mtbr member

2010 Flash Carbon 29er 1 vs. the 2011 Model

I have an opportunity to buy the 2010 Flash Carbon 29er 1. It is in my size and in stock (on hold for me while I decide). I am not sure if I should take it or wait for a 2011.

Can someone give me a brief overview of how the 2011 differs from the 2010 (except for the HighMod thing, which I kind of get). If the price difference is great enough should I get the 2010? Always wanting the latest and greatest, I am worried I will spring for all this $ for the 2010, partly because it is available now, only to be disappointed when the 2011s start showing up and I can't afford one.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Paladin; 09-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    Marc82Much
    Kenosha, WI

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I wouldn't trade my 2010 carbon flash 29er for anything. I've submitted it to stuff that most won't and it just flat out is the best thing that's ever worked for me. Maybe the 2011 model will be great but so what it's relative at best. I have a dozen plus high end bikes in my garage and all I want to ride is my Flash 29er. If you don't take it please pm me where the bike is.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Benefits to the 2011...in my order of importance.

1. Internal low speed damping adjustment added to Lefty (much needed).
    2. Internal adjustment of air spring volume on Lefty.
    3. Tubeless ready tires included stock (assuming sidewalls are tougher).
    4. Remote lock out, minor as the old lockout is so close.
    5. Hollowgram cranks (the FSA's on last years are really light & stiff too).
    6. HiMod saves something like 80 grams.
    7. Graphics.

Benefits to the 2010.

1. Price, the 2011 went up in price, a lot.
    2. 3x9...I think I prefer it as the 32 tooth is a great, versatile chainring, and the 44t is awesome for road rides and commuting.
    3. I think the Lety is a hair lighter.

That said, I have a 2011 on order, simply because I can't order a 2010, and take advantage of it's great pricing, anymore.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    the SRAM X0 2x10 drivetrain and Hollowgram crankset are the biggest highlights for me. The spec for the 2010 was a little so-so IMO. i wouldnt worry about the hi-mod frame vs normal carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Buy the '10 and order the '11 at the same time. The '11 delivery date is pretty far out in the future. Ride the '10 and sell it when the '11 comes in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX
    Buy the '10 and order the '11 at the same time. The '11 delivery date is pretty far out in the future. Ride the '10 and sell it when the '11 comes in.

mtbr member

Buy the 10 and 11?

Quote Originally Posted by RyderX
    I like this thinking...any idea what my LBS will tell me about delivery date for the MEDIUM 2011? Gotta have some time to save up.
    Marc82Much
    Kenosha, WI

mtbr member
    In addition to the improved internals on the Lefty, the 2011 Flash 1 gets remote fork lockout, while the 2 gets PBR push-button lockout, rather than the DLR lever lockout on the 2010. (I think either of these will be much easier to operate). Also, while the 2011 Flash 1 is Hi-Mod and shaves a few grams, the 2011 Flash 2 gets a new "BallisTec" carbon, which is supposed to be super-tough.

FWIW I think the 2010 Flash 1 is actually closer to the 2011 Flash 2 pricepoint and spec-wise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wonder if the 2011 29'er Lefty with increased travel is better. I kinda wish I just had a normal Speed 100 reduced to 80mm rather than the additional centimeter of crown to axle dimension.

But other than that the Hollowgram crank and XO group are real nice upgrades from last years bike.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wonder if the 2011 29'er Lefty with increased travel is better. I kinda wish I just had a normal Speed 100 reduced to 80mm rather than the additional centimeter of crown to axle dimension.

But other than that the Hollowgram crank and XO group are real nice upgrades from last years bike.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    Benefits to the 2011...in my order of importance.

1. Internal low speed damping adjustment added to Lefty (much needed).
    2. Internal adjustment of air spring volume on Lefty.
    3. Tubeless ready tires included stock (assuming sidewalls are tougher).
    4. Remote lock out, minor as the old lockout is so close.
    5. Hollowgram cranks (the FSA's on last years are really light & stiff too).
    6. HiMod saves something like 80 grams.
    7. Graphics.

Benefits to the 2010.

1. Price, the 2011 went up in price, a lot.
    2. 3x9...I think I prefer it as the 32 tooth is a great, versatile chainring, and the 44t is awesome for road rides and commuting.
    3. I think the Lety is a hair lighter.

That said, I have a 2011 on order, simply because I can't order a 2010, and take advantage of it's great pricing, anymore.
    Thanks for the great list. Do you know if the 2011 Lefty Max XLR has an internal volume adjuster? And internal low speed adjuster too? I am curious if the volume could be lowered enough to use as a 29er.