Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

2011 Scalpel Ultimate (I'm done with Cannondale)

Done battling with Cannondale, their customer service sucks here in Canada. I took my 2008 Team Scalpel in for the recall last september (2010), had to pay extra to get the Ultimate 2011 frame and it has sat at my LBS since with most of the parts transferred over (not as easily as they said either). Cannondale is refusing to inform my LBS which front derailleur I need. They have tried several SRAM S3 derailleurs with no luck. Guess my only option at this point is to part it out.

mtbr member
    I've heard from a LBS that they are no longer stocking Cannondale bikes because the customer service sucks. They still special order the bikes but they've said that Cannondale is a PITA for warranty and even ordering bikes. Pretty sad considering that the bikes themselves are very good. A great product doesn't mean squat unless you support it properly.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by divingtigger View Post
    They have tried several SRAM S3 derailleurs with no luck. .
    While there is no excuse for not supplying this information to the bike store, have they thought of asking Sram? Maybe the S3 needs a spacer. Looking around the forum it looks like others have gotten these to work.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    What part of Canada are you in?? in case you decide to part that sucker out...

mtbr member
    They have tried several SRAM S3 derailleurs with no luck. .
    which ones have they tried and whats the problem with the derailleurs theyve been trying?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I took my 2008 Team Scalpel in for the recall last september (2010), had to pay extra to get the Ultimate 2011 frame and it has sat at my LBS since with most of the parts transferred over (not as easily as they said either). Cannondale is refusing to inform my LBS which front derailleur I need. They have tried several SRAM S3 derailleurs with no luck. Guess my only option at this point is to part it out.
    I went through this and had to pay labor for transferring all the components to the new frame + some BS administrative fees.

Why did you have to pay extra for the Ultimate Frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is it really that difficult? What is the problem? I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here but for a bolt on part there shouldn't be any problems. Does the picture help?

Direct Mount Front Derailleurs Make For A Lighter Seat Tube Than If A Clamp Was Required. Photos | Cyclingnews.com

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sounds like a problem with the LBS, not Cannondale. I never been to a bike shop in Canada but here in the USofA you gotta watch 'em!
    Cannondale
    Spot Highline
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    While there is no excuse for not supplying this information to the bike store, have they thought of asking Sram? Maybe the S3 needs a spacer. Looking around the forum it looks like others have gotten these to work.
    They have tried with Sram and so have I with no luck, it seems like Cannondale wants to keep it a closely guarded secret

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini6 View Post
    What part of Canada are you in?? in case you decide to part that sucker out...
    I'm in Manitoba and it is being parted out now, I've had too much money invested in this bike to not be able to use it

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    which ones have they tried and whats the problem with the derailleurs theyve been trying?
    They've tried the X0 the XX and the X9 in different configurations

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23 View Post
    I went through this and had to pay labor for transferring all the components to the new frame + some BS administrative fees.

Why did you have to pay extra for the Ultimate Frame
    They only wanted to give me a 2011 Scalpel 3 as that is what they thought the equivalent to the 2008 Scalpel team was.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post
    Is it really that difficult? What is the problem? I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here but for a bolt on part there shouldn't be any problems. Does the picture help?

Direct Mount Front Derailleurs Make For A Lighter Seat Tube Than If A Clamp Was Required. Photos | Cyclingnews.com
    it goes on ok without the crank in place, but won't line up with the crank at all (hits the crank or can't be adjusted to shift at all)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1 View Post
    Sounds like a problem with the LBS, not Cannondale. I never been to a bike shop in Canada but here in the USofA you gotta watch 'em!
    Ya I've gone through alot of BS with the LBS and Cannondale over this one, been constantly fighting with both the LBS and the Cannondale Rep for Canada. I'm cutting all ties with both and won't be doing business with either one again, They are pointing fingers back and forth and no one wants to take the blame. Real shame too, I really like the way the 2012's look

26er
    it goes on ok without the crank in place, but won't line up with the crank at all (hits the crank or can't be adjusted to shift at all)
    This seems like bike shop error not a Cannondale issue. There are a lot of shop mechanics out there who don't have a clue. Find a shop who actually knows what they are doing instead of losing money on parting the bike out.

Why not just go with 1 chain ring in the front until you find a good shop. Manitoba is a flat place.
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    what crank are you using?

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    and do you know if your shop knows what a Direct Mount S3 SRAM 2X10 deraileur is???
    Cannondale
    Spot Highline
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    This is kinda silly. I purchased a 2011 scalpel frame only and googled which front der I needed. Purchased that front der screwed it on, mounted cranks and everything worked fine. Sounds like if the bike shop was getting ran around by cdale, they could have found the answer in less than 5 minutes. Unless, of course, there is no Internet on that part of Canada. You do know that with direct mount derailluers, they are chain ring specific...

Tooth count matters!!

mtbr member
    Ya I've gone through alot of BS with the LBS and Cannondale over this one, been constantly fighting with both the LBS and the Cannondale Rep for Canada. I'm cutting all ties with both and won't be doing business with either one again, They are pointing fingers back and forth and no one wants to take the blame. Real shame too, I really like the way the 2012's look
    \

I think this says what is really going on here. The root of the problem is your LBS. The Cannondale rep has not loyalty to you, but does to the shop. He doesn't want to say that your LBS doesn't know what they are doing, in fact he has a vested interest in not saying this. Personally, I think your throwing the wrong company under the bus, but if that is what makes you happy then that is great...vent all you want

Cutting ties with that LBS sounds like a good idea, cutting ties with Cannondale, if that makes you happy. Not sure if there is another Cannondale dealer in your town so this may make some sense if not. Hopefully you can find a bike that makes you happy, there are plenty of them to choose from.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

26er
    Yeah this is easy. Check out the picture, the bike shop takes all the blame here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scalpel Ultimate (I'm done with Cannondale)-untitled.jpg  

Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    S3 bottom pull direct mount x0 on my 2011 scalpel. No issues. Running an xx crank. Pretty straight forward.
    What crank are you using?

mtbr member
    They only wanted to give me a 2011 Scalpel 3 as that is what they thought the equivalent to the 2008 Scalpel team was.
    So you payed extra just for the color? The frames are exactly the same other than that.

Just Ride
    Have you been dealing with cannondale directly, over the phone, online, etc...or just through your LBS?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.R View Post
    So you payed extra just for the color? The frames are exactly the same other than that.
    exactly. sounds as though your LBS is taking you for a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    USA here I had great customer service with Cannondale to the extent that they gave me a whole new 2011 bike just because I took pictures and said their "smooth welds" were not smooth enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast