mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2010 29er 3 vs. 09 Scalpel 4

My LBS offered up a closeout 09 Scalpel 4 (ordered in, haven't ridden it yet) for about a couple hundred more than what I could get the 29er 3 for. My last 2 MTBs have been 29ers & love them, however haven't had a full-suspension MTB since late late 90's & am intrigued by the advancements made. All of my research has been on hardtail 29ers, so I need to speed up my learning curve on the Scalpel. A lot more bike for the money. This would be an everything bike; single track, gravel, endurance riding, racing, etc. Any advice out there?

mtbr member
    Everything else being equal, the parts spec on the Scalpel is well worth the extra couple hundred. (Except for the model of lefty)

Everything else is not equal though, hardtail vs. full suspension. It's always fun to try new things, so maybe give the Scalpel a shot. If you plan on selling it in a year, think about resale. With a new Scalpel on the way, and 29ers selling as fast as they can be made, the resale on the Flash will likely be better.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

Tool
    I would recommend trying a Scalpel before buying. It's a very fast and nimble bike, but some folks who are used to racing on HTs feel the Scalpel's rear end is too limp for them (I never felt that way, but I'm not a racer and would rather grasp my handlebar with my teeth than ride a HT in NH (although I do understand why people like them)).

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks guys, picking up the 29er 3 today. Going with what I really want, even though it isn't as great of a deal. Realized that I shouldn't purchase for the deal, but rather the bike. With the couple of hundred bucks I save, I'll also have wiggle room for a couple improvements. My first Lefty, although I've ridden them before.