Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 346

Thread: 2014 models

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xycarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    241

    2014 models

    When do the 2014's come out? For reference, does anyone know when the 2013's first became available?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    211
    I started seeing pictures of the 2013 F29s around july 2012. You probably have to wait a bit

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    396
    If memory serves me correctly, a bike shop in New Zealand was the first to have any pics & info last year. I think we all blew up their server though, doubt they do it again. I think it was before the USA dealer meetings, which are coming up soon I think.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Things get leaked earlier and earlier every year but it takes awhile for the official site to show new models. Someone will post them here when they show up.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StumpyElite2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    451
    I am eager to know as well what goodies are awaiting us, but..
    Isn't it the general case that every year prices goes up and components level goes down
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

  6. #6
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    I am eager to know as well what goodies are awaiting us, but..
    Isn't it the general case that every year prices goes up and components level goes down
    Yeah, but the technology trickles down so it's usually a draw.
    Axle Standards Explained

    Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bumblebeetuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20

    Re: 2014 models

    In market for a scalpel 2, wondering if I should wait and see




    ride it hard and put it away muddy

  8. #8
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Here are some 2014... Doesn't look like the Scalpel 29er and F29 FRAMES will change much, updated paint, new specs... Mavic mountain bike tires?

    www.BicicletasGonzalo.es - Adelanto gama Cannondale 2014. Tecnología alienígena.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    211
    So they aren't doing an Ultimate anymore? Looks like the Team is now the top model. I wonder if it'll come in another colorway as well. Also, it looks like the Team version doesn't have a SAVE seatpost?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    I like the Hollowgram/xx1 crank... hate the colors of everything on that site.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,478
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    So they aren't doing an Ultimate anymore? Looks like the Team is now the top model. I wonder if it'll come in another colorway as well. Also, it looks like the Team version doesn't have a SAVE seatpost?
    Hard to say.
    Different countries get different models.

  12. #12
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Well, the team replica has XX1, Enve wheels, swap the Avid brakes for something else and you're close to the ultimate setup... Unless it's the blacked out color theme you want. These are euro models... and it's not every models.

    As for the SAVE post, many people don't like it because of the movement or because it's heavy, it's often the first part to go on Flashes...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  13. #13

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    Carbon 2 has great colors , i think is missing the ultimate and the alloy models , same frame for scalpel and f29 , probably an rz replacement , 650 b versions and something else ... these are european models ,and will be available in a couple of weeks .

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal View Post
    Carbon 2 has great colors , i think is missing the ultimate and the alloy models , same frame for scalpel and f29 , probably an rz replacement , 650 b versions and something else ... these are european models ,and will be available in a couple of weeks .
    Good! Death to the BatMan edition! Can't wait to get the new team F29! Already started hounding my LBS to pre-order me one. Take my card - don't show me the price hahaha!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  16. #16
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    And the F29 Carbon will be available in size small.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    619

    2014 models

    The HiMods look like they have 142x12 axles. I'm "seeing/wishful thinking" that the axle is immediately above that derailleur hanger....


  18. #18
    LAN
    LAN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    77
    Looking at the hi-res pictures from Cannondale it looks like 12x142mm axle on Hi-mod, standard frame still normal qr.

    But it's not mentioned in the frame description

  19. #19
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    so ...142 or not, on the Flash ?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Any idea if the F29 and Scalpel Carbon 1 are still going to be produced?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    so ...142 or not, on the Flash ?
    Despite what the pictures show, it's a NO.

  22. #22
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by LetoEscobar View Post
    Any idea if the F29 and Scalpel Carbon 1 are still going to be produced?
    Why not? One guess, some models featuring SRAM's new X01 group (XX1 tech trickled down to X.0 level) may be kept closer to the chest since SRAM hasn't unveiled the group yet... I wouldn't be surprised if the F29 1 and Scalpel 1 were speced with it...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    211
    As far as I understand it, 142 x 12 doesn't make as big a difference on a hardtail as it does on a full suspension bike. So maybe they won't go that way on the F29.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    717
    Anyone got any ideas on price points? I read 5.5£ for the Ultimate somewhere..
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    f29 carbon 1 -6599euros
    f29 carbon 2 -3999euros
    f29 carbon 3-2899 euros

    And the rear axle is no its not 142mm but a standard one .

