Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by niamakk View Post
    thanks for you info, very appreciated. Which means 2012 lefty 29er actually is a 130mm lefty. Pre 2012 lefty 29er with 90mm is a lefty ultra 120mm travel ? sorry for noob question. just for double check

The 2012 Lefty starts out s a 140, and is then shortened in A to C to 500, and travel reduced to 100.

There is no 130 fork structure anymore. 140 and 120 are the same structure and damper.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I currently have an Ultra set to 90mm of travel for my 29er and would like to increase travel if possible. Also, will this increase the A to C?
    David, I changed mine last year to a 100mm, It does not change the A/C. Also you have to check out the tire clearance. My Ardent 2.4 came within a mm of hitting, but had no problems running the IKONS's.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    David, I changed mine last year to a 100mm, It does not change the A/C.
    What Cannondale is doing, does. They use a different top air seal, which changes a to c. You can make any fork, and travel you like with the spacer clips, this is different.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    What Cannondale is doing, does. They use a different top air seal, which changes a to c. You can make any fork, and travel you like with the spacer clips, this is different.
    Correct, just wanted to make sure taking the one spacer out of the top will increase travel by 10mm but doing it this way does not change the AC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone know the weight difference between the forks (carbon and non-carbon) on the 2012 Scalpel 29ers: Lefty 29er Carbon XLR 100mm and Lefty 29er XLR 100mm? And, is there a noticeable difference in the performance, for a non-racer kinda rider? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a lefty DLR2 110 off a 2010 Scalpel, I want to use it on a 29er but the a to c is something like 47.5. In order to get closer to 510mm a to c do i have to buy a 140 and reduce the travel? Is the a to c as long as it will get on the current fork I have?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this topic was pretty close to my question so I could not see starting a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post
    I have a lefty DLR2 110 off a 2010 Scalpel, I want to use it on a 29er but the a to c is something like 47.5. In order to get closer to 510mm a to c do i have to buy a 140 and reduce the travel? Is the a to c as long as it will get on the current fork I have?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this topic was pretty close to my question so I could not see starting a new thread.
    A to C on that fork is 490.

If you want a taller a to c, yes, you'd need a longer fork.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    A to C on that fork is 490.

If you want a taller a to c, yes, you'd need a longer fork.
    Thanks for the quick reply. So the 29er fork listed above set at 90mm travel has a 500 a to c? Is there any way to get one that is 510 a to c?

I reread it and it looks like setting the XLR 90 to 100 will make it 500. Is there a way to get 510 a to c and still have adequate clearance? Otherwise it looks like I will go with the 90 set to 100 and sell what I currently have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The top air piston on the damper has a long throat on it, every bit up to 20 mm you cut off will result in concurrent A to C and travel increases.

Note that if you don't also change air volume commensurately, it will change how the fork feels. Not a bad thing really, the standard volume reduction for 29ers makes the forks feel too progressive for me personally. I run them travel reduced, with effectively, 26" wheel air volume.
    So I can buy a PBR Ultra 120 and convert it to 510mm a/c and 110mm travel for 29er wheel. Could I do it by myself? do I need to buy parts, apart from the travel reduction spacer?

mtbr member
    I am really curious about the lefty as there are so many advocates- I want to see what it is all about first hand.

If I were in the market for a 29 XC/racing fork what model should I start looking at? What are the features outside of weight between the different Leftys in the line up.

For reference I run a 100 reba.

Thank you for reading and sharing any thoughts in advance.

Okay, we need some clarification here.

Slim83, the 110 you're talking about, is 490 a to c. That is then reduced in travel for 29er wheels, to 80, by limiting (preventing travel) to 80. It cannot go taller than it's original a to c, due to the design of the damper. It simply is what it is.

Newer Solo Air dampers have an upper air seal with a throat on them, which can be cut, which will extend a to c, but this shouldn't be done willy nilly. The 100 mm, 26" Leftys are as tall as they can get, don't touch them. The structure isn't built for and won't accept any travel or a to c "enhancement".

