mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2009 Rize 5 or 2008 Scalpel 3?

Hi all,

Newbie here, looking at getting my first full suspension bike. I have the option to get a new 2009 Rize 5 for $1500 or a very slightly used 2008 Scalpel 3 for $1700. Is the used Scalpel 3 worth the extra $200? I'm looking to ride mostly XC and downhill

For those who have experience w/ either bike, could you offer you valued opinion?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wow- HUGE difference in bikes there. Scalpel is an XC race bike, Rize is an all-mountain/trail bike. I just sold my Scalpel, which was very nice, much more comfortable than a hardtail, but nothing like the Rize (I bought the 3 with the Lefty), which is a really nice all around bike. One other thing to consider is the lifetime warranty on the frame, which you WILL NOT GET with the used Scalpel- only applies to original owner. As a new rider, with an eye on "downhill" riding, the Rize should be your only choice. $1500 for a USA-made full warranty bike is a good deal. BTW, I did race my Rize in one XC race- it was a pretty rough trail, and it performed really well. I'm glad I used it instead of the Scalpel for the comfort factor alone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've been riding a 2005 Team Scalpel since 2005. I don't have experience with the longer travel Scalpels. In general the Scalpel is a XC race bike where performance comes first and comfort somewhere down the list. I always viewed the bike as more of a soft tail than a true full suspension bike.

I recently purchased a 2009 Rize 2. Considering your suggestion at doing anything downhill, the Rize would really be your only choice.