mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New question here. 2009 Cannondale Moto 4 Question............

Just a question about the Cannondale Moto 4................I have not Mountain Biked for quite a few years now, but I am toying with getting a new one. I have several Road Bikes, and think it would be nice to have another Mountain Bike again.

A local dealer has a 2009 Cannondale Moto 4 in green. He is willing to the let it go for $2,000.00 dollars, which seems reasonable compared to the original price tag..............It this a good deal on a two year old, and now discontinued model?? What did this model originally sell for (street pricing)??

Will this model work for all around use, or just mainly down hill? It seems a little heavy, but as long as it will climb OK, I can probably live with it.

My other option is the 2011 RZ One Twenty 2...............Even though the deal is not as good, it may be a better bike for me??

Any input on this would be appreciated..................Thanks!!

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I'll sell you a slightly used but with new front triangle Moto 1 in size Medium for $2500.00 right now. It is an XTR / XO mash up as seen here:

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Pr...-Moto-Carbon-1

Let me know if you're interested.

-R

mtbr member
    It's a great all around bike if you plan on hanging around the more mountainious terrian. Where your rides consist of straight up and then straight down terrian. On long consistent climbs it does a great job. Just sit back and spin. However if you do more flowy/rolling terrian where you'll be out of the saddle pounding up hill and it starts going down again for a short bit an so on, then not so much.

Going downhill of course it is going to be amazing, it could be use for pretty much all kinds of downhilling comfortably.

If you do live somewhere that has mostly flat riding and rolling terrian the 120 RZ will be the far better choice or if climbing up is your priority.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the rear pedals reallly quite well, but this will not make the frames design flaws go away sadly. The bb was way too high, the dhx air is crap and the rear too flexy. I have not tried it with the new update links as the frame has been sitting in my garage the last year after i broke it (haven't gotten around to sending it in yet for some reason). The geo is pretty good, the rear suspension is def on the xc'y side of am, though i quite liked it for bombing downhill. I own a carbon though. Now though i own a turner 5 spot with most of the parts from the mote and even though it is a wee bit more expensive the frame is just in another league all together. It is the best am bike ive ever owned - and i've owned a few.

If you need 6 inches of travel it might be a ok to great bike for you (depending on how picky you are) or it might not be. If you don't really need six inches then the rz120 is prob a way better bike for you. In between the moto and 5 spot i ran a rush with a 140mm lefty pbr, which was hilariously much fun. The rz120 is very similar, just more refined (stiffer, lighter frame with more refined rear suspension) and with 120mm up front. I would think it is a superb allrounder. If you don't really know which is better for you of the rz120 and moto, shop around and get a rz140. That is prob the bke you are looking for as it is a perfect compromise

happy trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bigger and tougher is better-get the MOTO-and put flats on it. The RZ120 is fine for XC but the Moto handles stuff in a more tougher way. Also try to get the price down a little further.