mtbr member

2009 Rize 4 - Replacing Fox Fork with Lefty

I've been riding an '09 Rize 4 for about a year. It's my first full-suspension bike, and I love it. I've been contemplating replacing the Fox fork with a Lefty. The Fox is great, nothing wrong with it. This is mainly for fun and because I lusted heavily after the Rize 3 but didn't have the money for it at the time.

So, basically I'm asking for some opinions. Do I roll with Lefty Max w/PBR or spring for a Lefty Max Carbon. I'm guessing that the new 2010 Leftys with 140mm travel would fit my bike, but I don't want to assume anything. I'm also guessing that my headset will undergo an overhaul to accommodate the new fork (Cannondale uses some kind of spacer in the headset to fit a standard fork, right?).

So, I'd love the stiffness of the Lefty and would be great to lose some bike weight in the process. You guys think this is a good idea and what details might I be overlooking with the installation?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cannondlae has introduced the Lefty for All program for 2010 where you can buy a Lefty to fit all brands.

From what I have seen hte LFA program also uses the OPI one piece integrated stanchion so this should simplify your choice. Don't quote me but it may also include spacers for Cannondale frames.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I put an '05 max carbon on my rize 4 last fall.Huge improvement over the fox.Easy swap,no need for the lefty for all,you're on a Cannondale-you're all set.The lefty bearings press into the frame,theres a thin spacer that goes top side,not much to worry about.

mtbr member
    The 2010 Lefty Max Carbon 140 retails for $1299. Its pretty price. The 2010 alloy version goes for $1099, which is not all to much better. I just won a '10 alloy PBR 140 for about $400 less than retail.
    Last edited by Duncan1104; 04-08-2010 at 04:58 PM.

I'm with stupid
    I have my lefty pbr 130 on on my 09 rize 3 that im thinking about selling off to get a 10 carbon if your interested pm me.