Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Scalpel Carbon 2 - Just Ordered!

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Scalpel. I've been wanting one for a couple years and finally decided to get one. I'm currently riding an Epic. Estimated delivery is the first of Feb. so I have some time to wait. I'm planning to upgrade the wheels, but besides that will likely keep everything stock. Any must do upgrades besides the wheels?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What wheels are you planning to upgrade??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Your doing the only upgrade I'd do on that bike "wheels" , XT is good stuff.
    If you have a fat wallet go with Carbon wheels

mtbr member
    I haven't decided yet what wheels I'm going to upgrade to. I don't think it will be carbon, but I'm still researching my options.

mtbr member
    Buy the Enve's the Team model has from me! That way I can afford the team bike!
    I race for Crosshairs Cycling
    www.crosshairscycling.com

My stupid blog
    www.capitalbiker.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Sure - will you price them similar to what a set of Stan's cost?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttusomeone View Post
    Sure - will you price them similar to what a set of Stan's cost?
    2nd in line

mtbr member
    I will be not gettin the carbon team but the scalpel 2 as well. Anyone interested in the Enve's should think twice. The rims are the same weight as a Notubes Crest..... I am sure the ENVE is stiffer and handles better though...

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My opinion - don't try the Enve's if your plan is to sell them. If you ride them, you'll never want to get rid of them. They are not much lighter than Crests, but in this case weight is misleading. The Enve's are a much better wheelset - stiffness to weight is much higher. Somehow the Enve's manage to be very stiff where you need them to be, and yet still offer a fair amount of compliance. I had a pair on my Flash Carbon Ultimate a couple of years ago - still miss the wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I should add - for the money the Crests are a great wheelset. It's just not fair to compare them to Enve's. When the Valor (Stan's carbon) comes out, then the real tests will begin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, could you tell me about the brakes? I see cannondale advertise them as XT race
    XT are great breaks
    What's the difrence between XT and XT race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay1 View Post
    Hi, could you tell me about the brakes? I see cannondale advertise them as XT race
    XT are great breaks
    What's the difrence between XT and XT race
    Shimano makes two types of XT brakes - trail and race. The only differences are the race is lighter because it doesn't have the built in free stroke adjustment.

mtbr member
    well I guess I was wrong.... Trail and race.. hmmmmmmm

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tks ah
    I sold my motorbike just so I could afford XT brakes and ENVE xc rims on my 2013scalpel c2
    They are great, so solid
    Defiantly notice the difference
    The stans crests that came of the scalpel are also great, so great in fact my plan was to build a f29 around them, but I changed my mind and just bought a new f29c2 and will fit the Stans crests which should make it a XT powered rocket
    Upgrading the 2013 scalpel to XT ice tech brakes was also a great move, great your bike came with them
    The other mod I did to my scalpel was to fit a ks lev seat post, I'm long in the legs and do a fair bit of downhill on my scalpel and I'm not worried about the weight as I'm not a serious racer
    I'd post a photo but I don't know how from the iPad

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just ordered my 2014 Scalpel 29 Carbon 2! Can't wait. Well, actually it is winter around here, and Cannondale being Cannondale these days, I WILL wait, but I don't mind waiting. I've got a (alloy) Scalpel from 2013 that the wife / son ride... so i am happy to have another one coming. I don't think I'll do much upgrades - except I did upgrade the fork to the Carbon Lefty (yeah). I am thinking about a dropper, but I might 'endro-ise' my Turner Sultan - put on a riser handlebar, dropper and use that for slow 'tractor' riding, and leave the scalpel as light as possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm interested in the '14 Scalpel Carbon 2 also. Anyone have a weight on the bike stock? I'd bet it's low 24's?

I too see the wheels as the biggest weakness in spec, and I'd go 1x as well to save weight as I don't need a granny here. How heavy are those Crossrocs though?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I saw the crossroc rim only is around 1920 per pair... Kind of a bummer to have a $499 wheel set on a $5,000 bike. I am 210 lbs, and I don't see too many options for a light carbon wheel for my weight... Still looking. Now sure I want to spend another couple of grand on wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Yeah it is a bummer to have wheels like that on an otherwise well specced bike. That said, for sub 1k you can do tons better, albeit not carbon. I might see what a dealer would upgrade me for out of the box.

mtbr member

I'm planning to try some Stan's crest on mine when it finally comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Two weeks ago I ordered the scalpel team version in XL. Super excited, after test riding a large an xl the xl felt way more comfy. The price difference is pretty big but I am hoping to sell the ENVE wheelset and build up a set of 355's I have laying around to kick on it. I will post some weights when I get it.

As for the scalpel carbon 2, I found a pic of someone weighing a small or medium one (the large and xl have a hole above the shock that almost looks like a handle to carry the bike, thats how I know this one is a small or medium). Posted at 11.11kg, that is 24.5lbs. Not bad considering those wheels are HEAVY! Throwing on a set of crest's on decent hubs should drop you half a pound, those tires are reported as heavy as **** too.

http://www.bikescale.com/images/foto...p_img_7844.jpg

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by need4gforce View Post
    Two weeks ago I ordered the scalpel team version in XL. Super excited, after test riding a large an xl the xl felt way more comfy. The price difference is pretty big but I am hoping to sell the ENVE wheelset and build up a set of 355's I have laying around to kick on it. I will post some weights when I get it.

As for the scalpel carbon 2, I found a pic of someone weighing a small or medium one (the large and xl have a hole above the shock that almost looks like a handle to carry the bike, thats how I know this one is a small or medium). Posted at 11.11kg, that is 24.5lbs. Not bad considering those wheels are HEAVY! Throwing on a set of crest's on decent hubs should drop you half a pound, those tires are reported as heavy as **** too.

Just about everything on the carbon 2 is heavier. If you wheel and deal and carbon team that is the way to go.

Why do you want to ditch the Enve wheelset?

Also did they give you a timeframe when your bike will ship? I hope these things don't get on back order as I also have one on order and need it by march 10 for a ride down south.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Good info, thank you! Looks like it might be a small, but still not bad weight considering the wheel/tire combo. It would be easy to go lighter, and with a 1x10 setup and some lighter wheels/tires tubeless the thing would be a very good weight. Aside from that it's a good spec. Yeah it doesn't have the carbon lefty, but for me this carbon 2 is the only attainable carbon model, the Team would be the ultimate solution though if it was in the budget!

mtbr member
    Dont get me wrong the enves are sick and I am sure they ride like different animals since they are waay stiffer than any alloy in the same weight. I would just call the shop and have them double check on the date of arrrival. I sure hope mine does not get pushed back. I am over riding my cross bike at the moment!

Edit ( I am selling the enve's or will try to in order to help pay for the bike!)
    Last edited by need4gforce; 02-24-2014 at 08:09 PM.

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Dont get me wrong the enves are sick and I am sure they ride like different animals since they are waay stiffer than any alloy in the same weight. I would just call the shop and have them double check on the date of arrrival. I sure hope mine does not get pushed back. I am over riding my cross bike at the moment!

Edit ( I am selling the enve's or will try to in order to help pay for the bike!)
    I think the Envy wheels should be bombproof for normal XC riding. They are strong and have the DT Hubs. Which from what I hear are extremely reliable. They compromised and used 350's and not 240's and for me I am plenty ok with that.

mtbr member
    Got the Scalpel yesterday. Only had a chance to ride it on the road. I'm going to spend all weekend on the trails though. It weighed in at 24.5 pounds with pedals, bottle cage, and speed/cadence sensor. That's also swapping the stock wheels with Stan's Crest setup tubeless. I'm hoping to be able to knock off another half a pound or so eventually, just don't know how yet without having to spend a lot of money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast