YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2011.5 Scalpel 29'er

I know Cannondale just showed a bunch of great new bikes at Park City, but am I really going to have to wait 18 months for a 29'er version of the Scalpel? I mean they brought the regular Flash and the 29'er Flash out at the same time, why can't they do the same with the full suspension versions?
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I know Cannondale just showed a bunch of great new bikes at Park City, but am I really going to have to wait 18 months for a 29'er version of the Scalpel? I mean they brought the regular Flash and the 29'er Flash out at the same time, why can't they do the same with the full suspension versions?
    I'd love to see it too. I've been eyeing the Spez S-Works Epic 29er, but with my recent baptisim in the Lefty Religion, I'd go with a 29er Carbon Scalpel in a heart beat.

I would say the delay is probably getting the mold dialed in and making sure its ready for prime time... There's a lot that goes into manufacturing a carbon frame and it takes time to develop.

I just hope they take a page from Spez and go with a 142mm rear spacing with 12mm thru axel. 29er full suspension bikes do have issues with rear wheel flex and might as well make them as stout as possible.

Also keep your eyes on Tomac. Word up is a 29er version of the Carbide SL in a year or so... Now that would be sweet.....

Especially with a Lefty!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    I bet they're available within the year...

Yeti was doing the 142mm thing for XC about before Specialized. Anyways, it is a good idea, stiffer with almost no weight penalty.
    Last edited by brentos; 07-06-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm new to 29'er-land but I'm finding that the Edge carbon tubular rims I chose for mine seem to make the wheel stiffness a non-issue, at least I haven't noticed any yet.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    carbon rims are out of touch price wise for most though. a stiffer axle is not really correcting the issue but will at least help.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    carbon rims are out of touch price wise for most though. a stiffer axle is not really correcting the issue but will at least help.

In the 700c road world it's not much of a premium anymore for carbon rims, maybe 15% at the most. I guess the tubular thing is still a big question for a lot of people, but it works for me.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    I bet they're available within the year...

Yeti was doing the 142mm thing for XC about before Specialized. Anyways, it is a good idea, stiffer with almost no weight penalty.
    Yeah and the 12mm DT Swiss thru Axel helps as well... Hope the guys in CT are listening!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Yeah and the 12mm DT Swiss thru Axel helps as well... Hope the guys in CT are listening!!
    Here is a good thread summarizing the 142 x 12 axle used on the Epic and some quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    The 142mm x 12mm thru axle on the Epic uses a proprietary rear wheel standard "142 Plus" instead of a standard 142mm x 12mm wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    If you use the Roval 142+ x12mm rear wheel then it looks like you won't be able to change quickly to a non Roval wheel as the cassette spacing is different. The upper and lower limit screws on the rear derailleur will need changing depending which wheel you use. If you put a standard 142mm x 12mm wheel in then the gear indexing will be all wrong and you could potentially throw the chain off the rear cassette.
    Now think again, is 142x12mm spacing really that great? I don't like it, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont like the fact that if I get a new bike then wheels must come too, I guess I'll still be that guy on 9 speed and 135 x 10mm axles.

But back on track to the Cannondale Scalpel 29er: FINALLY!

mtbr member
    Similar compatability arguments about Lefty hub availability/compatability...

Anyways, hope the 29'er Scalpel is here sooner than later, and they do whatever it takes to make it laterally stiff in the rear. Should easily be an industry leader in the weight department. Maybe even sub 20 lb in an Ultimate build.

I'm actually more concerned with the availablity of the 2011 models though!
    Last edited by brentos; 07-06-2010 at 11:34 PM.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    I dont like the fact that if I get a new bike then wheels must come too, I guess I'll still be that guy on 9 speed and 135 x 10mm axles.
    I don't disagree with ya on the fact that it seems everyone is coming up with propriatery standards... 15mm vs 20mm front axle is a good example.

Seems though that the DT Swiss 12mm axle is getting pretty well established in the rear. And if you have to have a hub to support that then whether it is a 135 or 142 is a moot point. The thing about the 142 standard is it increases the lateral stiffness of the wheel significantly. That's all good in my book... lots of wheel builders around!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    I'm actually more concerned with the availablity of the 2011 models though!
    How so? I would hope that after the total shortage across the board this year they would increase production.

Or were you saying that because you think availability will be high, you will be tempted to buy a new carbon one...?

Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Seems though that the DT Swiss 12mm axle is getting pretty well established in the rear. And if you have to have a hub to support that then whether it is a 135 or 142 is a moot point. The thing about the 142 standard is it increases the lateral stiffness of the wheel significantly
    I understand that the concept is good and will make the bike a lot stiffer, but being a college student, I don't think that I could afford to buy a new bike and only buy DT hubs, they are expensive. Now if someone like Stan's comes along and makes their ZTR hub compatible with the 142 x 12, that would be a different story!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    guess the tubular thing is still a big question for a lot of people, but it works for me.
    lets say your out on an all day epic ride 6+ hours a good twenty miles from a bail out point and you have a torn sidewall... are you just going to be able to stuff a dollar bill or power bar wrapper between the tire and a tube and limp on home or are you stuck out in the middle of nowhere riding back on your now flat tubular tire and hopeing that your expensive edge carbon fiber rims will hold up from the abuse.

tubulars make a lot of sense for world class xc racing where they have pits in case you have a flat out on the course but what about the rest of us that have to deal with trail side and race day mechanicals ourselves?

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    lets say your out on an all day epic ride 6+ hours a good twenty miles from a bail out point and you have a torn sidewall... are you just going to be able to stuff a dollar bill or power bar wrapper between the tire and a tube and limp on home or are you stuck out in the middle of nowhere riding back on your now flat tubular tire and hopeing that your expensive edge carbon fiber rims will hold up from the abuse.

tubulars make a lot of sense for world class xc racing where they have pits in case you have a flat out on the course but what about the rest of us that have to deal with trail side and race day mechanicals ourselves?
    My plan for longer rides like you describe is to carry a Cyclocross tire as a spare, it's not much more weight than a couple of spare tubes. But I do agree it's a bit different. My typical ride is 2:45-3:00 and if I'm riding something really rugged I'd probably take the Scalpel. On the 29'er for my first three or four rides I didn't have a spare with me but these were jeep road rides, two track and gravel so I figured odds were pretty low that I'd flat. I guess there's also inflator/sealant products that might suffice to get home on.

I feel both for road and for 29'ers tubular offers such a big advantage in weight, traction and wheel strength/weight that it's worth the minor disadvantage of not being able to throw a spare tube in. Just throw a spare tire on, it's about as easy and as fast.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    How so? I would hope that after the total shortage across the board this year they would increase production.

Or were you saying that because you think availability will be high, you will be tempted to buy a new carbon one...?
    Concerned may have been the wrong word, curious is more like it. I have one on order and of course I'm excited and hoping it arrives sooner than later!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    tried a 29" rear wheel in a 2008 Scalpel :

the bridge between horizontal chainstays touches in the tyre.

and in the 2011 model , with no bridge ?