mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2012 scalpel 29er dampener question

I recently bought a used 2012 scalpel with the XLR Lefty fork and Rock Shox XLoc. I have had issues with the rebound adjuster not seeming to work properly. The knob turns but never seems to reach a stopping point. The XLoc button is slow to return once it has been push in either the unlocked or locked mode. I do not think this is an issue with the XLOC. I have bled and refilled the XLOC and feel it is working correctly. I'm beginning to think it may be the dampening cartridge. I cannot find a lot of info on the cannondale site about servicing the dampener.

I have seen references to sending the dampener to cannondale or other companies for service. Is there a way to tell when a dampener needs to be serviced? Is the servicing something that can be "done at home" if one has the correct instructions and tools? Does anyone do swap outs for the dampener? There was one YouTube video where it appeared the person was doing a swap of the dampener cartridge and sending the old one back. Do the dampener cartridges for the 2012 scalpel 29er XLR use oil in the dampener? Do most cannondale authorized shops service the dampeners themselves or do they send them off for service?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am trying to understand how these dampeners work.

Fat Biker

Re: 2012 scalpel 29er dampener question

I had issues with my Xloc leaking due to a faulty issue at the rebound adjust. Shop mechanic said it was a known problem on some and replaced it for free. On my damper assembly it didn't matter if it was full ccw or cw, it never damped. As the fork was less than a year old (and I purchased the bike from them) they were able to get a replacement cartridge from Cannondale and do the work themselves. Normally Cannondale would require the fork returned but the top shop mechanic is fully certified on lefty overhauls so I got lucky to have a <1week turn-around.
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

Fat Biker

Re: 2012 scalpel 29er dampener question

Oh, and the special tool to remove the assembly cost upwards of $100
    They offered to sell me a used one for $90

As a former mechanic I'm RockShox and Fox certified. But for how much longer I'm going to keep the bike couldn't justify the one time tool purchase.
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoracerX View Post
    Oh, and the special tool to remove the assembly cost upwards of $100
    They offered to sell me a used one for $90

As a former mechanic I'm RockShox and Fox certified. But for how much longer I'm going to keep the bike couldn't justify the one time tool purchase.
    or you can just go on ebay and buy it for $45 Cannondale 2013 Super Castle Lefty Hybrid Needle Cartridge Tool White KH103 | eBay