Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TXTony

2009 Cannondale Moto 3 Carbon

Was curious if anyone out there has experience with this bike...looking to replace my Enduro with a similar type rig..the LBS has one on closeout at a decent price around 2200 dollars..kinda straying away from Specialized and though I have never owned a Cannondale I know back in the day they made some awesome bikes... have not really kept up with them since their adventure into the dirt bike world...thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a 2005 Prophet and the carbon is probably a Moto 2. Ask for extra pivot parts. This bike is better than mine at the same stuff supposedly and I would jump on it if pivot parts and other parts are in avail. I am saving for a new Jekyll but for 2200 its almost like you cant lose. Dont take my word for it though. try it out - if it dont suit you then its not good for you even free. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    it depends on what you are after. If you want an efficient more xc style type rear end that is short and has am geo the moto is a decent bet, even if the rear is on the flexy side of things. If you want a hard core enduro dh/am type bike, look elsewhere. The highish bb and flexy rear is not your friend in need when carving down a mountain, especially if you are heavier. The bike is a blast to play around on, but owning one i wouldn't have bought it again to be honest. Oh well, i got a moto 1 real cheap so can't complain, though i'm waiting to get the frame warrantied. I believe the jekyll to be a better bike and will upgrade to it if Cannondale gives the go ahead, but it is a lot more expensive and harder to come by. If you like the look of it (moto) and geo and are willing to give it a go, then do it. If you don't like it then just swap frames as the specs are decent.

i used to own a prophet as well. That bike i would buy again, indeed, i looked for a used one the other day, but couldn't justify it. Slightly flexy rear end as well, but killer geo and a more than decent enough suspension system, especially with a custom tuned shock. The prophet is pure brilliance.

happy trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If you're the type of rider who turns over frames quickly - like buying / selling a bike a year is nae bother, then go for it as it sounds like a great price and would be a good bike to ride for a season.
    If you're more into long term keeper bikes then I'd probably swerve it. It's not a design that's stuck for cannondale and everything now looks to be pointing to the Jekyll.

My point of view might be biased as I'm in the UK and literally no one rides a moto. Cdale are less popular here than in the US, but still a respected outfit. The prophet, rush etc are classics that you see plenty of on the trails and the rize is a well-regarded bike that you see now and again. The moto just hasn't made any sort of impression - it's something of an unknown quantity and I wonder why that is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hi cannondale fan's this is my first post, im also in the uk i ride a moto carbon 3 and i love it, also have a jekyll hi mod 1 on order if it ever arrive;s

mtbr member
    I went to the LBS after seeing a 2010 Moto 4 on clearance. Once I got in the shop and chatting to the owner, he offered a couple of alternatives. A 2009 Carbon Moto 3 and a 2010 RZ140 3Z. It took me a week to decide, but I eventually chose the RZ. Trails here in DFW are not major DH runs and despite the drool factor of owning a Carbon frame bike, I decided that the Moto was a little overkill and maybe a little too heavy to ride the local trails.

I never had a chance to ride the Moto, but I did see an aluminium framed model at the store when I went back to pick up my RZ, and I was shocked at how much heavier it was compared to my RZ. The RZ weighs 29lbs, so I can only imagine the Moto weighed about 40lbs! Carbon frame might drop a few pounds to the mid 30's perhaps. After this experience, I think I made the right decision. I love my RZ and really love the Hammerschmidt crank too.

Moto_boy, do you have a means to weigh the bike? I dont want to put the OP off by giving him false stats on the Carbon Moto weight.

TXTony, where in TX are you? The LBS I saw the moto3 at priced it less than $2200

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour
    I went to the LBS after seeing a 2010 Moto 4 on clearance. Once I got in the shop and chatting to the owner, he offered a couple of alternatives. A 2009 Carbon Moto 3 and a 2010 RZ140 3Z. It took me a week to decide, but I eventually chose the RZ. Trails here in DFW are not major DH runs and despite the drool factor of owning a Carbon frame bike, I decided that the Moto was a little overkill and maybe a little too heavy to ride the local trails.

I never had a chance to ride the Moto, but I did see an aluminium framed model at the store when I went back to pick up my RZ, and I was shocked at how much heavier it was compared to my RZ. The RZ weighs 29lbs, so I can only imagine the Moto weighed about 40lbs! Carbon frame might drop a few pounds to the mid 30's perhaps. After this experience, I think I made the right decision. I love my RZ and really love the Hammerschmidt crank too.

Moto_boy, do you have a means to weigh the bike? I dont want to put the OP off by giving him false stats on the Carbon Moto weight.

