mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2011 Jekyll Carbon Frame Weight vs. Alloy Frame Weight

I know there's some article out there that says the supposed weight diff between the carbon and alloy Jekyll frames but I can't seem to find it again. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Most articles say of the carbon frame "...with a claimed weight of 2.62kg (5.78lb) including the chunky rear shock, which weighs 560g on its own and makes the frame-only weight all that more impressive."

Bicycling.com says "...frame that weighs only 2060 grams with shock - that's impressive when you take into account the shock's 560-gram heft." I believe that is a typo, and they meant 2600 (close to the 2.62kg everyone else is quoting).

Of the Aluminum frame Bicycling says "The aluminum version of the Jekyll should still be pretty light since its frame is claimed to be only 150-200 grams heavier than the carbon frames. Its link is aluminum too and only eight grams heavier than its carbon counterpart thanks to a hollow welded clamshell design."

For reference the Scott Genius is 4.96lbs with shock, which is 2.25kg or 2250g.

http://www.bicycling.com/mountainbik...&quicktabs_3=0

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    In last issue of german Bike magazin they tested the new Jekyill carbon 1 and they measure:

frame (large) without shock: 2250g
    shock: 708g

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tondar
    In last issue of German Bike magazine they tested the new Jekyll carbon 1 and they measure:

frame (large) without shock: 2250g
    shock: 708g
    Wow so their scale says Cannondale is off by 148g on the shock (a 26.4% error) and 338g (12.9% error) for the frame and shock. Even if Cannondale is quoting the medium frame I am not sure a large would be 12% heavier, and the shock is the same for all of them. I also know bike manufacturers can lie about their numbers, but Cannondale has not be one of those in my experience. I wonder if they removed the headset to weigh the frame.

My Jekyll 2 comes tomorrow, and I am stripping most of the parts to build it up lighter. This makes me want to weigh the frame & shock just for giggles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
    I wonder if they removed the headset to weigh the frame.
    Well that I don't know, it's not mentioned in the article.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, those higher quoted weights are surprising since Cannondale has always been a proponent of being fairly honest. I guess their new ownership might play a part, but they also may have weighed the frame without any hardware but that would be pretty strange if they included the shock weight. I supposed they could have weight the frame minus hardware, headset, etc and just added it to the bare weight of the shock. Eh, who knows.

My Jekyll 2 comes tomorrow, and I am stripping most of the parts to build it up lighter. This makes me want to weigh the frame & shock just for giggles.
    Did you get a medium frame? I've been eyeing the Jekyll 2 for some time. Seems like a very good spec for a fairly reasonable price. Anyway, if you do end up stripping it down it would be so awesome if you weigh it. Even bathroom scale weight is better than nothing. I hate relying on all these magazines and manufacturer weights. At any rate, I'd appreciate it greatly if you weighed yours (provided that you are willing to strip it down and not just go ride it).
    Thanks for all the responses by the way!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's hard to imagine the carbon being all that much lighter on a Jekyll. I researched the difference on a 2011 Flash 29'er and it was about 135 grams on a Medium frame. I'd go for the aluminum and not look back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Check out my thread on my Jekyll 2. I did not strip it down but am weighing it as I go.