Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Smile 2008 Scalpel prototype... some pictures!

Hi,

Have a look at that... here's the link

http://picasaweb.google.com/guslotra...aleScalpel2008

clone
    May 2004
    ! It's a yeti with a Lefty !

mtbr member
    great photos thanks for the post!

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

No good hope that's functional

hi,

the old scalped design was better (aestetically speaking)

let's see what's on in 2008!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    scalpel 2008 looks great

LA CHÈVRE
    Right in time for my birthday!

Looks nice, cleaner looking than the Scalpel (particularly the seatstays), no pivots at the stays junction, the seatstays look like they are a bit flattish like the chainstays, probably to flex a bit since there are no pivots at the dropouts... Should be light and stiff! Can't wait to see the production version and it's carbon front end...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Looks very nice indeed! With a little luck we'll see the full carbon version in a short while.
    Can't wait!
    Kayba

mtbr member
    i like the bridge between the chain stays, that should really stiffen up the rear end
    one pedal stroke at a time

mtbr member

New question here. Is it a Full Suspension, right?

I couldn't have a good glimpse of the chain stay link bushings near the seat tube. Is it a Full Suspension now or it's still a Soft Tail? Anyway, it looks amazing, though.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    I couldn't have a good glimpse of the chain stay link bushings near the seat tube. Is it a Full Suspension now or it's still a Soft Tail? Anyway, it looks amazing, though.
    It still has flexing chainstays but the new seatstays look to have some flex too so they got rid of the pivots at the dropouts. Less pivots is a good thing to me...

mtbr member
    looks like a rush to me. and looks like longer wheel base vs. the "current" Scalpel

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I had told you

@ "Prototype of the Scalpel successsor spotted in Houffalize"

...maybe the bag has been strategically placed to mask the "no-pivot" between the chain and the upper stays by another (one more than in the Scalpel) flexing carbon part. They said it will be revolutionary, isn't it?

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't call it revolutionnary but evolutionnary, flexing chainstays were already there and flexing seatstays have been used in other designs years ago as were designs without pivots at the dropouts. It's not important to be revolutionnary though, the whole package, it's weight, stiffness, ride qualities are what it's all about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    great photos thanks for the post!
    ehi the photos are mine!!!!! thanks for compliments indeed!

just in case...here is my blog:

http://cyclingracingandtraining.blogspot.com/

ciao!!

Hup, Hup
    Sweet looking bike, wouldn't mind taking it for a spin.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

LA CHÈVRE
    I think it's the first time I see a Vredestein-Cannondale team bike with Vredestein tires, they used to ride with Maxxis or Schwalbe tires with black marker to hide the labels even though the title sponsor was Vredestein...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 05-25-2007 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Good call I noticed that as well! I wonder if those tires are any good, we don't see many here in Australia and by many I mean ANY!

mtbr member

More pics

More pics on http://forum.mountainbike.be/viewtop...r=asc&start=48. This prototype features the new SL hollowgram crankset of 616 grams.

A total weight of 9,36 kilos. That's not bad. 9 kilos should be within reach for the full carbon bike.

Kayba
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    9.3 kg? well, i dunno what top of the line 4inch xc machines usually weigh, but 9.3 is extremely light. does anybody know if the idea is to keep the current scalpel as a bike with less travel, or just leave it behind for the sake of evolution? i'm really excited to see what cannondale comes up with next year, especially in terms of the prophet or longer travel bikes. as things are right now i think i'm getting a system six for some diversified training. still not sure if i can justify the extra cost over a caad 9, but we'll see how it turns out i guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    So has anything really been said about the amount of travel yet? 100mm gets tossed around, but that would seem to be too close to the rush. I could see them bumping up travel across the board (rush to 5 inches, prophet to 6 in, 6.5 maybe) but that apparently isnt in the cards either, according to this: http://www.probike.be/article.php3?id_article=376 looks like the rush is staying at 110mm, so I wonder what the plan is. (unless the rush 1, 2 and 3 have more travel than the lower end ones, which I notice all have 5 inch forks)

mtbr member
    The travel of the new Scalpel will be 90 mm.
    Kayba

mtbr member

There's a scalpel...somewhere

Thought everyone might like to see one ridden in anger (or just plain mud)

mtbr member
    Check out the transition between the BB and the chainstays! Compared to the current Scalpel this is a work of art. The only thing that looks a little cheap to me is the new "frog link".
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    more pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Looks tight - still question the soft-tail design. How long are the carbon stays going to hold up? I think the previous design was better suited for stay life. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe not. I just would not trust laying out no doubt heavy jack without a lifetime frame warranty.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Station
    Looks tight - still question the soft-tail design. How long are the carbon stays going to hold up? I think the previous design was better suited for stay life. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe not. I just would not trust laying out no doubt heavy jack without a lifetime frame warranty.
    It's still going to have a lifetime warranty and what makes these stays more fragile than the current ones? Are you saying that because it has more travel? And now we'll be able to trade the seat collar for a QR one more easily if we like.

As for the swing link, remember this is still not a production unit (clearly shown by the lack of any cable guides) and they might still be fine tuning the shock's rate with the link...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 05-29-2007 at 02:58 PM.

i am, therefore, i ride
    SWEET !!!!!!! Although it looks like a modified Rush, I can't wait to try it.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    SWEET !!!!!!! Although it looks like a modified Rush, I can't wait to try it.
    You are not alone, like I always do when Cannondale introduce a new bike, I have the itch to get one, I kind of miss a sub 23 pounds bike with my Prophet.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry too much about the chainstays holding up. I haven't had the slightest issue with my chainstays on the current Scalpel. Here's 2 more pics.
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You are not alone, like I always do when Cannondale introduce a new bike, I have the itch to get one, I kind of miss a sub 23 pounds bike with my Prophet.
    I feel the same way with all new Cdale models, but I certainly don't miss ultralight weight race bikes that deflect all over the place, I'm not going back that route ever!!

That said, the Scalpel replacement should be a rocket for its intended use.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    I feel the same way with all new Cdale models, but I certainly don't miss ultralight weight race bikes that deflect all over the place, I'm not going back that route ever!!

That said, the Scalpel replacement should be a rocket for its intended use.
    Well, I would keep the Prophet for rougher trails... You can never have too many bikes no?

mtbr member
    Yeah - the travel is my main concern with the pivotless stays - can they handle the increased travel. Is this mount morphing towards a trail bike? What will this look like in 2 years? As a straight-up racing rig I love it - anything more - I don't know

My concerns aside - this is one of the best looking rigs I've seen for a while. Can't wait for ride reports. An old F-700 was my first serious rig 11 years ago - an though I am now Fisher mounted - I'm still partial to c-dale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba
    Check out the transition between the BB and the chainstays! Compared to the current Scalpel this is a work of art. The only thing that looks a little cheap to me is the new "frog link".
    Kayba
    The link itself looks similar to the Rocky Mountain Element's.

Also, will head angle stay at 70? I always saw that as slack for a racer, especially when cdale has a 100m endurance machine in the rush. If the scalpel gets pushed to 71 or 71.5, that would further distinguish the two bikes.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Rush has a 69 head angle. I think 70 works great on the Scalpel, it's nervous and quick enough to be a race bike but still stable enough at high speed to gain time on other racers on the way down. Now with 90mm of travel, it's going to be a great FS race bike I think, I hope to get a chance to try it...

mtbr member
    No Worries Dan, I will send you lots of picks when I get mine
    one pedal stroke at a time

LA CHÈVRE
    While pictures are always nice and welcomed, it doesn't really compare with a test ride... so you could lend it to me for a few weeks, I'll take great care of it, I promise!

mtbr member

29??

This new design looks very good. I am glad to see the shock moved up and away from the rear wheel's' mud spray. It will also be much easier to reach the controls on the rear shock.

I personally have a F-29 Single speed and a Rush Alloy. There are things that I prefer about each of them but lately I have been on the 29er more. Riding the two back to back makes me wish for a short travel 29er dual sus bike.

C-dale, are you listening?? This design in a 29er format makes a ton on sense to me.

j-
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

mtbr member
    The Rush has a 69 head angle. I think 70 works great on the Scalpel, it's nervous and quick enough to be a race bike but still stable enough at high speed to gain time on other racers on the way down. Now with 90mm of travel, it's going to be a great FS race bike I think, I hope to get a chance to try it...
    The Scalpel has amongst the least agressive head angles amongst popular race bikes. anthem: 72, superlight: 71, blur xc: 71, epic: 71, element: 71 -- and some of those are arguably better for marathon XC than XC racing. With the Rush at 100mm and 69 HA, I think the scalpel moving to 71 from a company standpoint is smart, espcially since some will view the extra rear travel as slower.

mad aussie
    In handling there is more to consider than simply head angle. I believe the Lefty has about 5mm more offset than a conventional suspension fork. This reduces the trail of the bike meaning that it steers more quickly than the head angle alone would indicate. This is what Fisher has done with its Genesis bikes to speed up the handling without changing head angle.
    I wondered why the Rush I used to have felt so fast steering compared with a 5-spot with the same HA, compared the offset of the Fox vs the Lefty and there was the reason.

edit: just checked on Cdale's website and their offset (rake) is listed as 4.6cm or the same as Fisher's G2 Geometry.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?.../trek_mtb_2007

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    In handling there is more to consider than simply head angle. I believe the Lefty has about 5mm more offset than a conventional suspension fork. This reduces the trail of the bike meaning that it steers more quickly than the head angle alone would indicate. This is what Fisher has done with its Genesis bikes to speed up the handling without changing head angle.
    I wondered why the Rush I used to have felt so fast steering compared with a 5-spot with the same HA, compared the offset of the Fox vs the Lefty and there was the reason.

edit: just checked on Cdale's website and their offset (rake) is listed as 4.6cm or the same as Fisher's G2 Geometry.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?.../trek_mtb_2007

Kevin
    too k the words out of my mouth. ro rather away from my fingertips.
    I hopped onto a RUSH fitted with a Marzocchi BOMBER (Don;t ask which one cos I only know Lefty's).
    The steering of that bike felt very slow compared to my Lefty Equipped Rush.
    My Scalepl also with only a 70Degree HA, feels about as fast in the steering in the as an ANthem.

I would guess that Lefty is worth about 1.5degrees in head angle due to the lower trail figure and the added stiffness.

mtbr member

Please Please Mr. C-dale Make me a bouncy 29..

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    Yes, C-dale is listening. For 08 they are offering four F-29's and the unofficial buzz is that there is an 08 29er scalpel.
    Hal-la-lu-YA!!!

I really hope that this is the case. If so my Rush will be on e-Bay in a hurry!

Keep those pics coming. A photo of a 29er dual sus bike would be like x-mas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good Vibes

I talked to my rep last week and he didn't know what coming down the line for 29", but he did say that the higher ups were very happy with the way the F29 sold this year. I would not be suprised if max rep is correct. I like the idea of a short travel race 29er, that part of the market is very under served.

LA CHÈVRE

More...

Roel and Fredrik had new bikes today at WC #3... By looking at their integrated headsets a la Carbon Rush and Taurine, it looks like they were had the carbon front triangles...

Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-10-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Like catnip for people
    I love the third one.

Guys expression on Merida = Pain
    Fredriks expression on Cannondale = Sweet joy

mtbr member
    08' looks to be a breakout year for C-dale. I rode the Super Six the other day and it is indeed worth all the hoopla!

This bike rides much like a Look 585 but stiffer in all the right ways.

Now if they just build a short travel 29er dual sus bike! An alloy bike would be fine.

j

mtbr member
    Roel and Fredrik had new bikes today at WC #3... By looking at their integrated headsets a la Carbon Rush and Taurine, it looks like they were had the carbon front triangles...
    Is it me or does his (Roel I guess) bike look too small for him? He looks cramped.

LA CHÈVRE
    But Fredrik finished way down in 42nd while Ralph Naef finished 5th. He must had a technical problem or been sick because he usually never leaves the top 10...

mtbr member
    The new bike looks awesome. I don't know about you guys but I am ready to order my new Scalpel
    Kayba

LA CHÈVRE
    Some like smaller bikes...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    please delete
    Last edited by Broseph; 06-11-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast