mtbr member

2012 Team Scalpel small wheeled version

Had my 2011 Team Scalpel size small stolen a couple weeks ago in San Francisco along with all my gear. Once my battle with insurance is over I need a new rig. Anyone know if the 2012 Team has the same Lefty lockout as the 2011? I keep thinking about the 29er, but I am 5' 5.75" and have not connecting with many folks my size who have experience with 29 full suspension..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lowpsihighspeed View Post
    Had my 2011 Team Scalpel size small stolen a couple weeks ago in San Francisco along with all my gear. Once my battle with insurance is over I need a new rig. Anyone know if the 2012 Team has the same Lefty lockout as the 2011? I keep thinking about the 29er, but I am 5' 5.75" and have not connecting with many folks my size who have experience with 29 full suspension..
    It has the Rock Shox remote lockout which I think is the same as last year.

mtbr member
    Thank you Dekerf, that was the lock out my 2011 had

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thank you Dekerf, that was the lock out my 2011 had
    No problem. I'm 5'6" and I was going to order a Medium with a 100mm stem. I see you're riding a small. What size stem are you running? The small is over an inch shorter in top tube length than the medium. Not sure I want to go that small. I know it's all personal preference but would like your feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sorry about the mishap but good to see another Scalpel owner in the Bay

Mikes Bikes in the City has a Medium Scalpel 1 29er (see their GM JP)-

where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    No problem. I'm 5'6" and I was going to order a Medium with a 100mm stem. I see you're riding a small. What size stem are you running? The small is over an inch shorter in top tube length than the medium. Not sure I want to go that small. I know it's all personal preference but would like your feedback.
    I enjoyed/raced the 2010 Team in small and then the 2011 Ultimate in small also. Was professionally fit by a fellow cat 1 Scalpel loving expert fitter at Ball State University. Never once did I feel like the small was not big enough. With that, I have a bit longer legs than average which in return I have a shorter torso. Knowing this, a medium may be right for you if you are correctly proportioned. Both of my stems were stock sizing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23 View Post
    Sorry about the mishap but good to see another Scalpel owner in the Bay

Mikes Bikes in the City has a Medium Scalpel 1 29er (see their GM JP)-

where do you ride?
    Hey Spartan, thanks for the shout! I am living in SF out of a hotel about 2 weeks out of the month at the Intercontinental or Westin. When I was riding, mostly crossing the Golden Gate, up to the Marin Highlands and then hitting the trail network halfway down the decent. Have not ventured much farther because of my lack of car. The rest of my time I'm at my home in Indianapolis, which believe it or not, has the best singletrack in the midwest or actually rivals a lot of what I've ridden in NC, CO and CA. No exaggeration. As for my riding situation out there, I am fighting with my VP of Ops insurance company because it was stolen out of his house and they are having a hard time with the value of my bike and gear. Once I get this sorted out I will be up and running again soon! May actually be looking to keep my next high end race machine in Indy and get something used out there. Keep your eyes out for small HT or light FS that guy like me may be interested in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wow you are livin it up

Yes, I agree Marin Headlands including Mt Tam is kinda boring (mostly firetrails) but there are some descent ones if you know where to go..Annandale up Santa Rosa is nice and challenging.

or-

You could head down South or Mid Penninsula for some better singletrack action (Skeggs aka ECDM is one of my favorite) or go to the Northern Cal forums for bay area trail riding .

Again sorry to hear about your bike, hope the insurance covers the loss. If ever you want to ride the Penninsula let me know. We often ride on weekends and/or weekday night rides

I'm always on a lookout for Scalpels and Lefties, hopefully I can run into yours and report the bandits

Welcome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23 View Post
    Wow you are livin it up

Yes, I agree Marin Headlands including Mt Tam is kinda boring (mostly firetrails) but there are some descent ones if you know where to go..Annandale up Santa Rosa is nice and challenging.

or-

You could head down South or Mid Penninsula for some better singletrack action (Skeggs aka ECDM is one of my favorite) or go to the Northern Cal forums for bay area trail riding .

Again sorry to hear about your bike, hope the insurance covers the loss. If ever you want to ride the Penninsula let me know. We often ride on weekends and/or weekday night rides

I'm always on a lookout for Scalpels and Lefties, hopefully I can run into yours and report the bandits

Welcome
    Solid insight Spartan. Stay in touch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

hi there...

Reading ur tread made me think of what happend to u about ur bike, that really sucks. My uncle works at SFPD and about 3 weeks ago he talk to me about a house they raid and found 3 very expensive stolen bikes. One of them is actually a scalpel just like the one u mentioned. (My uncle knows bikes. He is into trail mountain) If u want, send me ur serial number if u still have it and see what happens ok. You never know. Crazy things happen in this small world.