Vermonter to the Core

2010 RZ hub wobble

Hi all,
    I was at my LBS today putting together my 2010 RZ 120.. took it for a ride came back to make a few adjustments and noticed the front hub has some side to side play... we took the front apart, reassembled and its still present.. any advise??
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

Vermonter to the Core
    Found out from the local rep that Cannondale did not put in a shim that is supposed to go in my hub?? has anyone ever experieced this??
    Thanks,
    Jason
    09 Marlin Disc
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by JEM2
    Found out from the local rep that Cannondale did not put in a shim that is supposed to go in my hub?? has anyone ever experieced this??
    Thanks,
    Jason
    I think the need for shimming a brand new wheel is a bunch of bs...almost every lefty owner complains about some degree of side to side play in the lefty hub....
    I had it on 3 NEW sets so far, but guess what?
    After replacing the bearings in each of them with some abec grade quality bearings from Enduro, it was gone every single time!
    I don't know what kind of cheap bearings cannondale and mavic uses, but the enduro's don't need to be shimmed.
    Seems like they are one of the very few out there that go by international specs...even the replacement bearings that you order through cannondale develop side to side play in no time, telling me that they are slightly out of spec!
    Bottom line: Enduros are cheaper and of superior quality, on top of that they ship lightning fast!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The only shim thing in the lefty wheel that I can think of is that bearing shield the goes on the outside of the larger bearing. That wouldn't do anything with play because isn't pressed against the axle lip next to the rotor.

Humm. ....Is there another shim I'm missing here?

I have a stock lefty wheel and a Mavic ST wheel. No play at all on either.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I haven't had any issues with any of my ST's, last set I used for 2 years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Have the LBS try the wheel on another Lefty too. When I got a Rush with Lefty a few years back we had a similar issue. All wheels we tried showed some play and adding shims did not correct it. Turns out the Lefty spindle was out of spec.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    The only shim thing in the lefty wheel that I can think of is that bearing shield the goes on the outside of the larger bearing. That wouldn't do anything with play because isn't pressed against the axle lip next to the rotor.

Humm. ....Is there another shim I'm missing here?

I have a stock lefty wheel and a Mavic ST wheel. No play at all on either.
    They're talking about the shims which are made out of very thin metal/foil which are the same diameter as the large bearing which are placed behind it.
    It's a try and error procedure where you have to remove said bearing and place a shim behind it before pressing it back in.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

Vermonter to the Core
    we put a 29er lefty wheel on it and only a little wobble.. maybe the spindle is bad!! I guess so "guru" (adam sandler j/k) from lefty is sending the shim to us... I will make sure that they will replace the front end when it snaps off from bad design.... the shitty part is that I have only been able to ride in on the road!! im itching to get it out!!
    09 Marlin Disc
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)