mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings

I am building up a 2011 Scalpel frame right now with Hollowgram SL cranks and XX 42-28T chainrings. I have a 132mm spindle, 2mm bearing shields, and the spider for XX rings (Part No. KP128). I'm concerned with how close the chainrings are to the chainstay...clearance is only about 1mm. None of the local bike shops have a Scalpel Ultimate on the floor for me to compare. If I add any more shims to increase the clearance, the wave washer ends up being flattened. If anybody out there has a Scalpel Ultimate, could you tell me how the clearance is on complete bikes shipped from the factory? How close are your large and small chainrings to the chainstay? It would also be very helpful if you could detail the spacers between your frame and the spider. Did it ship with a large spacer and some shims? If so, how many shims (not including the wave washer)? Did it ship with shims only (i.e., not with a large spacer), and if so, how many shims are there (not including the wave washer). Any feedback you'd be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just wanted to bump this.

Can anybody offer help? Anybody work at a shop that might have one on the floor to look at?

Trauma-md - I sent you a PM since I see you have a Scalpel Ultimate. I'd really appreciate any help.

mtbr member
    You should definitely have more than 1mm of clearance, as frame/crank deflection will be more than that. One big push on the pedals could drive the chain ring right through the stay. Give Cannondale a call, they have great tech guys who should be able to give you advice on this specific setup. Can you post some pictures of how it sits now?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    very close but it's the usual clearance

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here are some pics of what things look like now. About 1mm of clearance for the large chainring and less than 1mm of clearance for the small chainring.

Eliflap - does this look like the usual clearance you speak of?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings-img_20110202_080600-2-.jpg  

2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings-img_20110202_080600.jpg  

2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings-img_20110202_080704.jpg  

2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings-img_20110202_080811.jpg  

mtbr member
    39/27 will solve all your problems. 42 is just too big for that configuration (on that frame).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StorrsCenterCycle
    39/27 will solve all your problems. 42 is just too big for that configuration (on that frame).
    Cannondale specs 42-28T XX chainrings on the Scalpel Ultimate...so one would think this setup should work on the new frame.

mtbr member
    just throwing this out there as i dont know for sure... but are there different spindles for 68mm and 73mm bb shells? if there are, could it be that you have a 68 and its a little short?

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Make sure the non-drive side bearing, bearing shield, and spindle flange are fully seated.

Make sure the spider is bottomed out on the crank arm and tightened to torque spec.

Put all your .5 spacer on the drive side, run nothing on the non-driveside, and don't worry f your crush washer looks fully crushed, if the crank is torqued to spec and spins smoothly go ride it an hour and then maybe you'll be able to add another .5 spacer on the drive-side.

And Eliflap is right it can be very close and not be problematic, it's not going through the chainstay.
    Cannondale
    Spot Highline
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just a thought, I have a 2011 large Scalpel with a 42/28 and 36-11 on the rear, when in 28 -11 the chain almost touches the curve in the chainstay. If i fit a chainstay protector it does touch. Has anyone else used a 27 on the front and can they confirm that 27-11 does not rub the chainstays even without the protector?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by LLOYDSTEVENS
    Just a thought, I have a 2011 large Scalpel with a 42/28 and 36-11 on the rear, when in 28 -11 the chain almost touches the curve in the chainstay. If i fit a chainstay protector it does touch. Has anyone else used a 27 on the front and can they confirm that 27-11 does not rub the chainstays even without the protector?
    Why pedaling in the 28/11 gear combo? You don't have a bigger ring? Use it, it's better for the chain, for the rings, for the cassette...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 02-03-2011 at 07:44 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    Make sure the non-drive side bearing, bearing shield, and spindle flange are fully seated.

Make sure the spider is bottomed out on the crank arm and tightened to torque spec.

Put all your .5 spacer on the drive side, run nothing on the non-driveside, and don't worry f your crush washer looks fully crushed, if the crank is torqued to spec and spins smoothly go ride it an hour and then maybe you'll be able to add another .5 spacer on the drive-side.

And Eliflap is right it can be very close and not be problematic, it's not going through the chainstay.
    Bearing, bearing shield, and spindle flange all fully seated. Spider bottomed out and tightened to spec.

So you thinking riding it some might break things in a bit and allow me more room another spacer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Dan Gerous

Surely with the double chainrings it gives you better chain line to be able to use all 20 gears so why not use them? Isn't one of the points of using 20 gears the fact you can use all 20??

I agree 42-17 would be pretty close to 28-11 but if you are riding up a climb and you know it gets harder further up the trail it makes sense not to be changing between rings on the front as this would put a lot of stress the chain.

On the old set up 3 x 9 I would not dream of using small-small or big-big, but with 20 gears i say if they are there use them!!

LA CHÈVRE
    Most 2x9 / 2x10 setups have always been designed to let you stay pretty much on the big ring and use all the cassette with it, only use the small ring for the steeper/longer climbs so you'd use the small ring with the top half of the cassette. A good double setup has a slightly narrower chainline just for that, so the big ring is usable with the whole cassette, but that makes the small ring even less likely to work well with the smallest cogs. It's not a problem, it's a normal behaviour IMO.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pvb1ker
    Bearing, bearing shield, and spindle flange all fully seated. Spider bottomed out and tightened to spec.

So you thinking riding it some might break things in a bit and allow me more room another spacer?
    Yep it probably will loosen up a tiny bit. Also Eliflap really is right about close being okay. I would double check two things; that the BB tube internal bearing seat on the non-drive side has no dirt or debris between it and the bearing and also that the spider is cleanly seated on the crankarm. On my 2011 Flash 29'er I noticed a little wobble on the chainring and removed the spider to clean out the threads and got it to seat a little more evenly when torqued back up.
    Cannondale
    Spot Highline
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So on a 20 speed set up you only recommend using 15 gears? Surely can't be what the guys at Sram had in mind when the designed the original XX. I think we should agree to disagree on this one Dan Gerous.

I was just thinking that if my 28-11 rubs then how far up the casette would you get rub if you had a 27 on the front? StorrsCentreCycles may be solving one clearance problem by recomending a 29-27 but also causing another at the back at the same time.

Even in 42-11 the chain runs pretty close to the stays compared to 2010 see pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings-2010.jpg  

2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings-2011.jpg  

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The actual "gear" or gear/inch ratio you're going to get in 28/11 is available on the big ring somewhere, though I'm not going to do the math for you. SRAM doesn't want you to ride your bike in 28/11, I promise, even if it can be done without instantly wrapping the chain.
    Cannondale
    Spot Highline
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm fine with disagreeing.

On my Scalpel, I can use the 29 ring with pretty much all but the smallest or the two smallest cogs, which I only tried while setting up the transmission in my bike stand, I never used those in the real world.

Also, SRAM tested the 2x10 setup mostly under World Cup XC racers, these guys typically stay on their big ring most of the time, sometimes not even using the smaller ring. That's what they asked for: having the whole cassette working perfectly while in the big ring, they downshift on the front only when it's very steep. I'm sure they did test under different circumstances but small-small combos suck, always have. It twists the chain a lot, creates what you're seeing but it also makes the rear derailleur put the least amount of tension it possibly can, so the chain gets thrown around a lot more, is not as tight around the gears... I think you're creating more, bigger problems by wanting to stick with bad gear combos than the minimal problem you are trying to avoid by doing so... Is that a sentence?

And comparing the 2010 to the 2011 pictures, remember the 2010 has a bigger big ring but also that both are probably photoshopped bikes made from different pictures as they typically need those images before they even start to manufacture them, I wouldn't use them as precise reference of where exactly the chain is and such things.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvb1ker

Eliflap - does this look like the usual clearance you speak of?
    it's usual since 2010 model .

here my Flash Ultimate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scalpel w/ Hollowgram Cranks and XX Chainrings-hpim1506.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for sharing the photo, Eliflap. Now I don't feel like there is anything unusual with my setup after seeing how tight your clearance is on the Flash. I like how Cannondale put a larger chainstay guard on the Flash, as shown in your photo. I wish they would have done that on the Scalpel, but perhaps that isn't possible due to the flex/pivot in the chainstays.