TXTony, where in TX are you? The LBS I saw the moto3 at priced it less than $2200
    I am in Haslet...I saw your RZ at the bike shop I think(off of Heritage Trace)..my buddy is the one with the Alum Moto 3...they do not have anymore Rize in my size..and honestly this Moto would not be my main rig..I have a Trek Ex8, Trek 8000, Carbon Stumpjumper and Enduro...this bike would be replacing my Enduro for all mountain use..mostly like Dino Valley and when we go to New Mexico and Colorado..hence why I thought about getting the Moto 3...for the price it seemed like a solid rig and for that price for a bike that is not my main rig seemed like a good deal for an All Mountain Rig instead of 3-4 grand for a bike that I would not be using all the time...for the most of the trails around here I am still ridding my hard tails more than anything..like North Shore and Cedar Hill I use my HT 90 percent of the time. I appreciate the feedback and my thoughts where to get the Moto and ride it a few seasons and upgrade the frame to a Jekyll after seeing how the new ones do with that new suspension they have...so the weight of the Moto 3 really is not an issue to much as my Enduro is pushing 31 pounds...just not a big fan of the geometry of that bike..it is a 2006 model...so in short the Moto would be used for All Mountain stuff or when I want to go out and just hit crap really hard..

mtbr member
    Yep, that was certainly my bike!! Owner said he must have sold 3 more RZs just because he had mine in the store. The carbon Moto was seriously tempting though. Brian was offering it for $2k to me, so you might want to push for a discount. Just don't mention I suggested that. I want to keep him on my good side!!

It sound like you plan to thrash the bike quite a bit, so I guess the Moto would be a good fit for you. I wish incould afford to have that many bikes to play with!

TXTony
    I was into Motocross and had a bad accident about 6 years ago...shattered my humerus into 24 pieces, snapped my collar bone and pushed my shoulder out 2 inches in my back..the Doctor said no more MX...I have been ridding bikes for over 20 years and used to race roadbikes..needed a hobby to occupy my time when the weather would not let me ride and while I was healing..sold all my MX stuff and took up photography and bought tons of gear over the years..the cool thing about that was the lenses hold their value..got out of photography and sold all my gear...got almost all the money back I ever invested in it except for the camera bodies...digital does not hold value to much..got enough money back to buy three bikes, two sets of custom wheels...so it was really a matter of liquidating one hobby and putting the money back into the one I really love...bikes. so really my days in Motocross paid me back with camera gear then bikes...before I did that I only had the Enduro and old hardtail I used..most of my time was spent on my road bikes..but it is getting to the point of ridding a road bike around here is like tempting fate..yeah seeing your bike in the shop got me to thinking of getting a Cannondale...but there are no more Med ones left..we put the Alum Moto on the scales on the shop and it weighed right at 34 pounds..Brian said the Carbon Moto would weigh around 32 pounds stock..a pound or two more than my Enduro..but it has more travel than my Enduro...I really like that Rize and should have sprung for one when I saw yours..but waited a day or two to long...just can not make up my mind as it seems to get mixed reviews on it...but it would be more trail specific use than an every day ride and the price compared to other bikes with similar specs seems like a killer deal...I know back in the day Cannondale was the bomb...and then they entered the world of MX and it pretty much sunk them..since then I have not kept up with them enough but I think they still make quality products but just do not have the hype or following as the other BIG guns in the market.

TXTony

I went by an saw Brian today and he said he could do it for 2000...I think I am going to pull the trigger on this rig and give it a go

mtbr member
    Congratulations mate! Good to hear you got a discount!! You will have to let me know what you think of it after a few rides.

TXTony
    Congratulations mate! Good to hear you got a discount!! You will have to let me know what you think of it after a few rides.
    Pulled the trigger on it today...should be in the shop Mon-Tues...sold some extra gear I no longer use (been sitting around for a year) and raked in 1200 dollars for that stuff...so I was out 800 dollars total..figured for roughly 800 bucks out of my pocket a Carbon All Mountain Bike is worth a go...This is my first foray away from Trek and Specialized so I am kinda curious if I am gonna dig the Cdale

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony
    Pulled the trigger on it today...should be in the shop Mon-Tues...sold some extra gear I no longer use (been sitting around for a year) and raked in 1200 dollars for that stuff...so I was out 800 dollars total..figured for roughly 800 bucks out of my pocket a Carbon All Mountain Bike is worth a go...This is my first foray away from Trek and Specialized so I am kinda curious if I am gonna dig the Cdale
    im curious to see what you think of it. my coworker just bought a 2009 moto 2 and i got a moto 4 his is sweet and mine is still at the shop in a box because i had foot surgery 2 weeks ago and havent had time to build it. p.s. my father in law owns the shop and myself and coworker got awesome deals! im very new to mtb and would love to hear a good review. im a clyde myself but any good info you can give would be appreciated. good luck with the bike and congrats!!!