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal View Post
    f29 carbon 1 -6599euros
    f29 carbon 2 -3999euros
    f29 carbon 3-2899 euros

    And the rear axle is no its not 142mm but a standard one .
    By Carbon 1, do you mean Ultimate? Or is the Ultimate more?

    Also, I understand the launch time to be around 13-15 of August.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freak6767's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    103
    Trigger 27,5" also confirmed.
    Cannon is also bringing back the rush from what I heard...
    Jekyll with leftys supermax also in the 2014 range.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418
    could the 27.5 trigger be the rush?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418
    they needed to do the jekyll in 27.5 as well.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Is there even a prototype 650B Flash being used by someone on the World Cup circuit? I guess the new XTR group won't show up til the 2015 bikes?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    Rush in a trigger platform ? i really dont believe ,trigger is a very very close design of jeckyll ,i guess it will be the rz replacement , 120mm with an alloy frame or maybe with also a carbon one but with lower price , i really hope a sexy design ,nothing as spec camber that is horrendus , but as a single pivot ? rush is legendary ,so do it well or give up , since last two years im speaking about a legendary return of rush ,so its now ?

  32. #32
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal View Post
    Rush in a trigger platform ? i really dont believe ,trigger is a very very close design of jeckyll ,i guess it will be the rz replacement , 120mm with an alloy frame or maybe with also a carbon one but with lower price , i really hope a sexy design ,nothing as spec camber that is horrendus , but as a single pivot ? rush is legendary ,so do it well or give up , since last two years im speaking about a legendary return of rush ,so its now ?
    As much as I think the Trigger does everything the Rush did and then some, the beauty of a Rush type of bike, even with similar travel is that without the travel adjust, the DYAD shock and a simpler rear suspension, it would be cheaper and potentially lighter... But, isn't the Scalpel 29er making a Rush pretty pointless? Yes it has a tiny less travel but with the big wheels, the Scalpel 29er does whatever the old Rush did better, it's marketed as a race bike, but it's a wonderful trail bike.

    I guess we'll see. I don't have any insider info on this... but heard way back when it was introduced that the 29er Trigger would get a carbon frame eventually. And yeah, the SuperMax with more travel for 26 (or 27.5) wheels was a given...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    We will see soon but a scalpel is always a xc country bike with a high level of confort , cannondale does not have a bike to make tete a tete with spec camber 29er , trek fuel ex 29er so ...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: 2014 models

    When you move the headset spacer to the bottom and put a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front... the scalpel will destroy the bikes you mention.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5
    I can guarantee that at least the Scalpel Ultimate will come with a carbon swing link and steerer tube.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Why not? One guess, some models featuring SRAM's new X01 group (XX1 tech trickled down to X.0 level) may be kept closer to the chest since SRAM hasn't unveiled the group yet... I wouldn't be surprised if the F29 1 and Scalpel 1 were speced with it...
    Flash29 with X01 - that is music to my ears...

  37. #37
    mnt bike laws of physics
    Reputation: yogiprophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,612
    I was talking with a dealer and was told they will be able to leak out info about 2014 models on the 28th of this month - immediately after the dealer camp.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    34
    Interesting, the Carbon 2 comes standard with the Wheels MFG BB30 adapters to fit the XT crankset. Surprising to me that it's an option from the factory.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    211
    If the team replica version (as seen floating around on the net) is the top version, the F29 Carbon 1 would have to have X01, because it seems it's no longer possible to use a direct mount front derailleur on the Hi-Mod frame (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1)

  40. #40
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    If the team replica version (as seen floating around on the net) is the top version, the F29 Carbon 1 would have to have X01, because it seems it's no longer possible to use a direct mount front derailleur on the Hi-Mod frame (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1)
    Might just be the Photoshop job, these pre-release images are needed before production starts so often they're pieced together in Photoshop so the catalogs and other such things are ready on time.

    But if indeed there'sno tab, that's good too, front derailleurs already seem so outdated!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418
    im pretty sure clementz and cruz have jekylls with no front dee tabs.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Might just be the Photoshop job, these pre-release images are needed before production starts so often they're pieced together in Photoshop so the catalogs and other such things are ready on time.

    But if indeed there's no tab, that's good too, front derailleurs already seem so outdated!
    If you can put on a big chainring. If a 38 doesn't fit the frame then I would want a double. Riding around my local trails on a 32 would suck. 32 is too small.

  43. #43
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    If you can put on a big chainring. If a 38 doesn't fit the frame then I would want a double. Riding around my local trails on a 32 would suck. 32 is too small.
    The CFR guys ride their's with a 36t ring most of the time, I'm pretty sure a 38t would also fit.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    'Cause the guys at Cannondale aren't dummies, unlike some other companies that aren't compatible with anything bigger than a 32.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    40
    Yes, might be an early production or photoshop job.

    Here is a press image from last year's F29 team carbon and it also is missing the front derailleur mounts and last year definitely had them...

    2014 models-f29_carbon.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Might just be the Photoshop job, these pre-release images are needed before production starts so often they're pieced together in Photoshop so the catalogs and other such things are ready on time.

    But if indeed there'sno tab, that's good too, front derailleurs already seem so outdated!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    110
    Some details about scalpel 29, new Rush 29 and trail:
    Cannondale Scalpel Black Inc. To Trail And Tango - BikeRadar

    Scalpel got a new full carbon link and stealth routing for dropper seatpost.
    But personally I'd prefer to see it in XX1 configuration rather than XTR...

  47. #47
    Norðwegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,561
    2014 Rush and 29 Scalpel:

    New Cannondale Rush and Scalpel 29 Carbon Black Inc | Mountain Bike Review

    If there's 27.5 frames I might be interested, but all that 29r stuff isn't.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    I'd like to see a Black Inc 650B Flash with new XTR.

  49. #49
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I'd like to see a Black Inc 650B Flash with new XTR.
    When is the XTR re-design due? With XX1 and now X01, Shimano has fallen waaaaaay back in the mountain bike drivetrains... The last announced XTR update was a no show, only losing a few grams, updated brakes (which got uglier with the finned rotors but they work soooo well!).

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    No idea. You're supposed to tell me! :P
    I was hoping that it would be on the new 2014 bikes but I haven't seen anything yet.

  51. #51
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    No idea. You're supposed to tell me! :P
    I was hoping that it would be on the new 2014 bikes but I haven't seen anything yet.
    Just a guess but I think it will be announced during 2014... but the 2014 XTR is already known and announced so a true new XTR would be on 2015 models.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    The 2014 Black Inc looks to be moving towards a more trail oriented bike that an XC race, due to the dropper post.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    211
    I don't think Shimano is going to do a 1 x 11 drivetrain. At least not using a new hub standard. The obvious choice for them is to go towards electronic shifting. However, I'd really like to see a single-ring group from Shimano. But as Dan notes, it won't happen soon I'm afraid. Shimano went cheap on the 2014 update, which left me quite disappointed to be honest.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Just a guess but I think it will be announced during 2014... but the 2014 XTR is already known and announced so a true new XTR would be on 2015 models.
    full revamp of shimano groups only happens every 4 years or something. if they do a 1x group, we wont see it until 2015 i'd say.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    I wonder if Shimano were working on a double chainring Di2 group, scraped it and started over with a single ring drivetrain. Anyway, I can wait for at least another year. I'm just about ready to put together a Salsa frame with XX1 and XTR discs.

  56. #56
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I wonder if Shimano were working on a double chainring Di2 group, scraped it and started over with a single ring drivetrain. Anyway, I can wait for at least another year. I'm just about ready to put together a Salsa frame with XX1 and XTR discs.
    Electronics... Meh.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by LetoEscobar View Post
    The 2014 Black Inc looks to be moving towards a more trail oriented bike that an XC race, due to the dropper post.
    I thought the same thing. Why would you need a dropper post on a pure XC machine? You're going too fast to fiddle with that sh!t.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: 2014 models

    Have you used one?

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Have you used one?

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Care to elaborate?

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: 2014 models

    So I take that as a no?

    If you race on steep, technical courses, a dropper post is a huge advantage. The 2-300g weight penalty is worth it.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,481
    I'm just trying to understand. Do you have a Scalpel with a Dropper Post on it?

    I've only seen dropper posts on freeride bikes, and I certainly wouldn't do that with my Scalpel.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    So I take that as a no?

    If you race on steep, technical courses, a dropper post is a huge advantage. The 2-300g weight penalty is worth it.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    You are Right about short technical courses, but most everyday riding would benefit more from less weight that the dropper post. personally i would have liked a FOX iCTD shock or other improvements first.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: 2014 models

    I'd suggest you'd benefit more from just riding and getting stronger and being faster on technical sections than worrying about a few hundred grams.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by LetoEscobar View Post
    You are Right about short technical courses, but most everyday riding would benefit more from less weight that the dropper post. personally i would have liked a FOX iCTD shock or other improvements first.
    You couldn't be more incorrect.
    300g weight saving would be worth something small like 10 seconds over a 10k climb.
    Dropped post used effectively is worth much more than that on everything but climbs

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    29
    I think its great that the scalpel will have a internal routed dropper post! Wish I had one on mine. There are a couple of steep sections were I ride and a dropper would be nice no doubt.

    I don't race but if I did I would prep my bike for each event, and if there was no need for a dropper post then off it would go. But then again I'm really good with a wrench

  66. #66
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    To drop the saddle or not, it comes down to personal preferences, skills, technique and the trails you ride. Personally, I wouldn't want a dropper post on a bike like a Scalpel. I used to drop my saddle a bit for longer descents but with time, I became used to let it at it's proper pedalling height all the time without being slower. The only places I could see a point is on extremely steep and technical descents. There's no right or wrong here, to each his own.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    I think Cannondale is going to have and scalpel Team with XX1 and no dropper post as another option to the black inc. probably the same built as the 2014 F29 Team, what I would love to see is and F29 Black Inc.

  68. #68
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,307
    I am looking forward to the new Rush, thinking about buying one, but not sure until specs are completely released.

  69. #69
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,144

    2014 models

    Re: droppers; No matter where you land on dropper posts, you can't argue against pre-routed internal cable or hose runs.

    Re: Electronic shifting; in my opinion electronic shifting = moped, but I rode 60 hilly miles on a DI2 roadie and I have to tell you it is fantastic. Really works great. I was especially amazed by front shifting. It got me thinking that electronic shifting on the FRONT derailleur of a trail bike would be a very nice feature. You would still have all ten (or eleven) gears in back in case of a malfunction or battery fail, and you could use a smaller, lighter battery and a simple cable run.

    For 2014, the Cannondale product I'm excited about is the new Synapse roadie.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Re: droppers; No matter where you land on dropper posts, you can't argue against pre-routed internal cable or hose runs.

    Re: Electronic shifting; in my opinion electronic shifting = moped, but I rode 60 hilly miles on a DI2 roadie and I have to tell you it is fantastic. Really works great. I was especially amazed by front shifting. It got me thinking that electronic shifting on the FRONT derailleur of a trail bike would be a very nice feature. You would still have all ten (or eleven) gears in back in case of a malfunction or battery fail, and you could use a smaller, lighter battery and a simple cable run.

    For 2014, the Cannondale product I'm excited about is the new Synapse roadie.
    I'm very excited, I'm not sure what I'm going to buy just yet. But one thing is for sure, Cannondale will be receiving a significant amount of my hard earnt cash this year!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CarlS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    183
    I'm interested in the Scalpel 2 29er. It is VERY hard to read the specs on that image earlier in the thread. does nayone have a link to better quality image or more info on this bike? from what I can tell it is going to have pretty much all XT level with Crossmax wheels? does it say which rotors, ice tech? sounds kind of heavy to me, I'm wondering what it will weigh in at compared to 2013. would like to know more about the tire/wheel combo. and if that would be a good place to upgrade.

  72. #72
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,071
    The Rush looks like a fun bike, essentially just an RZ 29er.

    Re the dropper post - it's a no-brainer to equip the bike w/ one. Its just much easier to ride aggressively over tech descents or any obstacle/terrain that requires getting the riders weight back and low over the rear tire. Weight weiners can always replace it if they choose.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CarlS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    To drop the saddle or not, it comes down to personal preferences, skills, technique and the trails you ride. Personally, I wouldn't want a dropper post on a bike like a Scalpel. I used to drop my saddle a bit for longer descents but with time, I became used to let it at it's proper pedalling height all the time without being slower. The only places I could see a point is on extremely steep and technical descents. There's no right or wrong here, to each his own.
    I totally agree with you. I thought that a carbon Scalpel with zero pivot tech, the focus is all about reduced weight. The bike is not designed for gravity riding or really even A/M use, I thought the focus was more about XC racing and endurance riding. If I got a dropper post, I would put it on my 5" travel Stumpjumper in order to make it more fun at the bike parks and lift serviced trails. I find it really surprising that they would put one on a Scalpel. I have no problems descending most anything on a normal trail short of a full blown downhill course with my seat locked in normal position.

  74. #74
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,144

    2014 models

    You heard if here first: anyone gets a dropper on their '14 Scalpel and DOES NOT want it .... Hit me with a PM. I'll trade or buy it from you. I race my Scalpel, but it's a trail bike, so I'd be interested in trying it out.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: 2014 models

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    I totally agree with you. I thought that a carbon Scalpel with zero pivot tech, the focus is all about reduced weight. The bike is not designed for gravity riding or really even A/M use, I thought the focus was more about XC racing and endurance riding. If I got a dropper post, I would put it on my 5" travel Stumpjumper in order to make it more fun at the bike parks and lift serviced trails. I find it really surprising that they would put one on a Scalpel. I have no problems descending most anything on a normal trail short of a full blown downhill course with my seat locked in normal position.
    The scalpel is an awesome trail bike, probably one of the most underrated. The steep, technical trails this bike can get through fast is astounding.

    Not everyone rides fire trail.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CarlS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    183
    Not everyone rides fire trail.
    seriously?

    if you need a dropper post to ride something more challenging than a fire road than you will never understand my point at all.

  77. #77
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,071
    You can ride XC w/out suspension. Suspension adds weight. Yet many people like suspension and are willing to a accept the weight compromise.

    My personal experience has been that I can bomb gnarly descents much more aggressively/easily with my seat dropped. The ability to transfer weight to the rear of the bike without the seat stuck in my stomach and/or impeding side-to-side body english, is pretty huge.

    Obviously, certain courses don't benefit from a dropper, and some do not benefit from suspension, either. Tis better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

  78. #78
    Norðwegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,561
    Are there any good dropperposts that just have a button/switch at the top of the post rather than another hose to route to the handlebars?

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: 2014 models

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    seriously?

    if you need a dropper post to ride something more challenging than a fire road than you will never understand my point at all.
    Let's see... they've added a feature that you can ignore and I will embrace. Somehow I think it's you who has missed the point.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    I totally agree with you. I thought that a carbon Scalpel with zero pivot tech, the focus is all about reduced weight. The bike is not designed for gravity riding or really even A/M use, I thought the focus was more about XC racing and endurance riding. If I got a dropper post, I would put it on my 5" travel Stumpjumper in order to make it more fun at the bike parks and lift serviced trails. I find it really surprising that they would put one on a Scalpel. I have no problems descending most anything on a normal trail short of a full blown downhill course with my seat locked in normal position.
    This is what I meant with my original post.
    A Scalpel is not made for going down anything that requires a dropper post. Warranty states it clearly. Which is why I find it strange that Cdale would spec a dropper on a Scalpel.

  81. #81
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    There's a 29er tandem for 2014:

    2014 models-1013662_599249563432301_1040012722_n.jpg


    And the Black Inc. line now includes a SuperX cross bike with hydraulic discs (top bike, middle one is a CAAD10, bottom is a SuperSix Evo).

    2014 models-1013786_599249490098975_296992404_n.jpg

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,481
    Love the black on black.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    It looks like it has a Hollowgram crank. The high end Cannondales should come with Hollowgrams not FSA stuff.

  84. #84
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Are there any good dropperposts that just have a button/switch at the top of the post rather than another hose to route to the handlebars?
    There are. But having to reach under the seat to drop the post is almost as bad as having to flip a QR clamp.

    The beauty of a good dropper is that u don't miss a beat when dropping or raising the post. It is a seamless mindless exercise that becomes intuitive as u attack certain sections of trail and repeatedly drop/raise the post as desired. The bar mounted remote is a must for this.

    Clearly, the optimum seat height for max pedaling efficiency is sub-optimal for max control on gnarly steep descents or highly technical sections. When u are tired and sweaty, fumbling for a lever under your seat as u approach a gnarly descent or brutal climb is no fun.

    Companies like KS Suspension have come out w/ lightweight carbon droppers for the weight weiner XC crowd - we will likely begin to see more of them on more technical courses as the weight drops.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  85. #85
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Love the black on black.
    Me too! I got a Evo Black Inc!

    Actually, I also love flashy/screaming/loud paint jobs... it's when it's too 'in between' that I don't care as much.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  86. #86
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    This is what I meant with my original post.
    A Scalpel is not made for going down anything that requires a dropper post. Warranty states it clearly. Which is why I find it strange that Cdale would spec a dropper on a Scalpel.
    Really? Check this out:



    Clearly, a dropper would have been beneficial for attacking that section, as well as many others: cyclephotos ?cyclocross photograpy » MTB World Cup #3, Nove Mesto na Morave

    For certain courses, the ability to effortlessly shift rider weight around without impediment would be optimal. Apparently, Canondale realizes this. Kudos to them.

    And the XC courses are becoming more technically challenging - that is where the sport is headed. The top guys have great cardio, but also know how to ride a bike over gnarly terrain, rock gardens, jumps, crazy descents, etc. UCI MTB XCO WORLD CUP ROUND 2 NOVE MESTO NA MORAVE - YouTube
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  87. #87
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Really? Check this out:

    Clearly, a dropper would have been beneficial for attacking that section.
    I disagree here, not long enough. You can easily get behind the saddle to go down that without losing time. I agree it could make sense for very long descents but for this, once you develop the skill to move behind the saddle, you can descend that as fast.

    Where there is a difference and an advantage to a dropper post is when you need to stay behind and low for long enough that you could rest your legs by sitting on the saddle. But for such a short section, it's not needed. My opinion.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,481
    I've got a new screensaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Really? Check this out:



    Clearly, a dropper would have been beneficial for attacking that section, as well as many others: cyclephotos ?cyclocross photograpy » MTB World Cup #3, Nove Mesto na Morave

    For certain courses, the ability to effortlessly shift rider weight around without impediment would be optimal. Apparently, Canondale realizes this. Kudos to them.

  89. #89
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I've got a new screensaver.
    I got that in higher resolution if your screen is bigger...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  90. #90
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    I disagree here, not long enough. You can easily get behind the saddle to go down that without losing time. I agree it could make sense for very long descents but for this, once you develop the skill to move behind the saddle, you can descend that as fast.

    Where there is a difference and an advantage to a dropper post is when you need to stay behind and low for long enough that you could rest your legs by sitting on the saddle. But for such a short section, it's not needed. My opinion.
    I used to have the same opinion - until I mounted a dropper for DH use, and ended up leaving it on my bike for XC use.

    Clearly, those sections CAN be ridden quickly/safely w/ the saddle at max height, especially BY THE BEST RIDERS IN THE WORLD. And yet a few of them still manage to go over the bars once fatigued. Fumic could rapidly descend that on a rigid steel beach cruiser with banana seat.

    A dropped saddle just makes it MUCH easier to hit that section, especially for mere mortals, and thereby increases the margin for error quite a bit.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  91. #91
    Norðwegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    There are. But having to reach under the seat to drop the post is almost as bad as having to flip a QR clamp.

    The beauty of a good dropper is that u don't miss a beat when dropping or raising the post. It is a seamless mindless exercise that becomes intuitive as u attack certain sections of trail and repeatedly drop/raise the post as desired. The bar mounted remote is a must for this.

    Clearly, the optimum seat height for max pedaling efficiency is sub-optimal for max control on gnarly steep descents or highly technical sections. When u are tired and sweaty, fumbling for a lever under your seat as u approach a gnarly descent or brutal climb is no fun.

    Companies like KS Suspension have come out w/ lightweight carbon droppers for the weight weiner XC crowd - we will likely begin to see more of them on more technical courses as the weight drops.
    It would be a post used when I knew I was going somewhere with mountains, thus a switch would be fine as it would involve less swapping on my bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    This is what I meant with my original post.
    A Scalpel is not made for going down anything that requires a dropper post. Warranty states it clearly. Which is why I find it strange that Cdale would spec a dropper on a Scalpel.
    I think you need to take your scalpel out more, mine handles rough terrain just fine!

    IMHO, alot of what we're seeing with mountainbiking being divided into sub-divisions is just a marketing ploy. Sure some are sturdier than others and have specific areas they're good at (DH for example), but saying an XC bike can't go down mountains or trails is silly.

  92. #92
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    It would be a post used when I knew I was going somewhere with mountains, thus a switch would be fine as it would involve less swapping on my bike

    .
    That's what I had planned to do, too - but ended up just leaving the dropper installed all the time. But not because removal is a PITA - I just enjoy the dropper and am used to having it at my disposal.

    Once the cable remote is set-up and installed, removing/reinstalling it is a very simple operation, as mine (KS LEV) has a clamshell type bar clamp that does not require removal of anything else from the handlebar. The cable is simply zip-tied to the front derailleur cable - so snip 2 zip ties, and remove one allen bolt and the remote/cable is removed. This is the simplest aspect of swapping-out the dropper - the typical seatpost bolts and seat angle/positioning is way more time consuming. Owning a second seat that stays installed on the second post would be very helpful for a quick/easy swap.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Does any one have any news, Pics, info about the 2014 bikes from The Cannondale Event in Park City?

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    No news on the mtb lineup? no photos ?

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Me too! I got a Evo Black Inc!

    Actually, I also love flashy/screaming/loud paint jobs... it's when it's too 'in between' that I don't care as much.
    I actually LOVED the all mint green Synapse prototype. I think that looks better than the production model.

    and if I didn't already say so, congrats on the bike.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal View Post
    f29 carbon 1 -6599euros
    f29 carbon 2 -3999euros
    f29 carbon 3-2899 euros

    And the rear axle is no its not 142mm but a standard one .
    Do those prices include VAT? And if so, what is the VAT %??

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    These are european prices ,generally it can be litle diferences due to vat % in some countries ,but yes these prices includes vat ...

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal View Post
    These are european prices ,generally it can be litle diferences due to vat % in some countries ,but yes these prices includes vat ...
    And I assume that price for the Carbon 1 is the Carbon Team replica with the XX1 drivetrain?

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    Yeap ,carbon1 with team replica colors ,6499euros .

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,418
    no details or photos yet???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 08:12 PM
  2. 2014 When?
    By stygz1 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 04:12 AM
  3. 2014 models released?
    By Krackar in forum Trek
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 12:25 AM
  4. 2014 models, when?
    By bowseruni in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM
  5. Models that I dont' see. Future models?
    By markchang in forum Nicolai
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 01:06 AM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •