mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2010 Carbon Lefty 140 pbr vs '09 130 pbr on Mojo SL

I posted similar post in the Ibis forum too... need to get those boys LEFTIFIED!

This is a mini review and first impressions on the 2010 carbon 140pbr:

First photo is the 130 pbr, the other two are just back from my second ride on the new 2010 Lefty 140 pbr.

The 10mm in travel not the only difference. On the old pbr, it was a SOLID lock out, no blow off. One advantage was you could lean forward, compress the front end and lock it in the lowered position for climbing. Nice on the really steep stuff.

On the 2010 pbr the lock out has a (non adjustable) blow off and you cannot compress the front end and have it stay there. I think the lock out threshold must self adjust with the air spring pressure, but not sure. I cannot think of another way it would accomodate riders of various weights.

It is a very solid pedaling platform and now you do not need to freak out if you forget to unlock it and go banging into stuff. Oh, one other thing, activating the lock out does not quite "pop" like the '09 model, making you wonder if it locked until you stand up on it. It has not failed to lock, just not as solid a pop when pushed.

The new Lefty is still a bit tight and needs break in. I will reserve my small bump report until a bit later, but otherwise awesome. (the 130 is great on small bumps).

According to the spec's and my measurements going from the 130 to 140 only changed the axle to crown 2mm (if that)... so they managed 10mm more travel with really not much a handleing/head angle change - nice :-)

This is a great all mountain or even race arrangement This front end is point and shoot, extremely stiff, plush and FUN! I'd highly recommend either "fork" (really a strut) depending on your planned use.

Oh, they managed to drop .2 lbs off the 140 as well so in the new photos with "heavy" tires, wheels and rotors it is 22.95 lbs - not bad for a 5.5" travel all mountain FUN bike!

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Carbon Lefty 140 pbr vs '09 130 pbr on Mojo SL-blk-blue.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Looks sweet man. I wish I could get 2010 Lefty Max... Definitely keep us updated on its performance.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Thanks for the write-up.
    My thinking is if the axle to crown is about the same, then when fully compressed, the tire will come closer to the crown by 8mm or so.
    I run a 650b wheel on my 130 PBR and that is a sweet setup which requires no mods. Like yu said, excellent small bump compliance, but very little platform. I am wondering if the newer PBRs have a little more platform. Could you comment on that after you break the 140 in?

Mr. Knowitall
    Sweeeet. I am definitely following this one. I am planning on getting a Carbon Lefty Max on my Yeti this spring. I am considering both the PBR and RLC model, but have not 100% decided on weight vs. coil spring...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I am wondering if the newer PBRs have a little more platform. ...

Yes, excellent platform without being totally locked out, it's like having an incredible amount of compression and rebound damping at the push of the button. I know it moves a little under pedal pressure, but I can't actually see it move... (well, there is a boot in the way)... and it feels excellent.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Good mini review and looks great.

Do you know the real weight with headset tube included?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi cactusjackslade, Just wondered what size Mojo you have got there? i hope to get a lefty for a Large Mojo SL do you think it will fit??