mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2009 Scalpel Carbon 2

I am looking at buying a used 2009 Scalpel Carbon 2. The pictures of the bike look identical to what Cannondale shows on their website and the specs the seller are giving match what is listed by Cannondale for this bike. The thing I am wondering about is on the fork of the bike I am looking at buying there are stickers that say "FOX Factory". The fork is suppose to be a Lefty Carbon 110 SL . Did the 110 SL have Fox internals or something. It has the lockout knob and rebound damping knob in the center that I am used to seeing on the 110 SL. The specs Cannondale gives for this bike say the fork is a 110 SL. Can anyone tell me what fork this is? The bike is listed on e-bay as 2009 Scalpel Carbon 2 size small. Thanks.

Tool
    Have you asked the seller about it yet? Maybe he's a Fox fan and just put a decal on his fork? I've seen people do stranger things. Could it be a stock photo and not the actual bike for sale?

My 2008 Scalpel Carbon 2, which I bought in August of '08, came with the Fox RLC Lefty, but if that were the case on the bike you're looking at, the knobs would be different than just the two knobs on the SL, assuming the picture is of the actual bike.

As I'm no expert, I'm sure someone who is will chime in to help sort things further.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    The 2009 Scalpel 2 came with a Fox RLC lefty. It was a change Cannondale made after the website and catalogs were released. That is a great fork, and it is the fork that the bike came with.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.R
    ...Fox RLC lefty... That is a great fork...
    Agreed.

I loved mine. I now have the speed carbon SL, which I also love (it was an unusual warranty issue which Cannondale handled very well - there was also more to it than just the fork). The Fox internals gave more control and a better ride than the SL, but it's hard not to favor the SL's half pound weight advantage! On the flipside, if I went back to an RLC, I doubt I'd find myself constantly missing the SL....just from time to time.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    Agreed.

but it's hard not to favor the SL's half pound weight advantage!.
    Yep, that is why i took the RLC that came on the scalpel and put it on my rush. And took the SL from my cracked taurine and put it on my scalpel. Now I have a 21lb scalpel and a 16.5lb flash on the way. but that RLC is sweet on the rush to get back to the topic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    that's weird, my 09 scalpel 2 came with the carbon speed sl dlr. Which I had a one in a million problem with, so they sent me the 2010, with the white crowns, how nice is that! The guys at cannondale have been great.