres not clearing the frame if they are pumped to more than 15PSI.

Has anyone else been aware of this tyre pressure limitation on the Fat CAAD 2?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    No, but you would need to pump for a long time to reach 15 PSI in those tires. I only pumped my tires to 15-20 when I replaced the tires and I wanted the sealant to set. I deflated before I rode the bike. For normal riding, I run 5 in the front and 6 in the rear. I weigh 180. There is a sweat spot with the fat tires. It took a while for me to find mine.
    2017 Scalpel-Si
    2016 F-Si
    2016 Fat CAAD 2
    1996 Trek 9800

I Love my Rize
    Most 4.6 tires and above 20 lbs max when you seat the bead. I run 10 r and 9 frt in summer hardpack and 8 r..7 frt in winter but if it's deep snow. 4 r and 3 frt. I weigh 220.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I got the bike!

All good but one concern. The markings on the tyres state 26" x 4.4. That doesn't sound right as the specs on the retailer's site and Cannondale's seem to indicate Jumbo Jim 26" x 4.8 Snakeskin, tubeless. Am I missing 0.4 inches of width?

I Love my Rize
    I got the bike!

All good but one concern. The markings on the tyres state 26" x 4.4. That doesn't sound right as the specs on the retailer's site and Cannondale's seem to indicate Jumbo Jim 26" x 4.8 Snakeskin, tubeless. Am I missing 0.4 inches of width?
    They must have given you the new size, I would call them asap and tell them you want the specified 4.8 SS. Tell them you bought the bike specifically for the specific 4.8 SS that's what it was supposed to have.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Are the 4.4s a new size? Iíll call them in the morning to see what they have to say. Other than that I really like the bike, Iíve spent the whole weekend adjusting things and Iíve replaced the saddle, pedals and grips.

I Love my Rize
    yes they are. I would keep the saddle as the silverado is killer.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have some important news for anyone with a 2017 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2.

I queried the 4.4" Jumbo Jims on my bike with the retailer this week. They checked with their UK distributor who informed them that Cannondale changed the specs mid-season on the 2017 CAAD 2 due to clearance issues between the tyre and the rear stays.

That's why my bike has 4.4" Jumbo Jims, and this may also explain why I had an addendum in the documentation set warning buyers not to inflate 4.8" tyres to more than 15PSI.

I guess they erred on the side of safety. I'm still very happy with the bike, but it is in a bike workshop now, being fully checked over and tuned because I bought it online and wanted it thoroughly checked over.

I Love my Rize
    I have tons of room for my 4.8 jj at any pressure.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I did get the retailer to check their remaining stock of Fat CAAD 2s and they all had 4.4s. Anyway, I'm happy with the bike and looking forward to getting it back from its healthcheck service by the end of the week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    make sure you tape over the dropper post internal access routing hole on the back of the seat tube or the tire spray will be shot directly into the bb and ruin your exposed spindle and bearings. I used gorrilla tape
    I'm trying to find this hole that you refer to! I took a picture of the bottom of the frame (i.e. looking up from under the bottom bracket area).

Here is the photo:

Is this the hole that needs blocking?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Oh dear, for some reason I cannot post pictures.

[EDIT]: seems to be okay now. I think I needed 10 posts.

I Love my Rize
    It would be nice if they redesigned the frame in 2017. The hole I am talking about is on the back side of the seat tube just above the bb by the front derailleur.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It would be nice if they redesigned the frame in 2017. The hole I am talking about is on the back side of the seat tube just above the bb by the front derailleur.
    Thanks, found it!

I guess the picture I posted is a drain hole on the bottom of the frame. I'm going to have to buy some Gorilla Tape but I have another idea to seal the hole. Along with one of my bikes there was a couple of clear frame protector oval strips. I'm going to clean the area around the hole with IPA and apply one of those frame protector strips to see if that does the job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've got another question for fellow Fat CAAD 2 owners about the front and rear thru axles. I've just removed both and greased the threads to avoid them seizing in the future. I've noticed that they are very simple Formula thru axles. Just wind them in lightly and use the QR lever to apply the retaining force.

I was expecting to find a way to alter the QR cam tension as there appears to be a hex head on the QR but none of my hex keys fit this.

The only way that I can secure the QR with 'normal' palm pressure is not to tighten the axle much - to the point that it can be unwound with very little force. I can then secure the QR with an effort level that seems right (very similar to regular skewer QRs).

If I wind the axle until it's fairly right then there's no way that I can close the QR.

So, in summary, I'm having to very lightly wind the axle into the wheel/fork in order to find the right resistance for the QR lever when pushing it down.

Is this what you guys are experiencing?

I Love my Rize
    I've got another question for fellow Fat CAAD 2 owners about the front and rear thru axles. I've just removed both and greased the threads to avoid them seizing in the future. I've noticed that they are very simple Formula thru axles. Just wind them in lightly and use the QR lever to apply the retaining force.

I was expecting to find a way to alter the QR cam tension as there appears to be a hex head on the QR but none of my hex keys fit this.

The only way that I can secure the QR with 'normal' palm pressure is not to tighten the axle much - to the point that it can be unwound with very little force. I can then secure the QR with an effort level that seems right (very similar to regular skewer QRs).

If I wind the axle until it's fairly right then there's no way that I can close the QR.

So, in summary, I'm having to very lightly wind the axle into the wheel/fork in order to find the right resistance for the QR lever when pushing it down.

Is this what you guys are experiencing?

You have kinda treat it like a older quick release and line it up to get the proper tension by using the notch for getting the handle in the right position then close, yes it does take a little bit of fiddling.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Okay, so the thru axles on the bike are fairly simple ones.

By the way, here's the frame protector strip that I used to cover up that hole on the back of the seat tube:

I Love my Rize
    Good job 👌👌👍

RIGHTY on a LEFTY