mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2010 Aluminum Flash 1 29er Build Up

I've recently purchased a used 2010 Flash 1 29er aluminum frame and it's in very good condition. The money I put aside for a brand new bike will go towards this project. Any suggestions will be aappreciated. Here's the build up plan:

1. Replace all bearings

2. SRAM XX1 (cassette, crank, chain, et al)

3. Shimano XTR hydraulic brakes and discs

4. Stan's ZTR Flow EX rims (I was thinking of Mavic Crossmax too)

5. PRB Alloy Lefty

6. SAVE seatpost

Not sure about the handlebar yet as I want non-painted aluminum to match the frame. Perhaps a Chromag silver bar.

For petals I'm using my Speedplays from my GT.

Here's a snap shot of the frame (it actually did not come with gears and crank):

My LBS is doing the build. One thing I'm concerned about is getting parts that can only be used on this frame -- but I think all of these parts can be put on another frame if I crack or damage this one.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kind regards,
    Derek

mtbr member
    Just a few ideas..

1. Stay away from SAVE seatposts. They're heavy, expensive, they damage your frame and are uncomfortable. Moving away from it was the best thing I ever did for my bike.

2.Stans, they're cheap and easy to tubeless, but they're weak and easy to wreck. My friend completely destroyed a Crest at Hadleigh. I would take the CrossMax's over them any day.

3. XTR brakes, if you're spending that much money, go for Hope Race X2s and get some modulation (unless you like the feel of XTR). Either that or go for XTs and save yourself some money.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks! I will refrain from the SAVE.

I was looking for an opinion on Stan's versus the Crossmax. My LBS'ing is about $400 difference. I have the Crosstrails on my GT (26") and I love them.

I'll check out the XTs, again, thanks!

mtbr member
    Wheels are one of the most important components of your bike. Don't scrimp on them. If your budget is tight, cut corners on the finishing kit and get it later. That's what I do anyways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    Wheels are one of the most important components of your bike. Don't scrimp on them.
    Good point! Again, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just a few ideas..
    2.Stans, they're cheap and easy to tubeless, but they're weak and easy to wreck. My friend completely destroyed a Crest at Hadleigh. I would take the CrossMax's over them any day.
    There is however a world of difference in durability of the Flows proposed for this build (marketed at AM and DH, bombproof), and the Crests your friend destroyed which are extremely light at the expense of strength.

Arch sitting somewhere in between the two

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks! Something's odd to me; here's Stan's page for the 4 different rims with ZTR Gold at the top. Notice that all the others are the same price ($595) - so I don't think these are different quality rims.

29-inch Mountain Wheels

My LBS is around $1000 for the Mavic Crossmax 29er and he is pushing me towards Stan's. Now I'm a bit confused.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run the Arch EX with Project 321 hubs. Runs like a champ after two years of racing.

I weigh around 180lbs kitted up and ride at a high sport/low expert level time (slow up hills due to a beer tooth LOL.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Had to make a decision... went with Mavic SLR. Went with XT Shimano brakes too (saved $200 there).

Have not made up my mind on the seat post, stem and headset; I don't jump or ride rough, those days are over, just trails. I think I need to look at the build when she's almost done to then decide those elements.

mtbr member
    Good shout with the Mavics. Which ones did you get? Red hubs or white ones? The XT brakes will look really good with that frame thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Good shout with the Mavics. Which ones did you get? Red hubs or white ones? The XT brakes will look really good with that frame thinking about it.
    I only saw white hubs available with the SLR model. I have the Crosstrail Mavics on my GT and they are great rims but I used them with tubes. I'll go tubeless on this bike. I did not like the white hubs, on the Crossmax but I think they'd be better than red. I also told the LBS to make sure the Lefty was black with black clamps, because all I see today are white clamps. Such a minor point, I know, but at these extreme prices ($1000 for a shock) I will choose the color!

I was going to go with the XTR brakes but with XTs it was $200 less. On my GT are mechanical disc brakes so hydraulic will be new for me so XTs should be the cat's meow.

Still don't know about headset, stem and seat post. I have to see the build I guess.

I ordered a silver Handlebar to match the frame; the LBS only had black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Guys, a wrench was thrown into the plans... my LBS just told me that he XX1 freehub body is on backorder for the Mavic. It is coming into stock late November.

So do I go with a Stan's rim instead? Which is the better mountain biking model? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You could check out the new hoops from american classic, the 101. Lighter then stans crest and stiffer from what I read. They cost around the same too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Right now waiting on my LBS. He's finding out if Stan's has the XX1 hub. I know others have put the XX1 on the Flash, I wonder what rims they used.