mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2012 Flash Carbon 29'er 3

Does anyone know what the weight of the 2012 model is?

Is 2699 a good price?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was quoted $2600 at LBS here in Phx, so it doesn't seem out of the ballpark.

you may experience a few here who will tell how they got it for $1999 or some 'magical' deal pricing, at least that's what appears to happen when someone mentions hard numbers there's always the guy who says you overpaid and he got the worlds best deal.... anyway, good luck if you land one no doubt will be a killer ride, I love my Flash2 Alloy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have just purchased mine here in Australia its 10.5 k (23.48lb) with pedals.
    Price is $4000 retail I got it for $3500.
    Rides nicely & looks awesome I like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    C'dale under-produced Flash 29ers in both 2010 & 2011. Spoke to a C'dale rep at a LBS last week & he said they should be better preapared to meet demand in 2012. That said, Flash 29ers held their value pretty well both years. I'd say anything 10% off of MSRP is a good deal. I am trying to decide between the Carbon 3 or Alloy 1 myself. Want the carbon, but prefer SRAM mtb drivetrain. Any ride reports would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I test rode the flash carbon 3 today and it was pretty nice. The price at the LBS was 2699. The only thing that is holding me back right now is the reports about the drive train not being the best. If anyone has one of these I"d really appreciate some feedback on the bike.

Thanks.

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It seems that that difference between carbon and alloy bikes isn't all that significant.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by macmoo View Post
    I test rode the flash carbon 3 today and it was pretty nice. The price at the LBS was 2699. The only thing that is holding me back right now is the reports about the drive train not being the best. If anyone has one of these I"d really appreciate some feedback on the bike.

Thanks.

John
    Ive got a 2012 carbon 3 flash and a 2012 scapel 29 carbon 2. We have not had any issues so far from the flash, its a great bike stock. I will eventually replace the rims with stans but for now its fine. I dont know what drivetrain issues you would have as its all XT and a sramx9 crank. So far zero issues and its been ridden every week.

Edit...Oh and it weights just under 23 lbs with pedal using stans.

That being said, i like the scapel a lot better

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post
    C'dale under-produced Flash 29ers in both 2010 & 2011. Spoke to a C'dale rep at a LBS last week & he said they should be better preapared to meet demand in 2012. That said, Flash 29ers held their value pretty well both years. I'd say anything 10% off of MSRP is a good deal. I am trying to decide between the Carbon 3 or Alloy 1 myself. Want the carbon, but prefer SRAM mtb drivetrain. Any ride reports would be much appreciated.
    I originally was looking at the alloy1 flash, love that all flat black. I too wanted the sram but as my scapel 2 was going to be shimano as well and the carbon 3 was just a bit more I went for the 3. Was it worth it? I dont know, but he really likes the carbon 3. Its my sons bike actually. He never stops smiling

O-h
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Long time reader first time poster.

I'm in a same situation with many others. Flash Carbon 3 or Flash 1? I suppose the weight difference is not all that much if you upgrade the Flash 1 tires into something better, but is carbon frame worth the extra buck? Is it worth extra buck even if that extra buck would buy Arch EX rims and for example SAVE seatpost for the Flash 1?

Carbon 3 frame in XL weighs 1190 g but do you guys know how much Aluminum weighs?

mtbr member
    Medium size. All stock except the Shimano M540 pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Flash Carbon 29'er 3-flash3_1.jpg  

2012 Flash Carbon 29'er 3-flash3_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice......hopefully picking mine up from the shop this weekend. Bike is in, just swapping the Elixir's for XT's.....personnel preference. Also converting to tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by O-h View Post
    Long time reader first time poster.

I'm in a same situation with many others. Flash Carbon 3 or Flash 1? I suppose the weight difference is not all that much if you upgrade the Flash 1 tires into something better, but is carbon frame worth the extra buck? Is it worth extra buck even if that extra buck would buy Arch EX rims and for example SAVE seatpost for the Flash 1?

Carbon 3 frame in XL weighs 1190 g but do you guys know how much Aluminum weighs?
    I've not ridden the ali framed version but the I would say the main selling point of the carbon is the compliance rather than the lower weight - the carbon frame is very comfortable for a hardtail. As well as comfort, with the flex built into the frame it just kind of floats over roots and small obstacles.

O-h
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    I've not ridden the ali framed version but the I would say the main selling point of the carbon is the compliance rather than the lower weight - the carbon frame is very comfortable for a hardtail. As well as comfort, with the flex built into the frame it just kind of floats over roots and small obstacles.
    Thanks for the reply. As i've never really ridden a carbon MTB and don't have opportunity to test ride this one, i probably just need to see how far my budget stretches and go from there. I do like c'dale aluminum though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrawd View Post
    Medium size. All stock except the Shimano M540 pedals.
    Nice!

mtbr member
    For a crank replacement to the XX BB30, do you go with the Q156 or Q164 for the Flash?

O-h
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the reply. As i've never really ridden a carbon MTB and don't have opportunity to test ride this one, i probably just need to see how far my budget stretches and go from there. I do like c'dale aluminum though.
    Cannondale decided on my behalf as Aluminum Flash was apparently no longer available in Large. I have Flash Carbon 3 on the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    For a crank replacement to the XX BB30, do you go with the Q156 or Q164 for the Flash?
    My 2010 Flash 29er required the 164Q. I believe there is no difference in geometry in 2011 or 2012.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by macmoo View Post

Thanks.

John
    John,
    I got a brand new 2011 Flash Carbon 2 a couple of days ago. (NOS at a great price)
    I was also concerned about the FSA SL-K 386 BB30, 39-27 crank issues I read over the net.
    Took it for a couple of hours spin with many climbs and descends.
    It's shifting up and down just great - no chain suck or miss-fires.
    For plushness, I would definitely recommend the Carbon frame.
    Over all - an amazing light bike (23 lbs stock with pedals)

O-h
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Have any of you guys had any issues with getting your bikes if they had to be ordered from Cannondale? I've been waiting for my CF3 for five weeks now and I'm getting anxious.

O-h
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Have any of you guys had any issues with getting your bikes if they had to be ordered from Cannondale? I've been waiting for my CF3 for five weeks now and I'm getting anxious.
    Finally got mine yesterday and it was worth the wait. Less than happy with communications as I'm quite certain, based on my experience, that shipping within NA didn't take 6 weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I picked up a Flash Alloy 1 a few days ago - dealer told me any order would be June 1st at the earliest. I was originally leaning toward the carbon 3 but he had a flash 1 alloy in stock and gave me a good deal (meaning free pedals and etc...) I love it - I will eventually upgrade the seat post and wheels but otherwise I really do not see any negative to owning this alloy frame, its light and plays with that left fork nicely!

mtbr member
    May 2012

I'm in that position. Did some test rides this week and still can't decide. Would be nice to hear more opinions of actual owners.

For me Customer Service is also important, so I'm also comparing against the Stumpy Comp Carbon (yes, sorry, I did mention that in the Cannondale forums...shame on me).
    Last edited by rmcsharry; 05-12-2012 at 05:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's my story of how I ended up with a Carbon Flash 3.

I've owned a '10 Spec Epic Comp 29 since it was released (pre-ordered it so I never test rode the 2010 version). After two years with it I just wanted something lighter and a hardtail. I've always been intrigued by the Lefty fork so the Flash was my first choice.

No shops had any Carbon Flashes in stock in my size so I test rode the Alloy 1. No offense to anyone that owns an Alloy but it totally didn't do anything for me. The same shop I was doing the test ride also sold Specialized so it seemed that I should test a Stumpjumper. Unfortunately the one they had in stock in my size was the S-works Stumpjumper Carbon 29 XTR. Anyway this was my first experience with the XTR disc brakes and man were they powerful. Really nice bike but I wasn't looking for a $8100 bike.

What finally happened was I decided to order the Carbon Flash 3 with no test ride and hoped I would like it when it arrived. The outcome is I'm really happy with the bike, I was looking for something that was lighter than my Epic and my C-Flash is about 5 lbs less. I actually do think the weight difference is a factor between the alloy and carbon versions so if this is a concern than I would suggest going with the carbon.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just got back from testing the Stumpy Comp Carbon 29 for the past 5 hours and to my mind there is no comparison to the Flash Carbon 3, it's just so much more responsive, feels faster, rolls better and is more comfortable to boot.

So I've just become the happy new owner of a Flash Carbon 3 (tubeless). The LBS (vanherwerden.nl) also upgraded the BB30 bearings and seatpost (to SAVE carbon) for free, as well as knocking 100 euros off the price, so not a bad deal. Can't wait to collect it next week.