mtbr member
    Sep 2012

2013 F29 Carbon 1 vs. Carbon 2...is the upgrade to Carbon 1 worth the price??

So, I'm debating between the 2013 F29 Carbon 1 and Carbon 2. For the longest time, I thought I only wanted the Carbon 2. Now, however, I'm debating do I shell out the extra $$ for the Carbon 1. So my question to the group is whether the extra $$ for the Carbon1 is justified. Is the upgraded frame and components worth the price?

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anyone?

LA CHÈVRE
    I'll bite.

Personally, not knowing the price difference though, I'd go for the 1 because it has the slightly lighter Hi-Mod frame and Carbon Lefty. Plus I'm not a fan of NoTube wheels, they're too delicate IMO and I'd be curious to try the Reynolds. They're new rims but from what I read, they seem to be nice. Those are the most important and expensive parts of a bike to upgrade, so I'd rather pick a bike for those than for the smaller components that are cheaper and easier to change. Not as important to me but the two color choices of the 1 are nicer looking than the 2 IMO.

Apart from the frame, Lefty and wheels, in my case, I'd probably take it all off and do a personal build with parts that are on my Scalpel right now (1x10 with a Hollowgram SL, XX rear GripShift with X.0 Type 2 derailleur, XX cassette...), buy new brakes (I profoundly dislike Avids/SRAM brakes) and sell everything (and I'd get a bit more money back from the Carbon 1 parts).

I was about to do that (I feel so old school with my 26" wheeled bike!) but, a new bike might have to wait, got some other projects in the pipeline...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    I'll bite.

Personally, not knowing the price difference though, I'd go for the 1 because it has the slightly lighter Hi-Mod frame and Carbon Lefty. Plus I'm not a fan of NoTube wheels, they're too delicate IMO and I'd be curious to try the Reynolds. They're new rims but from what I read, they seem to be nice. Those are the most important and expensive parts of a bike to upgrade, so I'd rather pick a bike for those than for the smaller components that are cheaper and easier to change. Not as important to me but the two color choices of the 1 are nicer looking than the 2 IMO.

Apart from the frame, Lefty and wheels, in my case, I'd probably take it all off and do a personal build with parts that are on my Scalpel right now (1x10 with a Hollowgram SL, XX rear GripShift with X.0 Type 2 derailleur, XX cassette...), buy new brakes (I profoundly dislike Avids/SRAM brakes) and sell everything (and I'd get a bit more money back from the Carbon 1 parts).

I was about to do that (I feel so old school with my 26" wheeled bike!) but, a new bike might have to wait, got some other projects in the pipeline...
    Thanks for the input. As a point of reference, the price difference would be $1400 as quoted by my dealer.