mtbr member

2013 Scalpel creaky steering fix?

I have a 2013 carbon scalpel with a carbon Lefty and it's been creaky from about the third ride on. I've taken it to two different mechanics who both thought it was just a little loose. They tightened things up but the creaking returned with 2-3 rides. A friend recently said it was a known issue and there's a fix from C'dale - can anybody confirm this and provide any information on what the fix is?
    Last edited by fueledbymetal; 02-02-2014 at 03:08 AM.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    I have a 2013 carbon scalpel with a carbon Lefty and it's been creaky from about the third ride on. I've taken it to two different mechanics who both thought it was just a little loose. They tightened things up but the creaking returned with 2-3 rides. A friend recently said it was a known issue and there's a fix form C'dale - can anybody confirm this and provide any information on what the fix is?
    Cannondale introduced an updated steerer tube design for the Scalpel last year, which is easily ordered. I ordered one, but it didn't help the squeaking on my 2013 Scalpel :-( What finally did it was pulling and lubing both head tube bearings. I'm still happy about having the updated steerer tube though, as it's a better design.

mtbr member
    Creaks can be really frustrating, once you get on top of them and know what to do to prevent them it's happy days. I don't have any issues with any of my 'dales atm. Sounds to be like you need to swap out your headset bearings mate. There are a few tricks you can do which will stop the creaking. Typically, the lower bearing isn't packed out enough, and that enables the mud and water to get in and reek havoc! Also, mud works it's way up the steerer and gets into the thread and again, that causes issues!

Where are you based mate?
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Nor­wegr
    Using a steerer and separate stem also removes the issue of the combined steerer and stem from Cadale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had the same issue with my Flash. I removed the stem from the steerer and wrapped the threads in teflon tape. problem was fixed immediately. Have a couple thousand miles on the tape and still no creak.

mtbr member
    Thanks all! I'm in Southern MD, but this is my stage race rig, so aside from the initial test ride I've only ridden it at the TSE & Breck Epic. I plan to use it at a few bigger single-day races this year like ORAMM. SS at all other times
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Southern MD? England? I'm happy to Skype you and should you how to rebuild it all, I would suggest you buy some new bearings and an "earnie tool"
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....