mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2012 Flash 29er Carbon 1 - derailleur hangers snap!

I bought my bike in July of 2012 and am now on my third derailleur hanger! I ride off road about 2 days a week on average, the rest is on the road. I weigh about 164 lbs , 5'11". Medium frame , xtr rear derailleur (long cage). I do ride and race pretty hard. Anybody else have this issue with so many derailleurs getting ripped off!? At this point I wonder if my derailleur itself is tweaked enough that it acts up and gets caught.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    2011 Flash 2C 29er with SRAM X9 long rear der. - no problem...
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sounds like something is not right. I own one of these, lot's of my friends do and no problem. Have you had your derailleur checked out by a pro shop? Have you looked at your cassette? How are your cables and housing? Lastly, they're intended to snap before your carbon frame does. Check out North Shore Billet hangers if you're convinced it's something Cannondale did..

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Re: 2012 Flash 29er Carbon 1 - derailleur hangers snap!

Thanks guys, i do realize they are designed to snap first! I have had it checked out and they straightened the derailleur a bit after my first mishap.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a 2011 Alloy flash, and, snapped 3 separate hangers due to chain suck type issues. The rear der snapped too as the chain just got completely wrapped around and pulled the rear mech out laterally, ripping it off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mine was toast fresh out of the shop. Its pretty delicate.

Im on a flash alloy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Carbon 1 owner for a year now and no "snap" yet but i do carry a spare hanger.
    Had a stumpjumper like that once

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Your Derailleur is messed up and its breaking your hangers. Had it happen before and thought the same thing that the Derailleur was fine, it wasnt. Its going to keep breaking hangers until it eventually implodes itself

Ive got 2 Flash 29ers and 1 Scalpel 29er and never broke a hanger and I do a lot of long rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post
    Your Derailleur is messed up and its breaking your hangers...
    That's a little presumptuous.

I've had a f29 for 2 months and a (very small) stick caught the chain and the hanger snapped like a twig.

After inspecting the hanger I was surprised to see how little metal was keeping the whole thing together. I understand the purpose of a hanger is to protect the frame and derailleur. But this c.dale hanger seems excessively fragile. I imagine it was designed to protect the carbon frame which is probably a little more sensitive to damage than the alloy version.