mtbr member

2011 Jekyll + Fox36 1.1/8" or tapared

Is the possible?

I've heard they are designed to run 1.5 integrated headsets, are there headsets on the market which would fit 1 1/8 steer tube (or a tapered one) in this frame?

Thinking of buying a frame separately, so finding a 1.5 Fox 32 wouldn't be possible (and not so fond of 32's chassis - would 1.5 improve the stiffness radically - doubt that!).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIgor View Post
    Is the possible?

I've heard they are designed to run 1.5 integrated headsets, are there headsets on the market which would fit 1 1/8 steer tube (or a tapered one) in this frame?

Thinking of buying a frame separately, so finding a 1.5 Fox 32 wouldn't be possible (and not so fond of 32's chassis - would 1.5 improve the stiffness radically - doubt that!).
    Yeah, you can run a tapered 36 on the Jeykll. Mark Weir and a few other pros have 36's up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    Yeah, you can run a tapered 36 on the Jeykll. Mark Weir and a few other pros have 36's up front.
    hm... wonder what upper headsets they are using, its a integrated 1.5" - pretty rare one

mtbr member
    Without ever comparing a 1.5" with a 1 1/8 directly myself, i can't say for sure if you would notice the extra stiffness, but i have read in various places that their is a detectable stiffness advantage using a 1.5" steerer ( especially when using 150mm forks).

This Review talks about the stiffer feel of the 1.5",

Cannondale Jekyll 3 Review - BikeRadar

It is possible to find some 1.5"' 32's on the market, i saw these for sale the other day.

Fox Suspension Forks - Merlin Cycles

This is the reducer headset you need to run a 1 1/8 steer if you take that route ( KP058)

Headset reduction to 1 1 / 8 " - Dr. Cannondale

To run a tapered fork, i guess you could mix the top bearing of a KP058 headset with 1.5" bottom bearing of the KP119 headset.

Headset 1.5 - Dr. Cannondale

PM me your email address and i will send you a PDF file i have of all Jekyll 2011 frame parts, that's where i have taken the Cannondale parts codes from.

I'm about to through a similar situation as you, building a Jekyll frame set up from scratch, as i have been told im getting a carbon Jekyll frame to replace my cracked carbon Rize under warranty, so i have been working over what parts will and will not be transferable over from my RIze in the last few days.

Edit;

If you are in North America, this site might be more useful for what you need, as Dr.Cannondale is based in Germany.

Cannondale Experts - CannondaleExperts.com
    Last edited by chick0; 09-05-2011 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I've also just received a Jekyll frame as a warranty replacement. Can you let me know what headset you opted for in the end? I'm looking at the FSA Orbit DL 1.5R but wondered what else might work.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm running a tapered fork (Rock Shox Revelation World Cup) and using what chick0 mentioned: the bottom of the KP119 and the top of the KP058.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Excellent thanks. qwertycycles.co.uk have suggested something similar too. My RLT's have a 1.5" seal / race already on them - I'm assuming the KP119 is just a seal / race and bearing? If so I'll prob just buy a bearing for the lower and buy a KP058 for the upper.
    Cheers