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by slegos888
    im curious to see what you think of it. my coworker just bought a 2009 moto 2 and i got a moto 4 his is sweet and mine is still at the shop in a box because i had foot surgery 2 weeks ago and havent had time to build it. p.s. my father in law owns the shop and myself and coworker got awesome deals! im very new to mtb and would love to hear a good review. im a clyde myself but any good info you can give would be appreciated. good luck with the bike and congrats!!!
    Thanks I will post up a review when I get a few rides under her...I am curious as well..I had always wanted a Cdale back in the day when they where huge..but where I live the majority of the shops carry Trek/Specialized/Giant..so for over twenty years I have been ridding the Big S and Treks..this may be replacing my Enduro...to which I really can not stand..My buddy got a Moto 3, the aluminum one and he loves it...hucks it and shucks it everywhere...he said you can for sure fell the weight on the climbs..but after ridding my Enduro I imagine it is that way with most long travel All Mountain Bikes..I know on the techy downhill stuff we can not hang with him...while we are grabbing brake picking our way through the stuff he just bombs over it and is usually sitting at the bottom waiting..I will let you know what I think when I get it next week...good luck with the foot

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    $800, how can you lose - thats great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

'08 DLR2 Lockout Issue / Weeping Oil Question

Sorry, I did not mean to post a reply here folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsheep
    Good day all, I had the Scalpel in my grade eight science class to demonstrate hydraulics and pneumatics. Low and behold the lock out lever did not function correctly on my 2008 Lefty DLR2. The fork now moves through 1/2 of its travel and then locks out. Even when locked out there is give to the fork. Previously, the lockout would not allow any travel or movement. I brought the bike home tonight only to find oil weeping out of my top seal cap (Part #1020341) next to the shraeder plug on the lower leg assembly. Will filling the bottom of the air piston with 20 cc's of fork oil fix the problem? Or is the issue the oil in the damper unit? I have full access to all Cannondale specific tooling and I am a competent mechanic. It has been a few years since I last tore down Marzocchi Bombers but with all the tools and repair parts, those forks were stupid easy to service. It'll be the first time on a Lefty. I need your help Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.
    Post this q in the sticky lefty thread. much better chance of an answer if you don't hijack someone's unrelated thread.

TXTony
    Bike is at the shop...On the scale it weighed 32.7 pounds with pedals...pictures really do not do this bike justice...in person it looks great...getting some things changed out before I hit the trails with it...will post up when I get a ride or two on her...

TXTony
    Forgot the picture...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks sweet ... I have the same one on order from closeout ... should be arriving at my lbs by the week's end ... can't wait!

TXTony or anyone else ... did you get the updated linkage (from '10 models) to drop the bb height and slacken the angle? I asked the dealer but they had no clue about it. Anyone have the part number?

Thanks.

TXTony
    Not sure..good question...I will ask when I take it back in for the new wheels..it does not look like the BB area is any higher than my buddies 2010 Moto..it has been raining here all day so the only ride I got to do was around the hood on it a bit...I dig the way it feels..just sitting on this thing feels like an All Mountain rig vs my Enduro...the head tube area is massive..the verdict is still be found on the Hayes brakes but I like the levers and how they feel...reminds me a lot of my Dirt Bike..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the quick response.

I'm still drooling over the pic of your bike

So what new wheels are you putting on her?

TXTony
    Thanks...I am going with a set of Sun Ringle Charger Pros...white and red...white MRP Bash Guard..and maybe a new saddle...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice upgrade on the wheels.

In the meanwhile, I guess I found the answer to my question. here's the link: Can i buy a 2010 link for my 2009 Moto..

From the thread, I'm not excited about the price tag though:

scocra posted this info in another thread.

"I haven't gotten the updated links yet and am a bit put off by the $120 price tag quoted me by my LBS... The Cdale part numbers for the links are:

KP107/ – Red with black hardware
    KP108/ – green with black hardware
    KP109/ – black with red hardware
    KP110/ – black with green hardware"

TXTony
    Well if the part numbers are correct then the 2009 out of the box are not the upgraded ones...mine are black with black hardware..but after slamming my pedals on rocks and roots and stumps on my Enduro for years I am gonna leave it like it is for awhile and see how it handles on the trails..if it is to high or steep I may pony up and spring for them later on..if they are still able to be had...I would not let it bother you to much until you get yours and ride her a bit..thinking you are gonna dig it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast