mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New question here. 2008 Scalpel or a Titus Racer-X

I was drooling over the 2008 Cannondale catalog and got to thinking about the upgrade program. I really like the idea of 100mm travel on the new Scalpel, (I have a medium '05 Scalpel 2000 now) and was wondering how it might compare to the Titus Racer-X. I've never ridden the Titus, but I hear and read lots of good things about it. It seems like I saw a Moto-Lite with a Lefty on MTBR. Any insight?

So, I'm wondering, a Titus Racer-X (aluminum or carbon) frame with my Lefty and all other components or a new Scalpel frame (aluminum or carbon)?

mtbr member
    I would stick with the Scalpel. I would do so because Cannondale designed the Lefty that you seem to like. Since they also designed a really cool new frame, why not reward them for doing so.

Ride Fast

Good job! Scalpel all the way!

I have seen both bikes and I think that you should get the new scalpel. It's a great bike, and very fast. Also the old design was good but new design makes it even better. I would go with the scalpel if you want a light fast and fun bike.

P.S. If you want very light weight go with carbon and If you want medium light weight and medium/low price go with aluminum.

mtbr member

Go with Scalpel

Skillet26- Titus makes some incredible bikes- I am currently looking/lusting at the Motolite Exogrid-but if you like the lefty I think the Scalpel has the edge here. No question the Racer X is an fabulous bike but the new 08 Scalpel IMHO has it beat slightly. Having seen the upgrades on the 08 Scalpel that is one hell of a nice bike. I would say that from what I have seen the Racer X may be slightly more cross over worthy that is possibly more able to do a little trail riding as well as racing. Either way you go great bikes.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    The scalpel is plenty trail worthy. It is really pretty awesome! Not to mention I doubt the titus will be 22.5 lbs out of the box!

-R

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet26
    It seems like I saw a Moto-Lite with a Lefty on MTBR. Any insight?So, I'm wondering, a Titus Racer-X (aluminum or carbon) frame with my Lefty and all other components or a new Scalpel frame (aluminum or carbon)?
    Project 321 offer conversions for both bonded clamp Leftys, and the moveable Max and older DLR series. I use a few, and have many customers on them too. They work great, and unlike the others out there, they are well executed, and simple to use. No drilling, riveting or other modification required. And you can use a Chris King now I say use your Leftys' newfound portability if you want to play around, they're bikes, not wives after all
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks for the replies!

I saw the Project 321 steerer that's what got me thinking about the Titus.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I say use your Leftys' newfound portability if you want to play around, they're bikes, not wives after all
    Exactly!! I like to tinker with bikes and expand my limited bike mechanic skills. Plus, it would be very unique and I can always go back.

I like the analogy.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet26
    I like the analogy.

Glad to help, I love my Lefty's
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

titus vs cannondale (2 years later)

Hi,
    I see this is quite an old thread , but i am having the same dilemma 2 years later. Titus Racer x OR cannondale scalpel 2009. The setup of both has changed slightly since 2008 (but not too much).
    I really like the lefty and the cannondale brand but am very skeptical about this zero pivot business with the carbon flex chain-stays. Am sure cannondale know their stuff.. but is it strong enough to last?
    Dont know much about titus racer x except that the latest model is yellow. Not my favourite But is hear its a great bike. Perhaps not as plush as the scalpel now that cannondale have given it a bit more travel?

Any opinions on these latest bikes?
    [SIZE=1]The only person to get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I've ridden both. IMO the Racer-X falls somewhere b/w the Scalpel and the Rush in terms of comfort. Handling wise the Racer-X I rode (a rental set up a bit more AM than the usual WW build) was a bit less stable than a Scalpel or Rush but had razer sharp steering.

mtbr member
    two questions what are you planning on using the bike for mainly racing or general trail riding and second what is your budget under or over 3k?

i've owned a couple titus racer x bike in the past an 03 and a 07 both were fantastic bikes the second one i had rock shox reba for on it and it was plush riding and 100% race able the horst link suspension design is great and the quality is second to none.

i rode a scalpel 100 because i wanted something between the racer x and the scott scale ltd hardtail i had one ride with on the bike and the lefty fork had me sold the suspension on the scalpel is much tighter/stiffer than then the racer x i had even with the fox shock propedal off but exactly what i was looking for a nice light quick bike with just enough suspension to take the bigger hits edge off.

if you plan on doing a lotta racing and gonna spend over $3000 i'd have to go with the cannondale if you plan on doing a little racing and more light trail riding look at the Titus or one of those cannondale Rize bikes for sure if your budget is under $3000 the racer x 1 model can't be beat in my opinion.

i know thats not what a lotta folks on the forum wanna hear but but after owning both bikes your asking about thats my opinion.

LA CHÈVRE
    I wont say anything about the Racer X since I have never tried it but... I agree with bad ronald. As good as it is as a race bike, the Scalpel is actually surprisingly good as a trail bike too.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I race on a scalpel (07 last year, just got a new 09), and have tested a racer x. My impression is that the scalpel is both a better race bike and a better trail bike. I will say that I do love the handling of the Racer X in tight single track - that is where the steeper head angle really shines. But the Scalpel rear suspension is more laterally stiff and much more responsive under hard pedaling efforts, so it feels like a much faster bike on climbs and flats. The stiffer handling of the Lefty and the slacker head angle of the Scalpel frame both result in much more solid handling through steep technical stuff. Those are my impressions.