Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2008 Scalpel Team Replica

6K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  spartan23 
#1 · (Edited)
Found a 2008 Scalpel Team Replica @ my local Cannondale dealer. I currently own a Scalpel 3000 and was wondering if the new Carbon Frame is as durable as my 3000 frame.

I cracked several Campy Record seatpost so Im kinda leary about a Carbon Fiber frame.

Im ready to pull the trigger , any tips, feedbacks and advise on the 08 frames greatly appreciated.

thanks

See less See more
#28 ·
Pedalphile said:
At the risk of replying to sarcasm: Yes - it's the outside diameter of the open end of the cap, not the RP23 itself.

That's what makes it so convenient. If you're playing with the air pressure you're going to have the cap off anyway, and it can easily be held close to the gap between the shock body and the o-ring for comparison. It's a lot easier that trying to eyeball with a tape measure, and not everyone has a set of measuring calipers (certainly not on the trail).

-Pete
Pete-
Thanks for the tip as I seriously wasnt sure if the sag was @ 8-10mm. It turned out my RP23 was overinfalted.

#30 ·
Pedalphile said:
Spartan,

NP. Enjoy the softer ride. With the Scalpel's design and low pressure requirement for the shock, a reletively small pressure difference in the 23 can make a big difference in the ride.

Cherers,
Pete
I can feel the difference already- I was wondering why the new Scalpel felt so stiff/ firm.
BTW- my technician has a digital scale measure and measured the cap @ -8.46mm to be exact :D.

I tried locking out the RP23 and still bobs is that normal?

thanks again Pete-

#31 ·
spartan23 said:
I can feel the difference already- I was wondering why the new Scalpel felt so stiff/ firm.
BTW- my technician has a digital scale measure and measured the cap @ -8.46mm to be exact :D.

I tried locking out the RP23 and still bobs is that normal?

thanks again Pete-
There is no complete lock-out on the RP23, the lever changes it from full open (no plateform, good for downhills) to Pro-Pedal (with plateform). When on Pro-Pedal, you can pull the knob, choose between the three levels and push it down again... Play with the 3 settings and see if it helps...

#32 ·
Dan Gerous said:
There is no complete lock-out on the RP23, the lever changes it from full open (no plateform, good for downhills) to Pro-Pedal (with plateform, when on Pro=Pedal, you can pull the knob and choose between the three levels)... Play with the 3 settings and see if it helps...
This is what happens when I dont have the manual..thanks Dan, I'll check the 3 levels out.

#34 ·
spartan23 said:
I can feel the difference already- I was wondering why the new Scalpel felt so stiff/ firm. I tried locking out the RP23 and still bobs is that normal?
Dan covered it well above.

In addition, your weight/riding style and terrain may dictate that you lean more towards 8mm sag than 10mm. I don't see any issue with less than 8mm sag so long as it gives you the suspension response you're looking for. Definitely play with the propedal settings first, and don't forget the rebound settings.....for me, the rebound control doesn't seem to have much effect until the last two or three clicks. Six clicks from undamped seems to be the right setting for me.

-Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.