mtbr member

2014 Trail 5 29er

Hi all, I'm fairly to the form. I was going to buy online, until a a few members suggested I contact a local bike shop, which I did.. I have a budget of 800, and was originally looking for a FS bike. It's however apparent that 800 will get me nothing but crap So, hardtail it is. I found a trail 5 29er for around 700 at a local bike shop. What's your thoughts on this bike for the price? I plan on riding easy to medium type trails, nothing super technical. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Cannondale Rush 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It all depends on your riding environment and your skill level.
    At the end it will boil down to the components. Do some research on the bundled components, mainly the fork and wheels and see what other people say about it.
    I would get the 4 in white black and green... The Team colors are awesome...
    Better off, can you get a new 2013 bike ? You may be able to get it at a large discount with a bit better components and then jump 1 or 2 models upward .
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member

2014 Trail 5 29er

Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    It all depends on your riding environment and your skill level.
    At the end it will boil down to the components. Do some research on the bundled components, mainly the fork and wheels and see what other people say about it.
    I would get the 4 in white black and green... The Team colors are awesome...
    Better off, can you get a new 2013 bike ? You may be able to get it at a large discount with a bit better components and then jump 1 or 2 models upward .

Thanks stumpy.

2014 Cannondale Rush 2

mtbr member
    Go to your local dealer and ask them to look and see if any 2013 are available and what they are. I have found that there are some there at cannondale warehouse. I am currently thinking abou a 2013 f29 1 lefty because it is about $1000 off at $1699 from $2700. also found a lot of other bikes like a superfly about $650 off. Ask your dealers to check it out. I found that I really liked the trail SL3 and 2. There isn't any sl's left per my guys at the bike shop. It does make it so I can get a much nicer bike by adding a few bucks more and going 2013!
    Bill

mtbr member
    Thanks Bill,

The SL3 is a nice bike. Just a bit over my budget. A 2013 may be close to what I would be willing to spend, if any are still in stock. I went to a local Cannondale shop today. No 2013's believe it or not. I did see a nice Trail 5 in blue for about 700. If I purchase from them I get one (1) year of free service and 20 % off my fiances bike. The salesman was very knowledgeable about the bikes as well. He didn't push or pressure me into making a decision. Heck, I think we spent about 30 mins just talking about local trails etc... I'm keeping my options open and still surfing around etc...

Below is the bike I'm interested in:

2014 Cannondale Trail 5 29er Blue

Off topic, I bought a Huskey rail system from Home Dept for the garage... Got the kids bikes up so far

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The wheels on that bike are not known to be the greatest. But I definitely loved my sl4 trail 29 while I had it. I have upgraded to a scalpel alloy 3 now.

mtbr member

2014 Trail 5 29er

Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    The wheels on that bike are not known to be the greatest. But I definitely loved my sl4 trail 29 while I had it. I have upgraded to a scalpel alloy 3 now.
    Got a bigger tax return then I originally thought. I have a cannondale rush 2 on layaway at a local bike shop. How do u like the scalpel?

2014 Cannondale Rush 2

mtbr member
    Wow nice return!
    Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I like it a lot, I've always wanted a scalpel since I was smaller, just can't wait for some warmer weather!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Wow nice return!
    Bill
    Yeah... It just nice not to owe uncle sam! Tired of paying for dead beats in California. Love the state, but we promote welfare and laziness .

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyNside View Post
    Hi all, I'm fairly to the form. I was going to buy online, until a a few members suggested I contact a local bike shop, which I did.. I have a budget of 800, and was originally looking for a FS bike. It's however apparent that 800 will get me nothing but crap So, hardtail it is. I found a trail 5 29er for around 700 at a local bike shop. What's your thoughts on this bike for the price? I plan on riding easy to medium type trails, nothing super technical. Thanks in advance.

I bought an SL3 from REI online for $649 a year ago. There are deals out there, usually in the Fall. The only problem with an online purchase IMO is sizing. If you know your size then go for it if the price is right. Also, make sure the store you buy from is an authorized cannondale dealer or you won't get a warranty. I think cannondale also wants the dealer to assemble it to honor the warranty FYI.

You will not get a good wheelset or fork or components on a bike unless you are spending a lot of money so don't worry about that. You can upgrade later if you feel the need. It wont take you long to know which components you can't live with. I love my SL3 and I imagine the 5 will serve you well.

I just upgraded to a Scalpel 1. My two cents is no one should get a FS bike unless they are pushing a hard tail to it's limits. I think a FS would be a waste of money over a Trail Hard Tail if you are not pushing the limits of the bike. Just my opinion. I see no performance benefits on my Scalpel over my Trail unless I am pushing hard. Although there is the cool factor I guess.

Yes I push it hard and yes I love my Scalpel and yes it has made a big difference in the riding I do on the trails I ride on. Yes I still have my trail and think its a great bike.

Good Luck and be mindful of tire pressure....it make a big difference in performance and ride quality.

mtbr member

2014 Trail 5 29er

Quote Originally Posted by ironsinker View Post
    I bought an SL3 from REI online for $649 a year ago. There are deals out there, usually in the Fall. The only problem with an online purchase IMO is sizing. If you know your size then go for it if the price is right. Also, make sure the store you buy from is an authorized cannondale dealer or you won't get a warranty. I think cannondale also wants the dealer to assemble it to honor the warranty FYI.

You will not get a good wheelset or fork or components on a bike unless you are spending a lot of money so don't worry about that. You can upgrade later if you feel the need. It wont take you long to know which components you can't live with. I love my SL3 and I imagine the 5 will serve you well.

I just upgraded to a Scalpel 1. My two cents is no one should get a FS bike unless they are pushing a hard tail to it's limits. I think a FS would be a waste of money over a Trail Hard Tail if you are not pushing the limits of the bike. Just my opinion. I see no performance benefits on my Scalpel over my Trail unless I am pushing hard. Although there is the cool factor I guess.

Yes I push it hard and yes I love my Scalpel and yes it has made a big difference in the riding I do on the trails I ride on. Yes I still have my trail and think its a great bike.

Good Luck and be mindful of tire pressure....it make a big difference in performance and ride quality.
    Thank you for your feedback. A major reason why I would like a FS, now that I have the money, is for my back. Long story short I have 18 screws and two rods in my back. Childhood disease. I'm able to lift weights/run etc... But I'm just always cautious about bumps/jarring my back. I figured a FS will take about of the shock/vibration out of the mix. How much of a difference is the ride comfort for light to medium trails, hardtail vs FS?

2014 Cannondale Rush 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe I misspoke in my earlier post. I'm an XC racer at heart. I'm not a pro, but I ride at the peak of my endurance level the whole ride. As a matter of fact, I watch videos all the time of people doing cool things and wonder why I don't do the same. I learned its because I'm always riding so hard the only thing I can do is pedal and focus on breathing. So my comment above was really for those pushing the performance of their bikes.

How much of a difference it will make for comfort depends on how you ride and the trails you ride on. Keep in mind suspension is meant to keep your wheels on the ground, not for your back. If you aren't riding hard enough to make your wheels bounce off the ground, I doubt it will do that much for you....and that's just my opinion. That's what I think after riding my trail for a year and switching to the scalpel anyway. That being said, I don't have medical problems like you.

My local bike shop has demo bikes they will loan out for free. Maybe you can try one out and see what you think if your LBS has a program like that.

What I like about my scalpel is I have three bikes in one. I have remote lockouts for both the lefty and the rear shock. So I can have a ridged, hard tail, or FS depending on what I want. But I paid $4K to get it so that's something you'll have to think about. Are you that kind of rider? Your photo showing your kids have bikes and you don't leads me to believe you are a good father putting them first. I'm glad you are taking steps to do something for your self....coming from another father of two. Maybe you deserve the bike you want so just go get it. I know I do!!

You can't put a price tag on your health and memories with your family!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsinker View Post
    Maybe I misspoke in my earlier post. I'm an XC racer at heart. I'm not a pro, but I ride at the peak of my endurance level the whole ride. As a matter of fact, I watch videos all the time of people doing cool things and wonder why I don't do the same. I learned its because I'm always riding so hard the only thing I can do is pedal and focus on breathing. So my comment above was really for those pushing the performance of their bikes.

How much of a difference it will make for comfort depends on how you ride and the trails you ride on. Keep in mind suspension is meant to keep your wheels on the ground, not for your back. If you aren't riding hard enough to make your wheels bounce off the ground, I doubt it will do that much for you....and that's just my opinion. That's what I think after riding my trail for a year and switching to the scalpel anyway. That being said, I don't have medical problems like you.

My local bike shop has demo bikes they will loan out for free. Maybe you can try one out and see what you think if your LBS has a program like that.

What I like about my scalpel is I have three bikes in one. I have remote lockouts for both the lefty and the rear shock. So I can have a ridged, hard tail, or FS depending on what I want. But I paid $4K to get it so that's something you'll have to think about. Are you that kind of rider? Your photo showing your kids have bikes and you don't leads me to believe you are a good father putting them first. I'm glad you are taking steps to do something for your self....coming from another father of two. Maybe you deserve the bike you want so just go get it. I know I do!!

You can't put a price tag on your health and memories with your family!
    Blasting down a hill and hitting some good terrain is what I'm looking for. Nothing to insane. Although with that being said, I certainly won't say no to a good challenge. I figure a FS will provide a more comfortable ride than a hardtail. My back and body can handle rides, I'm just kinda looking into the future and my thinking is anything less "jarring" and or "abrasive" now will most likely serve me better later on in life. I don't have much experience with mountain bikes so I thank you for your insight.

My LBS is great, I'm sure they'll let me take the bike out for a demo. I guess I'll just have to test them out and get a feel for what feels the best. The Rush 2 seems to be a good solid FS bike for the price. I'm positive I won't come close to it's full potential and I'm sure it will be more then enough bike for what I want to experience.

Thanks for the comment on my kids bikes. Your right, they got bikes before me. Although the bikes are walmart specials, for now anyway... hehe. Your certainly right, you can't put a price tag on ones health and memories with the family...