mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2011 Cannondale Flash C3 Tubeless?

After getting back into MTB after a 10 year break, I picked up a Carbon Flash 3 29er yesterday. It feel like a rocket ship !!! It does everything better then my old bike. (90's Diamondback Team Issue). But after getting a pinch flat yesterday, I am ready to go tubeless.

I understand the concept and procedure, but I have a few questions. Can I uses my existing Schwalbe Racing Raphl tires? When I pulled the tube yesterday, the rims strip was a blue color and was marked "High Pressure. 100psi). It looked like it was all ready to go. Will I have to add the Stan's tape?

I have read several tubeless threads, but I couldn't find my exact combo.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi SByota,

I have 2 cannondales with the following setups.
    2005 F800SL with 2011 Fulcrum Red Metal 1 XL wheels (UST ready) with Racing Ralph UST tires.
    2011 RZ 120 1 with Mavic 317 disc rims (not tubeless ready) and now Nobby Nic UST tires and a Notubes conversion kit.

Note that Schwalbe makes a lot of different Racing Ralph tires, evolution line or performance line to indicate the quality (level of grip) and TL ready or UST to indicate tubeless compatibility. UST tires have a stiffer sidewall than the TL ready tires.

I converted the RZ wheels to tubeless today with the NoTubes conversion kit. It was my first time converting a wheelset. It was a bit fiddly. Mounting UST tires is tough, they don't go on as easily as non-UST tires, I had to use metal tire levers because I broke a plastic Pedros one. Partly, because of my stupidity .

I first did the rear wheel, left the existing spoke tape in, enlarged the valve hole to 9,5 mm, put the rim strip in (it was a tight fit) tested if it would inflate, it did inflate . So, took the tire off partly to add the sealant, and then did the shaking-thing. There were absolutely no bubles, so job done. Next, the front wheel, I took the spoke tape out and replaced it by a layer of Stan's yellow tape, it was a lot thinner than the stock blue spoke tape, which made the installation of the rim strip a lot easier. Inflated the tire, no airleakes even without the sealant, but I put some sealant in just in case..

Problem that I now still have is that the tires are not on straight. It easy to get them straight on a UST rim, just overinflate them and they pop into place, then deflate to the desired pressure. But for the non-UST rim, this trick did not work. So, now I'm left with some tire-wobble that I have to work on

My advice to you: I see in the Euro spec list that the Carbon Flash 3 29er comes with Tubeless ready tires. So, just get a Notubes 29er tubeless conversion kit, replace the blue spoke tape with 1 layer of Stans yellow spoke tape and convert them following Stans video and instructions. Job done.

Sorry I'm Euro, so I don't know whether the US Carbon Flash 3 29er is different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am in the same situation - just bought the same bike and about to fit a Stan's 29er tubeless kit. Will let you know how it goes!

One thing I would say is the bike came with VERY thin inner tubes, mine weighed 120g!! each (standard would be around 200..) I'm not surprised they punctured!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any luck Jim. According to the Stan's website, we need the standard 29er rim strips. Did you leave the factory blue rim tape or just add the stans on top of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SByota View Post
    Any luck Jim. According to the Stan's website, we need the standard 29er rim strips. Did you leave the factory blue rim tape or just add the stans on top of it.
    Sorry, Sbyota, havn't got to it yet, still have a little work left building the wheels before I get to the Stans part..... Would have got to it tonight but it was a beautiful, dry, fast evening here (SE UK) so went out on the trails instead

I bought the 29er kit though and watched the walk-through guide - it looked like he reconned you should just leave the fitted blue rim tape on (under the Stans strip). I must admit I didn't really understand why this was but I'm pretty sure that's what he said to do....

It's this one: Movies - Puncture Demo

Let me know if you get to it first!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Installed the Stans standard 29er kit tonight. I put two layers of the yellow tape over my stock blue rim tape. The Racing Ralphs are labeled tubless ready on the sidewall so I went for it. Kit went on pretty easy.

Used LOTS of soapy water to get the beads seated the first time. All went well. After I added the sealant, I aired them up again and found TONS of leaks. I even found a pretty good puncture in my rear tire. I spent a good 45 min doing the tire shake thing to get the beads sealed. I think I got it, but I will know tomorrow morning when I check the pressures.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Finished my first ride on my new tubless set-up today. Tires are sealed up good and the difference is amazing. If your thinking about going tubless...DO IT!!! Tires grip better, soak up bumps better and I don't have to worry about pinch flats anymore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good job, and your maintenance/repair skills are now +1, so keep it up.

I also fiddled a little bit with my tubeless setup today. I took the Stans black rim strip out. So now I only have the Mavic 317 disc, and 1 layer of yellow spoke tape left, (and a fulcrum UST valve). Couldn't get it to inflate with a floorpump, so I walked down to the petrol station and spent about 15 minutes shaking and inflating there to the amusement of people filling up their cars In the end the leaks (mainly around the valve stem) sealed, and all is well. I now have less tire wobble since the UST tire beads seat better without the rim strip.

Less weight + no tire wobble = successful day