mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2011 jekyll 3x10 to 2x10 conversion, rear derailleur question

So, I finally got around to doing a few upgrades to my Jekyll I received back in february. I kept having the chain drop and the shifting just wasn't smooth. So, I thought I would change it to 2x10. I have a hammerschidt on my moto 3, which I love. Also, after many years of clipless pedals, I finally have given up. Just too many injuries and i'm getting to old for it, i think lol. The platform pedals have been great. The straitlines and point one racing podiums on my other bike, have been much better. I'm never going back to clipless again. Now, I just need to sell all my clipless shoes lol.

Anyway, on to the question. I still have my X7 front derailleur and shifters, and I have that dialed in perfect. My only concern is that maybe I should switch the rear derailleur to a shorter cage, maybe medium. Right now it's a X9 long cage. I'm getting a bit more chain slap then I expected. Is a medium cage more ideal for a 2x10 setup?

The shifting is so smooth. And, the MRP 2X was worth every penny, wished I got that sooner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 jekyll 3x10 to 2x10 conversion, rear derailleur question-photo33.jpg  

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by hanklr View Post
    So, I finally got around to doing a few upgrades to my Jekyll I received back in february. I kept having the chain drop and the shifting just wasn't smooth. So, I thought I would change it to 2x10. I have a hammerschidt on my moto 3, which I love. Also, after many years of clipless pedals, I finally have given up. Just too many injuries and i'm getting to old for it, i think lol. The platform pedals have been great. The straitlines and point one racing podiums on my other bike, have been much better. I'm never going back to clipless again. Now, I just need to sell all my clipless shoes lol.

Anyway, on to the question. I still have my X7 front derailleur and shifters, and I have that dialed in perfect. My only concern is that maybe I should switch the rear derailleur to a shorter cage, maybe medium. Right now it's a X9 long cage. I'm getting a bit more chain slap then I expected. Is a medium cage more ideal for a 2x10 setup?

The shifting is so smooth. And, the MRP 2X was worth every penny, wished I got that sooner.
    Do you have a 36 in the back? I think the 36 requires the long cage so you would not be able to swap to a medium cage.

Have you considered shortening the chain to reduce some chain slap it may be too long in the first place.
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
    Do you have a 36 in the back? I think the 36 requires the long cage so you would not be able to swap to a medium cage.

Have you considered shortening the chain to reduce some chain slap it may be too long in the first place.
    yes, it is 36, but you can still use a medium cage with this. and, i've already made the chain a little shorter.

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by hanklr View Post
    yes, it is 36, but you can still use a medium cage with this. and, i've already made the chain a little shorter.
    I should have said the a 3X10 requires the long cage but when you go to a 2X10 then SRAM recommends using a medium cage and should result in less chain slap. Maybe you should just upgrade to XO.

My bike is full shimano and i converted it to a 2X10 from a 3X10. Chain slap does not appear to be a problem this makes me wonder the difference in the springs between the shimano and sram.
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
    I should have said the a 3X10 requires the long cage but when you go to a 2X10 then SRAM recommends using a medium cage and should result in less chain slap. Maybe you should just upgrade to XO.

My bike is full shimano and i converted it to a 2X10 from a 3X10. Chain slap does not appear to be a problem this makes me wonder the difference in the springs between the shimano and sram.
    I really don't think it has anything to do with shimano vs sram. But, more to do with having all the right combined parts. In my case, I only have the crankset in the xo group. And, if I wasn't such a cheap f@@@, I would have all the other x0 parts. The rear derailleur and shifters are just so expensive. Funny, I put off upgrading cause I have the kind of luck, where I know I'm going to run into issues that cause me to have to spend more money. Upgrading always seems like a good idea in the beginning lol. Although, with just two things in the drivetrain upgraded, it already shifts better.