The 120 mm Leftys for 26, CAN be lengthened due to them having the same damper and structure as a 140.

Bear in mind, a to c remains the same, 29 or 26. It's simply the travel reduction that makes them safe for 29.

Savo, in order to get 110 of travel, you'd need to set it to 520 a to c. No, not easily DIY'd, best handled by someone with the requisite tools and understanding.

No feeling in the world like trying to save a few bucks and DIY, only to cost yourself $200 in damaged bits....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hi guys! need some advice. i recently purchase a super v wif lefty set up. however i woukd like to use my 1 1/8 stem. wat are e changes i need to make? lefty 1 1/8 steerer tube? 1 1\8 adapter? pls advice as im very new to lefty fork. noob in cycling...
    thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks mendon,

I had to do some more searching last night and found the info you posted previously. My bearings must have migrated and it is at 47cm. I will fix that and probably give it a shot with the spacers and air volume reducer before I sell it. If I like it I will probably sell it and get the longer a to c.

One final question, any preference between the DLR2, PBR, and the XLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Quietstorm141 View Post
    I recently purchase a super v with a lefty set up. However I would like to use my 1 1/8 stem.
    Ain't happening, you need a Lefty/Headshock stem from Cannondale. They're all over the place, just pay attention to bar clamp as you will see both 25.4 as well as 31.8.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post
    One final question, any preference between the DLR2, PBR, and the XLR?
    Me? I have no opinions.

DLR2's are cheap and plentiful. They are also upgradable to the 2012 dampers, losing 10mm in the process, but that's another topic for another day.

PBR's are newer, thus generally more costly. They also feature the newer OPI lower which, while lighter, is also less stiff. Add the carbon shell to it, and lose a touch more stiffness. The alloy DLR2's are the stiffer set up of choice.

XLR? Meh, tech weenie stuff. I prefer to not bolt more weight onto my bike, and spend $150 to do it in the process.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ain't happening, you need a Lefty/Headshock stem from Cannondale. They're all over the place, just pay attention to bar clamp as you will see both 25.4 as well as 31.8.
    ok thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    another off topic qns,

im interested to build up a F1000 or F700 wif a moto FR fork. can i say i need a headset reducer cap and a normal headset will do? any brands or model to recommend?

thanks very much!

I'm interested to build up a F1000 or F700 with a Moto FR fork. can I say I need a headset reducer cap and a normal headset will do? Any brands or model to recommend?
    If you don't already own it, don't bother. If you already own it, protect your boots with your life.

They rely on unique races that are no longer available (I have one in the shop right now, dead, hence my current knowledge) so an water or dirt will kill the fork.

In good shape, and want to move forward, yes, FSA makes a short press fit 1.5 to 1 1/8" conversion headset.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    but i still need e headset reducer?

but i still need e headset reducer?
    ^ " yes, FSA makes a short press fit 1.5 to 1 1/8" conversion headset." ^

Or am I missing something?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey Mendon

Have a quick question. Have a Lefty carbon 29er XLR 2011. And when locked out, it sort of make a klonk sound every time I hit objects. When not locked, it performs ok. (only ok - because it probably needs a service too)

Will a mere service fix the problem, or is there something else I need to do/check?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitized View Post
    Hey Mendon

Have a quick question. Have a Lefty carbon 29er XLR 2011. And when locked out, it sort of make a klonk sound every time I hit objects. When not locked, it performs ok. (only ok - because it probably needs a service too)

Will a mere service fix the problem, or is there something else I need to do/check?

Thanks
    Yeah, it should be fine. Likely a little bit of air in there.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So here I am with another question:
    my lefty is 515mm a/c. As the structure can extend a full inch more then what it do (I see it taking the top cap off and removing the two split rings, as for a bearing reset), would it be possible to gain some 1 or 2 cm of a/c length, with or without increasing the travel of the same amount? I guess no, but just ask.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a Lefty Speed Carbon 110. If I get the stopper inserted to 90mm travel would this go onto a Scalpel 29er?

N2B
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can a 2013 hybrid 29er alloy 90mm be changed to 100mm ?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast