Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2014 Trigger 29 Carbon 1 - it's here!

Just picked up my new Trigger 29 Carbon 1.
    Beautiful looking bike - too bad there's a foot of snow on the trails.

Stock with tubes (no pedals) weighed in at 26 lbs. 15 oz.
    Not bad for an XL 29er with 130 front and rear.
    Should be closer to 26 even when set up tubeless.

Nice component spec - can't wait to ride it!
    It's replacing a 2013 Trigger 29 Alloy 2 with a KS LEV post and Arch wheels. Time to sell the alloy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Congrats.
    Pictures please...
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Dangit , still waiting on my Scalpel.

Yes...that's light for that caliber of bike Just keep looking at it til the weather breaks

Trail Ninja
    I would love to demo one of these. Pinkbike has a review coming up on it sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't have the heart to ride it until it's a little nicer out. Will post some pics when I get a chance - will be interesting to see Pinkbike review. My experience on the alloy trigger has been very positive - biggest difference will be the Lefty Supermax - looking forward to putting it through the paces.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The big question is....does it have internal cable routing or not. Cannondale hyped up that all the cables would be internally routed (the first photos showed full internal routing), but recent photos look like just the dropper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The rear shock remote cable is internally routed.
    The dropper post is only internal once it hits the seat tube, it follows the underside of the down tube externally the rest of the way.

Can't say I'm disappointed - had a bad experience with internally routed cables on a FS bike.

mtbr member
    Is it Supermax carbon or not?
    According to Cannondale.com, Trigger 1 has Supermax carbon, but 2 just says Supermax (alloy not mentioned though).

I have this year's Trigger 1 - absolutely awesome bike.

I'm even glad it wasn't carbon since I had 2 pretty big rocks hitting the frame on two spots and scratching the metal on two places (seatstays and downtube), so I'm not too confident carbon would've handled it as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yup - it's the Supermax Carbon PBR fork. Mixed feelings on alloy vs carbon - definitely worry less with alloy, but the stock Trigger 29er alloy 2 (2013) -was about 6 lbs heavier than the stock Trigger 29er Carbon 1. Pretty significant difference in weight. So far, my experience with carbon bikes is that most of the damage to carbon is cosmetic. The bikes are pretty tough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Took it out for a 3 hour ride on Sunday. Overall very impressed with the bike. The Lefty was great on big hits, but didn't seem as responsive on smaller bumps. I'm wondering if it will break in a little with some more time on it. I may also play with pressure / rebound and see if I can tweak it in a little better.

The Crossmax ST wheels are crazy stiff. They make Arch wheels feel flexy in comparison.

I'm new to 1x11 - very sloppy day and no shift issues. It will take a little adjustment getting used to gear ratios, but at the end of the day I think it will be perfect for a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Enjoy the ride... 6 lbs difference between alloy and Carbon wow...
    Any comparison between the 26er and 29er Trigger 1 Carbon ?
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I suspect the frame weight is only a pound to a pound and a half different, but everything is lighter going from 2013 Alloy 2 to 2014 Carbon 1 ... lighter wheels, carbon bars, Lefty fork, XX1 group significantly lighter than X7/X9 2x10 group, etc.

Can't compare to the 26er - never ridden it. I'm 6'5" - the 29er is the right platform for me.

mtbr member
    Yes, difference in frames is about 0.5kg/bit over 1lbs.

Drivetrain alone saves about 1kg compared to Trigger 2 2013, fork, wheels, carbon bars, brakes, etc it adds up to about 2kg difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You know the rules... photos or it didn't happen

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Fair enough - no pictures, it didn't happen
    Here's a few pictures of the new rig - completely stock with exception of pedals - set up tubeless.

Before anyone notices .... yes -that is the plastic spoke protector. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to remove X01 cassette yet. Doesn't use standard cassette removal tool.2014 Trigger 29 Carbon 1 - it's here!-img_0575.jpg2014 Trigger 29 Carbon 1 - it's here!-img_0574.jpg2014 Trigger 29 Carbon 1 - it's here!-img_0573.jpg2014 Trigger 29 Carbon 1 - it's here!-img_0572.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sethdem View Post
    Fair enough - no pictures, it didn't happen
    I haven't taken the time to figure out how to remove X01 cassette yet. Doesn't use standard cassette removal tool.
    Just cut the dork cog with a pair of scissors...No need to remove the wheel or the cassette.
    Love the team colors.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sethdem View Post
    Before anyone notices .... yes -that is the plastic spoke protector. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to remove X01 cassette yet. Doesn't use standard cassette removal tool.
    It should use a standard tool since my SRAM cogset on my Flash 29r is the same tool I used to remove my Shimano cogs on my Synapse road bike. Granted my stuff is a little older, but it should be the same standard tool to remove the lock ring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you remove all the spokes you can access the spoke protector without removing the cassette....JUST KIDDING

Surprised to hear the locking ring is not universal. hmmm

Oh...and really nice bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah - I've removed the protectors before without removing cassette. This one looked a little more formidable. I'm sure it can be taken off with some scissors and a little effort. I was just in a hurry to ride it. Next time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Very nice!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Merry Christmas to you!

I am wondering how effective the 80mm setting is when hammering out of the saddle. Is there much movement in the rear shock?

Sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There is, but then it's not a lockout like on the Monarch RT3 on my Scalpel.

On the brief test ride I did on the alloy version, the bike still pedalled up hills quite well, just not like the 11kg Scalpel (as you'd expect). You just need to be smooth with your pedal stroke and stay seated and you'll get up those hills sooner than you expect.

While I'm really enjoying my Scalpel Carbon 2, when I see the Trigger Carbon I notice I am choosing my trails to suit the bike more than I would normally and wonder (momentarily) whether I perhaps should have waited a little for the carbon Trigger as a do-it-all bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I agree - the rear shock does move during out of the saddle efforts, even in 80 mm mode. Like any full suspension bike, you can minimize the amount of movement by trying to ride smoother. Despite the movement, I don't feel like the bike feels particularly inefficient.

Scalpel is a whole different animal. It's definitely first and foremost a race bike. I had the Scalpel with the XX remote lockout and it immediately felt like a hard tail.

For XC racing, the Scalpel is just plain better - lighter, less suspension, etc.

Ask me which bike I take when I want to have fun, and it's the Trigger. Even before the carbon Trigger, I routinely picked the alloy Trigger over the carbon Scalpel for everything outside of racing.

Personal preference is big - depends a lot on what you like to ride. The Trigger is wasted if you're going to ride smooth single track!

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Marin (CRO) View Post
    Yes, difference in frames is about 0.5kg/bit over 1lbs.

Drivetrain alone saves about 1kg compared to Trigger 2 2013, fork, wheels, carbon bars, brakes, etc it adds up to about 2kg difference.
    Sounds about right. My Large 2013 Trigger 1 (alloy), after I swapped drivetrain to XX1, brakes to X0 trail, wheels to Enve AM, seat post to Reverb -- came to 28.0 lbs with XTR pedals and the beefy Hans Dampf tires.

Now I wouldn't say no to a carbon frame, but pound-for-pound, my money is on carbon rims any day.

Funny thing is, after I sold off the XT components, etc I took off the OEM build to do the above, the final bill way way less than the current Trigger 1 carbon retail price. It's a big premium for that new frame.

RBR

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lovely bike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast