mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 rz120 1 questions.

Hey just wondering if anyone has this bike? I'm looking for a 26 XC bike and this seems to fit the bill nicely, was wondering how it rides compared to a stumpjumper fsr and if anyone knows what it weighs stock in a small or medium?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just bought a 2012 RZ120-2 Friday and rode yesterday on it. First FS for me - was riding a C'dale SL2 HT. My BF was riding a new 2012 Stumpjumper 29. I didn't ride any trails on his, but only on the street. I know the components are different between 2012 and 2013 on the RZ120's, but I assume geo is the same. First impressions of the two (keeping in mind these are 2012 models and his SJ is a 29 and my RZ is a 26):

1. Lower standover height on SJ, also seems a little more upright.
    2. SRAM on SJ and Shimano on RZ ( I prefer the Shimano)
    3. Fox on SJ and Rockshox on RZ (I prefer the Rockshox)
    4. Auto sag on SJ and full lockout. RZ's Monarch RT no true lockout.
    5. SJ lighter than RZ - RZ is known to be heavy - I believe #28

I really liked the RZ - very stout and stiff. Very well made. And I hunted for the 2012 because I liked the components better than the 2013 (plus cheaper!). I am not interested in speed, more in durability so the weight didn't bother me. I ride in Florida - no long ascents - roller coaster stuff with lots of roots and rocks.
    Last edited by cpurc; 11-04-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: forgot a point to make

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the input, I'm not crazy about the fox ctd stuff and the rz seems pretty well equipped, didn't know about the lockout, but I'm sure you can stiffen it up with some air if anything. I ride a hardtail now in south Florida and really on the fence about going full suspension. Going to demo both one of these days and see which one feels better.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_warrior View Post
    Thanks for the input, I'm not crazy about the fox ctd stuff and the rz seems pretty well equipped, didn't know about the lockout, but I'm sure you can stiffen it up with some air if anything. I ride a hardtail now in south Florida and really on the fence about going full suspension. Going to demo both one of these days and see which one feels better.

Thanks

I too prefer the Rockshox over the Fox. I was on the fence with FS until my BF got his FS - now we can both stay on the trail for a longer duration than with our HT's. I don't think I will need a true lockout here in FL - since I don't race and there isn't a lot of long distance climbing, setting it on its most rigid setting with a low rebound setting was just fine yesterday at Santos. I also forgot - the Monarch RT's dial control is very sturdy over the lever type control as in the SJ's Fox rear shock (also found in other Rockshox shocks).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sounds good, that's one of the main reasons I have been looking into a full sus, two laps in markham and my back is shot. Definitely considering the rz, it's more affordable than the sj too which doesn't hurt either. Thanks

Helmetless Crasher
    I've had an '11 RZ 120 two for about a year.
    Good bikes, but heavily depends on spec - c'dale uses different shocks on different models and equips some w/ a Lefty. Some do weigh 28+ lbs. My RZ weighed 26.5 lbs stock, and modded weighs 24.5 lbs.

Get one spec'ed w/ a Lefty and a shock w/ good platform, and you'll likely be very pleased with it.

EDIT:

Just peeped the 2013 spec RZ120 1 - RZ One-Twenty - Full Suspension - Mountain - Bikes - 2013.

C'dale has moved the bike WAY downscale, making room for the Trigger. The '11 RZ three or four is now the '13 RZ one. No Lefty. I'd pass on it.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah I noticed that in the rise thread, saw a lot with lefty's. still at the pricepoint it's equipped pretty well but not lookin for another 28lb bike

Helmetless Crasher
    Shame 'Dale is not offering a proper high spec RZ stateside.
    I think it kinda hurts the brand image a bit.

Look at what the other markets got as RZ's in '12, nice 24-25 lb leftied RZ's w/ some nice trimmings:

Cannondale 2012- RZ ONE TWENTY XLR 1 - YouTube.

Cannondale 2012-RZ ONE TWENTY XLR 2 - YouTube

I think 'Dale goofed up by bringing the 26" Trigger here, and nixing the higher-end RZ's.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Shame 'Dale is not offering a proper high spec RZ stateside.
    I think it kinda hurts the brand image a bit.

Look at what the other markets got as RZ's in '12, nice 24-25 lb leftied RZ's w/ some nice trimmings:

Cannondale 2012- RZ ONE TWENTY XLR 1 - YouTube.

Cannondale 2012-RZ ONE TWENTY XLR 2 - YouTube

I think 'Dale goofed up by bringing the 26" Trigger here, and nixing the higher-end RZ's.
    I dunno, but I like the 26" trigger more than the rize
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    I dunno, but I like the 26" trigger more than the rize
    And you should. It's a cooler more modern design. But the dual shock version costs $7k and the single shock version is $5k. Yet it has the same weight, travel and head angle as a $3.5k RZ.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

CD RZ on its way down

I have to agree with the notion that Cannondale has abandoned the the HIgh end well equiped RZ 120. I ride a 2010 RZ 120 2 w/ ultra lefty carbon fork. Great bike weighing in @ 25 lbs. My friends jump on it to try out the set up, they like the light weight, lefty, single pivot point and shoot nature of the bike. Cannondale has embarked on the flawed marketing campaign with the trigger. By the time they figure out there mistake they will have lost more clients. I am off to 650 B with a lefty. IBIS or Turner is the future for me.