mtbr member

2012 Flash Carbon 29'er 2 Weight?

I'm currently contemplating picking up this bike and would like to know the weight. I ride a large and am comparing the Flash Alloy 1 29'er as well as the superflys. So far the Alloy 1 is the bargain of the group. Such a great bike for so little $$$. But with the Carbon 2 and superfly being very comparable I'd like to see what the weight is. I've been riding a fly for the last 3 years and it might be time for a change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Im picking up my 2012 Carbon Flash 29 1 this weeks. Weighed at the shop on a Parktool scale at 9.4kg's without pedals.

Their isn't really that much difference in spec. The 2012 Carbon flash has the carbon lefty fork, which is great news in the weight of the front end!

Lower spec rear hub and spokes add approx 120grams overall to the wheelset.
    Handlebar +120grams
    Combination on the groupset would be less than 400grams?
    So lineball at 10kg flat!

mtbr member
    Wow that's pretty good given that I have race wheels(DT 240s hubs laced to Stan's Crest Rims) to go on it and I'll swap the handlebar for sure. So it should be closer to the Flash Carbon 1 when in race form. My superfly only ever got down to about 10.4kg. Hmmm...more enticing for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just ordered a Flash Carbon 2 as well, I don't think the fork is the carbon variety though. Hoping for around 21 lbs plus pedals. Quite a change for my 27lb FS 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Flash Carbon 29er 2: 10kg
    Flash Carbon 29er 3: 10.4kg

New wheels on the Flash 3 drops it below 10kg and it's still cheaper than a Flash 2, at least in my part of the world.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Unfortunately, the Flash carbon 3 has a 2 month back order from Cannondale in Western US. Plus I like Arch rims, I run them on my Spearfish and really have had great luck. A solid all around wheelset.

Also are those weights as the bike comes out of the box, or converted to tubeless with sealant? I assume the tubeless setup would be even a bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I got those weight figures from my LBS, it's original bike straight from the factory not tubeless and w/o pedals.

Wow, 2 months wait, seems I was lucky to get my hands on one almost 3 weeks ago. I'm getting Crest rims on my new wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schear View Post
    Unfortunately, the Flash carbon 3 has a 2 month back order from Cannondale in Western US. Plus I like Arch rims, I run them on my Spearfish and really have had great luck. A solid all around wheelset.

Also are those weights as the bike comes out of the box, or converted to tubeless with sealant? I assume the tubeless setup would be even a bit lighter.
    Andrew,
    Get the 2011 Carbon 2( if you can find one) and save a load of $$$ over the 2012 model.
    It has the ZTR Arch rims and 2011 Lefty PBR upper is Carbon.
    (Only downside is the FSR crankset which is chain-suck infested...)
    Mine are 22.63 with pedals and 2 bottle cages.
    So probably less than 22 without pedals.
    Last edited by StumpyElite2010; 03-19-2012 at 02:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f4k3 View Post
    Flash Carbon 29er 2: 10kg
    Flash Carbon 29er 3: 10.4kg

New wheels on the Flash 3 drops it below 10kg and it's still cheaper than a Flash 2, at least in my part of the world.
    This is my stock Flash3 carbon 29er, all stock except the Shimano M540 pedals.

this is after the diet

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thats soooooooo cool!!

Love them spokes!!!!! This is the bike I want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrawd View Post
    This is my stock Flash3 carbon 29er, all stock except the Shimano M540 pedals.

this is after the diet
    Dude, what type of a diet did you put it on to drop nearly 3 lbs!?!?

Just picked up a Flash Carbon 2 (XL frame), and it weighed in at 22.6 lbs stock (w/ pedals).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kriskon@optusnet.com.au View Post
    Im picking up my 2012 Carbon Flash 29 1 this weeks. Weighed at the shop on a Parktool scale at 9.4kg's without pedals.

Their isn't really that much difference in spec. The 2012 Carbon flash has the carbon lefty fork, which is great news in the weight of the front end!

Lower spec rear hub and spokes add approx 120grams overall to the wheelset.
    Handlebar +120grams
    Combination on the groupset would be less than 400grams?
    So lineball at 10kg flat!
    The Flash carbon 1 and ultimate have a BallisTec Hi-MOD carbon frame. The 2 and 3 just have a BallisTec frame no Hi-MOD I dont think affects weight just the stiffness/feel of the frame.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt116 View Post
    The Flash carbon 1 and ultimate have a BallisTec Hi-MOD carbon frame. The 2 and 3 just have a BallisTec frame no Hi-MOD I dont think affects weight just the stiffness/feel of the frame.
    It's actually the opposite, Hi-Mod frames are a bit lighter, but both Hi-Mod and non-Hi-Mod carbon frames have about the same stiffness and feel.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :