mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New question here. 2011 Jekyll Carbon 1 Question - Sizing / Performance

I have an opportunity to get a new 2011 Jekyll Carbon 1 for a real good price, but it is a Large sized frame. I usually ride a Medium, but can fit on Large frames when needed. I have no experience with the Jekyll model, and wondered if anyone knew how much of a difference there is between Large and Medium frames? I only have the large frame to compare it to, and no bike shops within a wide radius have the Jekyll (any version) in stock. The bike is new and it is a great buy, but if I am going to regret getting it because it is too big, it is not really a good deal at all.............It still is a pile of money!! Very hard to tell just standing over it, or riding it in a parking lot. I can compare it to a Meduim Sized RZ-120 2, but they are totally different bikes...........Is the Jekyll Carbon 1 really that much better than the Aluminum versions??

Thanks!!

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    I have an opportunity to get a new 2011 Jekyll Carbon 1 for a real good price, but it is a Large sized frame. I usually ride a Medium, but can fit on Large frames when needed. I have no experience with the Jekyll model, and wondered if anyone knew how much of a difference there is between Large and Medium frames? I only have the large frame to compare it to, and no bike shops within a wide radius have the Jekyll (any version) in stock. The bike is new and it is a great buy, but if I am going to regret getting it because it is too big, it is not really a good deal at all.............It still is a pile of money!! Very hard to tell just standing over it, or riding it in a parking lot. I can compare it to a Meduim Sized RZ-120 2, but they are totally different bikes...........Is the Jekyll Carbon 1 really that much better than the Aluminum versions??

Thanks!!
    It is hard to make an assessment without knowing your dimensions. I am 5'11" with 31" inseam and this bike fits me well. The component spec is much different on the 1 compared to the aluminum models so you are basically paying for lighter bike with better components.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Thanks.............

..............For the reply!

I am similar in size 5' 10", with a 30+" inseam, so the bike may actually work for me. I assume you meant the Large fits you well, not the Medium?

The reason that I like the Jekyll Carbon when I saw it was the weight compared to some shorter travel Aluminum models............Looks like a sweet ride, just was not sure about the size.

26er
    ..............For the reply!

I am similar in size 5' 10", with a 30+" inseam, so the bike may actually work for me. I assume you meant the Large fits you well, not the Medium?

The reason that I like the Jekyll Carbon when I saw it was the weight compared to some shorter travel Aluminum models............Looks like a sweet ride, just was not sure about the size.
    I do ride the large so I think it will fit you well also. I had them put on a shorter stem when I bought mine.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Shorter Stem?................

Did you use the same stem that comes on the bike? I can't find the specs for the stem on the Cannondale website. Not sure what stem they use on the Jekyll Carbon I...............Is it specific to Cannondale, or is it a common size that can be purchased elsewhere? What length stem did the Large Jekyll come with? Thanks!

26er
    Did you use the same stem that comes on the bike? I can't find the specs for the stem on the Cannondale website. Not sure what stem they use on the Jekyll Carbon I...............Is it specific to Cannondale, or is it a common size that can be purchased elsewhere? What length stem did the Large Jekyll come with? Thanks!
    The stem is a standard 1.5 so you can buy it anywhere. I can't remember what the stock stem was, but I think I am running a 70 now.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Sounds Good..............

............Thanks for all your information!

I will have to get to the dealer so I can look closer at the components. Unfortunately, the dealer is about 3 hours away, so it is not easy!

mtbr member

Large or Medium?

............Thanks for all your information!

I will have to get to the dealer so I can look closer at the components. Unfortunately, the dealer is about 3 hours away, so it is not easy!
    I am 6'2 and own an alloy jekyll XL. Although the height feels good the actual frame size can feel a little on the small side, so I think theres a good chance you'd get away with a large.
    Last edited by POOPIPE; 10-08-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Remember.. 100 grams of carbon weighs the same as 100 grams of alloy..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I have Large Jekyll Ultimate that fits perfectly. I think you'll be very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

... and if we just ... Thanks for the replies.............

Both of you are correct............I finally had a chance to test ride the 2011 Jekyll Carbon 1 at the dealer. After trying the large out, I think a medium would actually feel a little small. The bike did not really have a set-up done, so I could not really feel the 90/150mm shock and front fork lock out. All the ever did was put air in the tires, and put it on the bike rack. The guy that runs the place is not real up to speed on mountain bike technology. What is the deal with the adjustable seat post? The bike shop did not know, and the cable needed adjusting, so it was not working correctly. Does this give you a climb and descend height, or work as some sort of suspension?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Good job! Getting Up To Speed On The New Technology!!!!

What is the deal with the adjustable seat post? The bike shop did not know, and the cable needed adjusting, so it was not working correctly. Does this give you a climb and descend height, or work as some sort of suspension?
    I did some research and got this pretty well figured out............Been out of the Mountain Bikes for a while, guess it shows!

I was surprised the bike shop could not tell me how the Reverb Seat Posts work, and what they are for? Apparently, it must have been out of adjustment, because it did not seem to be functioning...............

26er
    I did some research and got this pretty well figured out............Been out of the Mountain Bikes for a while, guess it shows!

I was surprised the bike shop could not tell me how the Reverb Seat Posts work, and what they are for? Apparently, it must have been out of adjustment, because it did not seem to be functioning...............
    Did the shop bleed the seat post before they installed it? Check the forums for more info on the reverb.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am 5'10" and my Med fits like a large in my opinion, it feels about .5 to 1in longer then what I like for the fit on a bike but its all dependent on riding style and your body size.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for sharing this info!