mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2009 F7 drivetrain and wheel

I have a 2009 F7 CO2 hardtail and I'm looking for some help on finding replacement parts. I would like replace the rear wheel with something between $150 and $250. Also I want to make it into a 9 speed in the rear if possible. From what I was told the whole rear gear assembly was 1 unit and parts could not be replaced like a normal bike since its just a cheap entry level.

What wheel would fall into that price range? I ride xc and do some xc races.
    Can it be converted to a 9 speed?

mtbr member
    It is possible to convert that bike to a 9 speed, but there is more that just the cassette and wheel to replace. You will also need to buy a new rear derailleur and rear shifter. You can get Sram X-5 pretty cheap but if you can afford a little more I would go with X-7 rear derailleur and shifter. With a decent wheel and all the other parts you are looking at around a $300-500 (depending on the wheel) investment. For one more gear on the back I really dont think that it is worth it unless it is broken. I would ride the heck out of it the way it is, save the money and upgrade to a better bike down the road.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well i dont have $3500 to drop on the new bike i want so i figured id do some upgrades to this one. At this point the bike is not rideable, i think the hub/gears or whatever in the back is broke because i cant get a full revolution without in skipping, and the chain was just replaced on it, and its still doing it.

MAVIC CROSSRIDE DISC WHEELSET
    (i have been debating buying these for a month or so now)
    SRAM PG 970 CASSETTE
    SHIMANO HG-93 9SP CHAIN
    SHIMANO XTR GEAR CABLE SET
    SRAM POWERLINK 9SPD
    Sram X.7 Rear Derailleur & X.7 Trigger Shifters Combo Kit
    Avid BB7 Disc Brake Combo Kit

All for $471 before shipping

mtbr member
    Thats not a bad price. Disk brakes will be a great upgrade for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mine actually came with disc brakes, but i think they are junk.

Will i need any special tools to put all of this together? the only think i know i need is a chain tool. Im sure there are video's on youtube, but if anyone knows of any articles or howto's that would be great.

mtbr member
    Oops, I forgot the word Those at the beginning of the sentence. I meant, those disk brakes would be a nice upgrade. You will need some allen wrenches (maybe just a 5mm), a screw driver to set limits and a cassette tool (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-FR-5.../dp/B000R9ACZC) to put the cassette on. Cable cutters will be a plus if you are running new cables.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Any recommendations for a crankset, bottom bracket, and front derailer? Something that would be compatible with the above? I haven't done anything like this before so im just learning what is compatible.
    Last edited by hypnoticreality; 06-30-2010 at 03:27 PM.