Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82

    2010 RZ One Twenty 1: Rear triangle lateral play.

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm new to the Cannondale family as i've just purchased my first Cannondale: 2010 RZ One Twenty 1, 3 weeks ago... and am loving it.

    Here's my question, i found a slight lateral play in the rear triangle... at first i thought its the rear hub that has problem so i took the rear wheel off to check the hub but everything is ok, the same with the rear skewer.

    When i apply weight onto the bike the play is gone... i tried lifting the bike off the ground and shake the rear wheel, the play is not there as well... but i when i place the bike down onto the ground with no weight pressure and shake the rear wheel, the play is back. Here's my take, if the rear hub has play... regardless of weight pressure, the play will always be there... i know this because my road bike used to have that problem. My question is, does this happen to your Cannondale as well? Do all multi-link design have this problem... i tested my friend's Commencal and Trek Fuel, the Commencal has the same problem but the Trek Fuel doesn't... why?

    I Thank you in advance.

    Cheers,
    Eric.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    541
    There should be no play anywhere on the RZ rear end. There must be something loose, or ill-fitting some where around the bike. I would start by checking that all pivots and bushings are at the correct torque setting.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,873
    It should have no play. My Rize 140 (nearly the same design) is over 15 months old with 1500+ mi on it. No play at all. I have done the linkage maint outlined in the manual, but that's it.

    Take you bike back to the LBS and ask them to fix it since it's so new.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    81
    I have a 2010 RZ140 with only 355miles on it and I noticed some play as well but I think it has something to do with the wheel. When the bike is off the stand and on the ground I put my chest on the seat to apply weight then grab the top of the rear wheel and shake it side to side there is a definite knocking but when I do the samething but shake it by the chain or seat stays it doesn't seem to be there. I have torqued all of the pivots plus an extra Nm and it's still there. But it doesn't affect the ride at all nor do I even hear or feel any knocking or vibration.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    813
    I have a new (3 week old) RZ120-3 and my son has a RZ120-2, also new. No lateral play issues here whatsoever after about 10 rides. I agree with ziscwg, take it back to your LBS and have them take care of it. For that expensive a bike and as new as it is, you should definitely not have a problem like that with it.

  6. #6
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Thank you everyone for your feedback... my case is VERY similar to cooter32 except when i shake it by the chain or seat stay, the play is still there.... gonna go back to my LBS and have them take a look.

  7. #7
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,966
    Just went and tested out my rize with over 2000 miles on it in two seasons and no play

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    110
    it has similar suspension to Rize's, and we all know there is a problem (actually it is in shock bushes...)

  9. #9
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Vasiliyg~ Can you elaborate more about the problem?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    813
    Well I spoke too soon!!!!!!!
    Yesterday after changing a rear flat, I noticed there was definitely lateral movement in the rear. I thought I just didn't put my wheel back on correctly, or tight enough.
    Keep in mind I have only ridden this bike 10 times, but I do ride pretty hard. It took me a few minutes to pinpoint the problem. I noticed that BOTH rear swingarm bolts were loose, so much in fact that I could see daylight on the one on the brake side. Not good. Luckily I had a 4mm hex with me. Tightened them both up and everything was fine the rest of the ride.
    I am still going to take it to my LBS tomorrow and have THEM make sure eveything is torqued properly and to check all of the other pivots while they are at it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    351

  12. #12
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Thanks again fellas for the feedback... Do you guys think C-Dale fixed the problem on 2010 RZs'? I've checked and re-checked the all the pivot bolts and they are tight as a clam but the play is still there...drives me CRAZY!

    Elzippo~ Seems like i'm riding on the wagon of doom... of all the feedback i've seen, mine is just a matter of time...sigH!
    Last edited by Keninshiro; 10-11-2010 at 08:33 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Keninshiro
    Thanks again fellas for the feedback... Do you guys think C-Dale fixed the problem on 2010 RZs'? I've checked and re-checked the all the pivot bolts and they are tight as a clam but the play is still there...drives me CRAZY!

    Elzippo~ Seems like i'm riding on the wagon of doom... of all the feedback i've seen, mine is just a matter of time...sigH!
    Just bring the bike back to your lbs and let them handle it,mtbr is great to post your gripes but it will not fix the problem

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Keninshiro
    Thanks again fellas for the feedback... Do you guys think C-Dale fixed the problem on 2010 RZs'? I've checked and re-checked the all the pivot bolts and they are tight as a clam but the play is still there...drives me CRAZY!

    Elzippo~ Seems like i'm riding on the wagon of doom... of all the feedback i've seen, mine is just a matter of time...sigH!

    How much play are we talking? Everything from the Pope to the President has a little inherent play.

    You're not doomed if you have spare bearings and loctite 638 on hand, and know what symptoms to look for and when to replace them.

  15. #15
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Just bring the bike back to your lbs and let them handle it,mtbr is great to post your gripes but it will not fix the problem
    I'm not here to gripe or wind like a bi*ch, i need to know what I'm up against before bringing it back to the LBS. Bear this in mind, not ALL LBS are capable of knowing all the problems on every brand they carry... you might know more than them.

    E.

  16. #16
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    How much play are we talking? Everything from the Pope to the President has a little inherent play.

    You're not doomed if you have spare bearings and loctite 638 on hand, and know what symptoms to look for and when to replace them.
    It's not crossing the red sea for sure, the play is about 2mm.

    Unfortunately i don't have any spare bearings, and would be hard for me to get some given the location I'm at. I'm hoping to catch the problem before it becomes out of hand... prevention is always better than cure.

  17. #17
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    After visiting my LBS today, we've managed to solved the problem. The play was coming from the left rear lower seat stay pivot closest to the disc brake mount. On the initial check, everything was ok... all the pivots were tight and according to the recommended torque setting but the play was still there... so i held the bike up-right (wheels on the ground), the mechanic shake the rear wheel while running this ringer over every pivot till we found the problem. We loosen both left and right rear pivot, double check the pivot cover and bearings to see if they were faulty but we found nothing wrong... we switched the pivot covers and bolt around since both sides are identical to see if the problem persist. The mechanic re-assemble the pivots with a healthy dose of grease, some loctite and the right torque setting... WHA-LA! The play is GONE!

    After some discussions with the mechanic, our conclusion is that the frame MAY have left Cdale factory unchecked. The pivots may not be assembled to specification, the pivot cover did not sit in properly hence the play. If you have the same problem as i did, locate the area where the play developed and re-assemble that pivot again.
    Last edited by Keninshiro; 10-20-2010 at 05:26 AM.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    62
    My RZ140 is in the shop as we speak with the same issue. While I was there we found the rear lower seat stay bearings were loose. It talks about it in the manual that came with the bike (link below) on page 16 of the manual or 18 of the pdf.

    http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...140_oms_en.pdf

    Cheers
    Brian

  19. #19
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Brian ~ (Read though the pdf link you've provided) We inspected the bearings when we disassembled the lower arms to check if the bearings were loose / out of their socket but they sat firmly in place so we suspect the bearing covers were not sit in properly during assembly.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    813
    Same exact problem as Keninshiro(See my post above as well) LBS tightened everything up and now it is great. Also double checked to make sure all of the other pivots were to factory torque specs and they weren't.
    My son just bought the same bike(a RZ120-2), so his will be going in this week as well for the same treatment.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    81
    Turns out I wasn't tightening the quick release enough. Now everything is good

  22. #22
    It's ALLll..the way down!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Glad it worked out for everyone!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kneejerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    126
    I picked up an RZ120 recently for my kid, I have an '08 Rize. During assembly of the bike I noticed the rear triangle had some lateral play noticed by holding the top of the rear tire and moving laterally. It was the rear pivot bolts were not tight enough (sandwiched enough) causing some play at the pivot.

  24. #24
    TGS
    TGS is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16
    Looks like I am not the only one.

    I have a 2010 RZ 120-1.. I picked up the bike mid may so it has about 9 mos riding on it,about 3200 miles. I have replaced the complete drive train rings cassette chain(2x) and derailleur, brake pads 2x each front and back all this annoys me but I expect as normal wear and tear, The bike is ridden hard and always perform well.
    How ever.....
    Changing the pivot bearings 5x is ridiculous.
    The bearings at the seat stay /shock link just keep wearing out. Mainly the left side. The first set lasted the longest about 3mos. I have always checked the bolts for tightness!! every ride! I had the LBS change the bearings the first time in order to show me how, there cool like that, let me hang out and teach me how to do it my self. Any how the left side wore out again after about 200 miles?? So I brought it back to them to fix again, I was thinking if I have the shop do all the work I don't risk any warranty issues if it comes to that. Well over the past 5 mos we are now up to 5 sets of bearing and on complete bolt kit changed???
    Cannondale tech support asks all the same questions over and over, did you check for tightness before every ride? using a torque wrench? Using the rights lock tight?? letting it sit for 24 hrs?? We have done everything by the book! Nothing as far as we can tell is bent? The shop is going to insist cannondale send us a new seat stay and maybe a new link.. something must be out of alignment ??

    I love this bike! This issue is frustrating. The rz120-1 is a 3800 dollar bike, I thought cannondale would be bending over backwards to help us out?? Tech just keeps telling us to try it again. Is it possible the bearings them selves are of poor quality?? Next time we will try some enduro bearings I guess or maybe some high price ceramics?? Or just good high quality German made industrial bearings?
    Any insights and or suggestions are ver very welcome

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kneejerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS
    Looks like I am not the only one.

    I have a 2010 RZ 120-1.. I picked up the bike mid may so it has about 9 mos riding on it,about 3200 miles. I have replaced the complete drive train rings cassette chain(2x) and derailleur, brake pads 2x each front and back all this annoys me but I expect as normal wear and tear, The bike is ridden hard and always perform well.
    How ever.....
    Changing the pivot bearings 5x is ridiculous.
    The bearings at the seat stay /shock link just keep wearing out. Mainly the left side. The first set lasted the longest about 3mos. I have always checked the bolts for tightness!! every ride! I had the LBS change the bearings the first time in order to show me how, there cool like that, let me hang out and teach me how to do it my self. Any how the left side wore out again after about 200 miles?? So I brought it back to them to fix again, I was thinking if I have the shop do all the work I don't risk any warranty issues if it comes to that. Well over the past 5 mos we are now up to 5 sets of bearing and on complete bolt kit changed???
    Cannondale tech support asks all the same questions over and over, did you check for tightness before every ride? using a torque wrench? Using the rights lock tight?? letting it sit for 24 hrs?? We have done everything by the book! Nothing as far as we can tell is bent? The shop is going to insist cannondale send us a new seat stay and maybe a new link.. something must be out of alignment ??

    I love this bike! This issue is frustrating. The rz120-1 is a 3800 dollar bike, I thought cannondale would be bending over backwards to help us out?? Tech just keeps telling us to try it again. Is it possible the bearings them selves are of poor quality?? Next time we will try some enduro bearings I guess or maybe some high price ceramics?? Or just good high quality German made industrial bearings?
    Any insights and or suggestions are ver very welcome
    First of all there are factors that could be wearing the bearings prematurely. Weight of the rider, type of riding, water penetration, assembly and then engineering. I've ridden my Rize quite a bit and don't see any issues with pivot bearings failing. If you are getting the bike wet regularly I'd recommend spraying a lube into each pivot bearing afterward to try and dissipate any residual water that can cause corrosion failure. I doubt that any alignment issues are resulting in bearing failures. Although, I guess if the bearing was getting clamped crooked it could happen, although it would have to be pretty extreme. If the bearing is somehow getting crushed when tightened, that could be a concern.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •