mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2012 Lefty Flash 1 Rebound Lock Issue

Hi all,
    My lefty fork's rebound lock kinda has stopped working. If I press the poplock, the red rebound adjuster should pop up but it's not popping up anymore. I have to press and unpress several times for the red adjuster to pop up...
    I have not done a bearing reset on my fork since acquiring it early this year.

I always wash my bike after a wet/muddy ride. (I remember on the manual it says cover the top of the lefty fork when washing but I stopped doing that after reading on here that most people don't bother and just wash the whole of the bike)

Anyone know what could be the problem with my rebound lock?
    I can post a video tonight to better explain the problem..
    Cannondale Flash 1 Alloy (May 01 2013)
    Cube LTD Pro 2012 16" on it's way (Nov 25 2012 Ordered)

mtbr member
    It is possible you have dirt in the knob not allowing it to work correctly. Only way to know would be to take it apart. If you don't feel comfortable doing it I would suggest taking it to your LBS. It is not hard, but requires a special wrench to remove the cap on the top of the fork. You can Google the bearing reset procedure. It is easy to do, but really should have nothing to do with your button issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for that. I shall have a go. Been meaning to reset the fork as well but I don't have a bikestand so don't know how to go about doing a reset with no stand.

mtbr member
    Bike stand does make it a lot easier to do for sure. Not sure what type of rack you use to haul it around, but if a hitch mount where it hangs from the top tube of the bike you could use that. If a stand up mount then that won't help you obviously. If you want to do your own maintenance on your bike a stand is a great thing to have for sure. I have a Park PCS 10 stand and it is foldable if you don't have a place to just let it setup all the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I'll try a chair and prop the bike's bottom tube on the chair or something.
    Can't use a bike rack. Mine is the stand up thing that supports bikes on their tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    here's a video. Not had a chance to try and open it up. Most videos I can see on youtube about bearing reset shows the fork having a lever for the suspension lock. not a button like mine so I don't know if all I need is a Shimano wrench? Or do I need to use an allen key for the actual poplock button as well? (size 2mm or 1.5mm it looks like)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscleflex View Post
    here's a video. Not had a chance to try and open it up. Most videos I can see on youtube about bearing reset shows the fork having a lever for the suspension lock. not a button like mine so I don't know if all I need is a Shimano wrench? Or do I need to use an allen key for the actual poplock button as well? (size 2mm or 1.5mm it looks like)
    For the bearing reset all you need is a bottom bracket tool like this: Park Tool Co. BBT-9 : Bottom Bracket Tool : Bottom Bracket

the PBR doesnt require the buttons to be removed for reset
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure resetting the bearings will have no affect on the poploc not working as they are completely independant of each other..

I had a similar issue with one of my forks, turned out it was just some fine dust restricting the movement of the PBR buttons.. I removed the PBR buttons with an allen key, cleaned it all up with a lightly oiled rag and then used an air compressor to blow out any remaining dust.. all works fine now..

I would not squirt any oil in there as this will just attract more dirt in the long run..

It could also be air in the damper which stops the poploc returning correctly.. damper will need to be bled to rectify this..

I'd try cleaning it first though as this can be done in minutes with just an allen key..
    The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I do put WD40 or GT85 (i put GT85 last weekend as i'd run out of wd40) around the rebound adjuster after cleaning thinking it will help with the maintenance but I guess not.
    I'll try and have a look tonight after work and will take the button out like you've mentioned first and will give it a good wipe.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Mac is on the right track.

If that doesn't fix it, water and grit got farther down in, and has crumbed up the mechanism that runs the show.

Inexpensive to fix (no new parts other than perhaps 2 tiny ball bearings), but it needs to have the damper pulled and torn down, to fix it, so you'll need a competent mechanic.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I hope it's just the grit by the adjuster. there's no cannondale centers around me. I shall update tonight.

Can I just ask - everytime I wash and clean my bike, Must I need to cover up this top part of the fork then?

Quote Originally Posted by Muscleflex View Post
    Can I just ask - everytime I wash and clean my bike, Must I need to cover up this top part of the fork then?
    Much like other sensitive areas, I'd avoid a steady stream of water there, splash is one thing, blasting is another.

Want to be safe though? Sure, just toss a sandwich baggie over it....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok - so I started on the bike as soon as I got home from work. Turned out that my 38set tool box set does not have the Bottom Bracket tool (It came with a nut looking bottom bracket but not the wrench type tool I need)

So I decided to use a 1.5mm hex key and undid the poptop button. This released the button and the rebound adjuster and the spring. I cleaned it up (Still had some water and gt85 inside) but unfortunately, I think the problem is deep under the rebound adjuster where it pushes down into. It could be the damper? I will go to the shop this week and buy a bottom bracket tool so I can take the top off and have a look.
    I took some photos anyway.
    2012 Lefty Flash 1 Rebound Lock Issue-photo-1.jpg2012 Lefty Flash 1 Rebound Lock Issue-photo-2.jpg2012 Lefty Flash 1 Rebound Lock Issue-photo-1-1-.jpg2012 Lefty Flash 1 Rebound Lock Issue-photo-2-1-.jpg2012 Lefty Flash 1 Rebound Lock Issue-photo-3.jpg

If cleaning what you just pulled apart, didn't fix it, then you need to have the damper fully torn apart to fix it.

No two ways about it.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ^^ Crap!
    Does this mean I have to send the fork to an authorised Cannondale repair here in the UK?
    Would you be able to give me an estimate on how much this work costs over in the States??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    oh, also - is this the tool I'll need for resetting the fork bearings?
    SHIMANO BOTTOM BRACKET CUP REMOVER EXTERNAL BOTTOM BRACKET FITTING TOOL | eBay

Yep, that's the tool.

Pretty much, yes, it needs to go to someone who can pull the damper and disassemble said unit without damage.

You likely need no new parts beyond two tiny ball bearings. So what it will costs, depends on who does it.

Some will charge a couple hundred bucks, others will charge significantly less.

In the US, I want to say service at Cannondale is starting around 50 to 75 bucks for certain ala cart procedures, though I can't recall what a damper tear down and service costs there.

Prices range otherwise, across the country based on the scope of services rendered, much as in Europe.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for that. I'll have a look around.
    Shame I'm in the UK, else I would gladly send it to you and ask you to fix it as you've helped answer lots of questions of mine already.
    Thanks again!