Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    35

    2008 Scalpel Si BB disaster!

    So i was about to order the scalpel 2 in Jet black & luckily i checked on the website which stipulated that this model is the only frame in the carbon typo that is not equipped with the Si over sized bottom bracket
    Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Cannondale????? I was sooo willing to part out the components from this model & set up with parts from my 2007 team rush.
    I thought all carbon or alloy frames in 2008 were equipped with removable threaded cups to allow you to have choice either way?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    74
    Are you going to order it from an LBS? How is your relationship with that LBS? You could try and see if they could also order the bottom bracket and crank that you want separate from the bike. And either sell the one that came on the bike (eBay or Craig's List or whatever), or see if the LBS will just swap 'em for you at no or limited cost.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    35
    The crank set i want to install onto the the scalpel 2 frame is the 2008 SL Si typo. The scalpel 2 frame will not accept this type of crank set as opposed to the scalpel team & scalpel 1 models will accept either....
    Really strange why they would do this & i'm not overly excited with the other colors cannondale produced for their 08 line up.

  4. #4
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,377
    The issue is that the SI BB30 cranksets and bottom brackets don't fit in regular frames, they need BB30 specific BB shell (bigger, no threads, bearings are press fit). You can fir regular BB and cranks on a BB30 frame with an adaptor but not the other way around.

    Bermudarocks, are you buying the whole bike or just a frame? I think only the blue Scalpel 1 frame (BB30) is available as a frameset. If it's just a color thing, I wouldn't consider this problem a disaster...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    74
    That does pose quite the problem. That matte black paint job is sweet too. Wish you could choose your paint scheme and model instead of being locked into one paint scheme per model. Maybe they will come out with other frame paint jobs later in '08. Or you could have the frame re-painted by Cannondale. Just a suggestion.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    35
    That's exactly my issue here, & really strange Cannondale would limit a high end carbon frame only to accept a standard english thread typo bottom brackets???
    Oh well luckily i checked i was ready to hand over $3500 to my LBS 2morrow to get this baby first week of jan. My bike guy told me no worries with installing an Si set, will have to tell him otherwise 2morrow.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    35
    I had a few mates suggest powder coating the frame but would that void Cannondales warranty?

  8. #8
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,377
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudarocks
    I had a few mates suggest powder coating the frame but would that void Cannondales warranty?
    Probably.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  9. #9
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    Carbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by bermudarocks
    I had a few mates suggest powder coating the frame but would that void Cannondales warranty?
    Any painting/coating voids the warranty
    gfy

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Any painting/coating voids the warranty

    Thanks for that info! Its something i would not consider due to the fact you really can't beat Cannondales super sleek finish on their products, i would be also missing out on those super sleek decals as well.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    453
    Actually if the Carbon Scalpel's BB shell is aluminum (Cannondale refers to it as System 6 technology, so it should be) the BB30 to standard BB conversion adapters ARE removable, so you can indeed install the SI cranks! The adapter cups are NOT removable from any of the Carbon BB shells, such as the Carbon Rush and Super Six. This theory is assuming that the frame has BB30 shell with adapter cups and NOT standard shell. You would think that they would build all of the Carbon Scalpel frames the same, but who knows maybe that model comes with the regular shell. Keep us posted.

  12. #12
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,377
    So? Any update about this? I haven't seen the Scalpel 2 with my own eyes but I'm very curious if the frame is the same as the team replica or the 1 but with an adaptor... Anybody can confirm?

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    35
    I'm anxiously waiting to see one in the raw as well..........???
    A Cannondale rep told me it was a threaded typo BB & the following week i called Cannondale & was told it was a BB30 which cannot be removed, as it is totally fixed & will void the warranty if u try to do so???
    I don't think they have a clue what they are talking about regarding this particular frame & i will just wait for my local Cannondale dealer to get this particular model in & we will finally put this to rest.
    I'm leaning towards this frame having a BB30 installed only because it's a Carbon typo & all these carbon frames came off the same production line, & are manufactured exactly the same. I can't see how Cannondale could isolate this one particular frame unless someone in the factory screwed up 10,000 plus frames & threaded the oversized BB into standard english thread, then had someone point the finger @ the Scalpel 2 to be the one that cannot accept the Si cranks =(

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudarocks
    I'm leaning towards this frame having a BB30 installed only because it's a Carbon typo & all these carbon frames came off the same production line, & are manufactured exactly the same. I can't see how Cannondale could isolate this one particular frame unless someone in the factory screwed up 10,000 plus frames & threaded the oversized BB into standard english thread, then had someone point the finger @ the Scalpel 2 to be the one that cannot accept the Si cranks =(
    The thing is, they aren't manufactured exactly the same. This year the System Six has two models ( I think) that have the BB30 compatible shell, and the rest have a normal 68mm English threaded shell. Same frame, except for that. It's possible they did the same thing with the Scalpel for price-point reasons. You can't just "screw in" a BB30 bottom bracket into a normal shell, because a) it wouldn't fit and b) it doesn't "screw": the bearings are installed with a press-fit and circlips.

    If the frame has a standard English shell, it won't accept BB30, ever. The opposite is possible, with the adapters. I think since the Scalpel and the System Six have aluminum BB shells in all models, the adapters would be removable.

  15. #15
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,377
    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroXC
    The thing is, they aren't manufactured exactly the same. This year the System Six has two models ( I think) that have the BB30 compatible shell, and the rest have a normal 68mm English threaded shell. Same frame, except for that. It's possible they did the same thing with the Scalpel for price-point reasons. You can't just "screw in" a BB30 bottom bracket into a normal shell, because a) it wouldn't fit and b) it doesn't "screw": the bearings are installed with a press-fit and circlips.

    If the frame has a standard English shell, it won't accept BB30, ever. The opposite is possible, with the adapters. I think since the Scalpel and the System Six have aluminum BB shells in all models, the adapters would be removable.
    We understand that a BB30 crankset wont fit a English threaded BB shell, the thing is, we don't know if the Scalpel 2 has a 68mm English BB shell or a BB30 BB shell with a pre-installed adaptor for regular 68mm BBs.

    How much does that adaptor weighs anyway? You gotta add the weight of the adaptor and the fact that no cranks is as light as the Hollowgrams...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    56
    The Scalpel 2 frame (in Jet Black) IS BB30. If you want to put an SI crank, you only have to take off the adapter. C'dale doesn't recommend it, but if you read other threads, a lot of people already did it and had no problem.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    177
    If you are in Europe the Scalpel 2 is a BB30 frame with a removable adapter pressed into it.

    If you are in North America, Japan, or Australia the Scalpel 2 is not a BB30 frame.

    A non-BB30 frame with traditional cranks is going to be lighter than a BB30 frame with and a adapter and traditional cranks. That is why Cannondale did it differently.

  18. #18
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,377
    But a BB30 frame with a BB30 Hollowgram SL crankset is even lighter... and stiffer. Having the option to go that way eventually would be nice, even more now that more BB30 cranks are coming. So with all the contradictory posts... anyone has a North American Scalpel 2?
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 01-30-2008 at 11:13 AM.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    But a BB30 frame with a BB30 Hollowgram SL crankset is even lighter... and stiffer. Having the option to go that way eventually would be nice, even more now that more BB30 cranks are coming. So with all the contradictory posts... anyone has a North American Scalpel 2?

    I do have. wv_rider, you're wrong. The Scalpel 2 in North America is a BB30 frame with an adapter.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    453
    Not to fuel the fire any more....but the one in my LBS (USA) is definitely NOT BB30 with adapter cups.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    177
    I do know that the threaded BB version of the Carbon Scalpel was the last one to ship. I will bet that Cannondale used a BB30 version with adapter on the first shipments. Everything shipping now is threaded BB.

  22. #22
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,377
    I have an idea... Zipp has a road crank that is almost BB30 (30mm spindle with the BB30 spline on the drive-side) but that uses bearing cups that you thread into a standard 68mm English thread BB shell. Now, the spindle is not exactly the same as it doesn't have notches or anything and the non-drive-side arm is fixed on it, you just slide it through the bearings like a normal external bearing BB. If we could get the Zipp cups and bearings and a spindle in the correct length, we could maybe use a Hollowgram SL in a standard frame...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    177
    You never know until you try but I would think that you would need a really long spindle to get them on there. If you found one, you would then run into the chainline being too outboard.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I have an idea... Zipp has a road crank that is almost BB30 (30mm spindle with the BB30 spline on the drive-side) but that uses bearing cups that you thread into a standard 68mm English thread BB shell. Now, the spindle is not exactly the same as it doesn't have notches or anything and the non-drive-side arm is fixed on it, you just slide it through the bearings like a normal external bearing BB. If we could get the Zipp cups and bearings and a spindle in the correct length, we could maybe use a Hollowgram SL in a standard frame...
    THM also have 30 mm axle on there cranks, so they would also maby work.
    on the bb30 axle, you have a "edge" on the non driveside, and spacers on the drive side, the question is, if you take away the "edge" on the non drive side, and not using any spacers on the drivesaide, is there any room for the external bearing?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •