Thread: 2008 F5 & F4

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2008 F5 & F4

I'm looking to replace my '93 Trek 930. Went to the LBS and rode a few Cannondale's. I really liked the F5, but he only had a M frame and I need an L. Should I try and scrape up the extra cash to get an F4?

LA CHÈVRE
    I would, the best reason is, you should ride a bike of the correct size, too small or too big is something you'll be stuck with and it makes a big difference on how the bike rides for you. Also, the F4 has the Headshok, much better fork IMO and their are a few parts that are better and lighter too. The F4 is over 1.5 pounds lighter and is available in High Brite raw color!

But I don't know the price difference and I don't know your situation so only you can really decide.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree with you on the size....I am going to wait until he gets the one I need. I should have stated that in my original post. Hopefully, he can get one this coming week!

I think it's about $250 more for the F4. I rode an F3 just to try out the XL frame......very nice bike!...but I felt a bit stretched out on it.

I'd get high brite for the F4 .....and I'd get the black if I go with the F5.

Is the F4 made in the US?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Neither F4 or F5 have the "handmade in USA" stickers, so I assume they are both made in Taiwan.

(as shown on the 2008 website)
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/hardtail.html
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I placed an order for an F4 with my LBS. First week of Oct for the F5. I switched this week to the F4 and they said middle of Nov. I'm going to wait as they seem to be much improved over the '07s. Better components but asian made frames. Cheaper too. $880 for the F4. '07 F4 is $900.

I wanted the X7 derailleurs, the hydraulic disk brakes & the headshok.

-Steve in NJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

... and if we just ... My F4

I just bought an 2008 F4 from my local dealer and it is different from what the 2008 catalog shows...

Mine is raw, but has black lettering and does have hand made in USA...

However, some of the components are the same ones used on the 2007 model...???

Have not questioned the dealer, so I am wondering if I got one of the first "2008" models before they went over seas?

curious and wondering...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I believe the F5 and up are all made in the states. I'm not sure if the F6 is or not

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by textman
    I just bought an 2008 F4 from my local dealer and it is different from what the 2008 catalog shows...

Mine is raw, but has black lettering and does have hand made in USA...

However, some of the components are the same ones used on the 2007 model...???

Have not questioned the dealer, so I am wondering if I got one of the first "2008" models before they went over seas?

curious and wondering...
    Does it have hydraulic front brakes? Any downgrades? I'm wondering as I'm concerned that my LBS is telling me mid-nov and you're one person out there with an '08.

-Steve in NJ

mtbr member
    I ordered and received an 08 F5 last week from my LBS. Its exactly to spec per the 08 cannondale website. It does not say made in the usa anywhere but I also am unable to find a made in taiwan or other marker on it. Its a great ride, really enjoying it and very glad I went with a cannondale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

difference

Frame came in Raw, not available on the '07 model...

The differences are:

Rims - came with Sun Black Eye Disc, 32 hole
    Crank - TruVativ IsoFlow
    Brakeset - Avid BB5 Disc
    Brakelevers - Cannondale Fire

All these match what came on the '07...

That is why I am wondering if it was an early model '08, before the new specs.?????

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just picked up my F5 yesterday and there is a big chrome sticker on the underside that says Made in Taiwan. I didnt buy the F7 for this reason, so the guy ordered an F5 saying that one is still made in the USA. After waiting over 2 months to get it, I'm just gonna keep it, how much different can it be, right.
    Last edited by ralfy1; 10-05-2007 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! mystery solved

After talking with Cannondale customer service I actually have a 2007 model. It was offered in Raw in '07. So mine was handmade in the USA.... Cool..........

mtbr member
    This will probably be the only time we hear someone say they thought they bought the current/newest model, but when they found they got last year's model were actually happy about it!!
    Last edited by jdr01930; 10-08-2007 at 11:49 AM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well it started to bother me more so I decided to call the LBS owner to find out why my bike wasnt made in the USA. He said the quality is more consistant, and better then the bikes made in the US. Probly just trying to make me happy, so I dont return the bike. The bike looks and rides great. Im new to the Cannondale scene so I wouldnt be able to tell the quality difference anyway. Those in the know, did I get a good product?

One bad mother trucker
    I have both the '07 and '08 catalogs and from what I can tell: The entire '07 F series were made in the USA.
    The 08 F series splits between the F4 and F3, the F4's, 5's, and 6's are Asian-made and the F3's, 2's, 1's are made in USA.
    There are apparently some '07 F series floating around the internet, you might have to order it online and then pick it up at a local REI or other sporting goods store.

I really don't think you are going to see a drastic difference in product build quality.
    The Made in USA is a nice emblem, and if you want to buy American for other reasons then you have something to feel good about.

I have a '96 Schwinn Moab Anniversary Ed. made in USA and ready to upgrade to a new bike, I'm looking at the 07 RUSH 6 or the 08 RUSH 6Z.
    The older I get, the more I feel the need for full suspension.
    [SIZE="3"]Until mountain biking, the bike scene was ruled by an elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    To me buying an imported Cannondale is like buying an imported Harley. Part of the attraction is where it's made. That's why I'm not jazzed up about the new Ibis. I'll drool all over a Bow Ti or Ibis Hakkalugi, but not the current one.

Masher
    I have an '07 F4 for sale...cheap.

I bought an Enduro SL an a Capo and now it just sits in the corner. Are these things easy to move? I was going to keep it as a utility bike only because I figured it would be hard to sell. I took one spill on it and it damaged the seat and grips a bit but it's seen a tune up every 30 days until I stopped riding it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've got a 08 F4 here in the U.K and its not made in the U.S.A its a great bike for the price and very quick

mtbr member
    May 2007
    f4 '08 is a fantastic bike, best option under £1000

One bad mother trucker
    Quote Originally Posted by r32657
    To me buying an imported Cannondale is like buying an imported Harley. Part of the attraction is where it's made.

I must agree, if you are going to buy a Cannondale made in Asia, you might as well buy an Ibex for half the price and get the same components, that or a Woodstock or any other internet bike with a decent component setup.

I would only buy a Cannondale if it was a made in USA.
    PERIOD
    [SIZE="3"]Until mountain biking, the bike scene was ruled by an elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't think 08 F4 are made in USA. When my Giant craps out, I am going to get an F4 or Specialized Rockhopper. I recently bought an F7 for my girlfriend. Even though it is way to small for me, if we ever break up, I am taking it back. (jk). F3 and below for 08 are made in the US. Sorry to bust your bubble. If it is an F4 and says hand made in USA it is an 07. The good news is that cannondale shipped it's inspectors over seas. A welder is a welder. The inspector is key!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r32657
    To me buying an imported Cannondale is like buying an imported Harley. Part of the attraction is where it's made. That's why I'm not jazzed up about the new Ibis. I'll drool all over a Bow Ti or Ibis Hakkalugi, but not the current one.
    At the price point for the 2008 f5, who cares if it's made in taiwan or the US. I'll bet if they stuck a made in US sticker on the 08 f5, when it's really made in Asia, no one could tell.
    If some are so hung up on the Made in US, I guess you all own American cars, which are sh*t.