mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2013 29er Scalpel 1 or Scalpel 2

I'm torn between a Scalpel 1 or the 2. Obviously the $$$ difference is significant, though besides the wheel set is there a great difference between the 2 bikes ? I know the 1 has a carbon lefty,which sheds about an additional 110 grams. The group on the 2 is more to my liking though no matter which bike i get I'll be swapping out the Avid brakes for XT's. Any reliable weights for the 2 bikes, and is the difference in weight mostly the wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As unscientific as it was, I used frame color to select the 2 model. I would
    have upgraded this and that regardless of which model I picked, so I'd be
    stuck with reselling the extra stock parts either way. Also, depending on
    your weight, you might not even want the carbon fork that is stock on the
    1 model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I went with the 2 but
    last year the 1 came with the DT swiss wheels and there was no real benefit there between the 1 & 2 there. Now the 1 comes with carbon reynolds wheels. So I think you get more for your money with the 2013, even though the 1 no longer comes with the hollowgrams.

In my case, I picked up a set of used hollowgram cranks on ebay for $350, built a set of carbon wheels, and swapped out a few things (brakes, seat,post, bars) that I would have anyway even if I had gotten the 1. So really it came down to the carbon lefty, which is nice im sure, but I didnt think was worth the extra cost of buying the 1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just got the 2, money was my main reason for not getting the 1. After getting out on the first ride, I really couldn't imagine needing the 1, except carbon wheels are lust worthy. The cranks on the 2 are basically XO, just using SRAM's number system, and a lot of the rest of the parts are the same. I might get some cheap carbon rims from light-bicycle and call it good, and that would cost less than $400 for an upgrade. I'm even happy with the new elixir brakes, way better feel than older models.
    I honestly feel guilty for having a bike this nice, the 1 would be overkill for my non-pro arse.