Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Scalple Cassette Upgrade

793 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Craig S 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading my 10 speed 11–38 rear cassette to a 10 speed 11–42, or higher. I'm looking at the Sunrace MX3 11-42.

Has anyone done this? How well does it work with the existing derailer? Do I need a new/longer chain? Any words of advice before moving forward with this? Any recommendations of a good cassette?

#2 ·
Shimano or Sram derailleur? I have done this on 4 different bikes I own. I have used the Sunrace cassette as well as a cog extender. If using Sram you should be good to go. If Shimano it can be a little finicky, even if you have a longer B tensioner screw. I have also used a goat link with an XT and it worked pretty good but not perfect. I ended up putting a XT 11 speed derailleur on there paired with the XTR 10 speed shifter and the Sunrace MX3 11-42 and it works great. I'm also right in the middle of another build trying a 10 speed XT derailleur with longer B tensioner and the MX3 11-42 with an XT Shifter and I'm not having good luck. I can't add the wolftooth goat link as it is a direct mount derailleur hanger. So it looks like I'll by dropping a little coin on a 11 speed XT derailleur. So I guess what I'm saying is if you have Sram go for it. If Shimano and you give it a shot, just be prepared to either get a Wolftooth goat link or OneUp rad cage (although I have no experience with rad cage) or get an 11 speed Shimano derailleur to pair with it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.