Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2008 Cannondale Scalpel Recall- Frame failure causing crash hazard

Cannondale recalls 2008 Scalpel Mountain Bikes

by Consumer Product Safety Commission Press Release

Bethel, Conn. – The following product safety recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Advertisement

Name of Product: Cannondale 2008 model year “Scalpel” mountain bikes

Units: About 150

Manufacturer: Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, of Bethel, Conn.

Hazard: The frame can break while in use, causing the rider to lose control and suffer injuries from a fall or collision.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received six reports of frames breaking. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The 2008 model year Scalpel is a cross-country racing mountain bike, made from carbon fiber and aluminum. They were sold in Black/White, Blue/Black and Black. The recall includes the following models:

Model # Product Retail Price

8AVPFR Scalpel Frameset about $3,200

8VPO Scalpel Team about $6,900

8VP1 Scalpel 1 about $6,400

8VP2 Scalpel 2 about $4,300

Only certain serial numbers are affected.

Sold at: Authorized Cannondale dealers nationwide from October 2007 through December 2007.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the bicycle immediately and contact Cannondale or authorized dealer for a free replacement frame. Consumers have been directly notified.

Consumer Contact: For further information, contact Cannondale at (800) 245-3872 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, send an e-mail to custserv@cannondale.com, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.cannondale.com.

mtbr member
    well that just sucks.. I was about to go and buy one.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    Read the other thread, only a few were defective, if you order one now or if you go buy one in a store, it will be fine.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Read the other thread, only a few were defective, if you order one now or if you go buy one in a store, it will be fine.
    Yeah , I read that. I just dont have the confidence anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    meh, it's a new design. You can be sure that if they've already issued a recall that the ones not included are just fine. I still have a lot more confidence in Cannondale that most other brands.

mtbr member
    It is actually nice to see this instead of hiding such issues. you get a new sparkling frame but the down time hurts. I wonder if LBS would swap the parts for you?

Like catnip for people
    dang so it's offical now.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I knew there was some kinda catch to ZERO PIVOT.....

LA CHÈVRE
    What? It has nothing to do with zero pivots... A few bikes were not bonded correctly that's all, the design is not a problem at all.

mtbr member
    Got my remake and it is still the same Zero Pivot great looking frame that the other one was They also added a stainless steel protector behind the chainring on the chainstay to protect the carbon from chain suck. Happy as can be with Cannondale's response to the bonding issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My 08 Scalpel 1 was recalled due to the issue in the thread. I had a new frame delivered in less than two weeks and all the support of the LBS. Cannondale is a solid company that stands behind a quality product. You wouldn't get half the support from a boutique company.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Glad to hear the new frames coming. Has anybody in Europe already got a message?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I work in a dutch bikeshop, where today we got confimed that whitin 2 or 3 weeks most of the frames will have been replaced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dank je Jippelskea. We wachten maar weer af.
    (Thank you, Jippelskea. We'll wait and see)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

its fine now

Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    im sure its fine now, ive ridden the bike on the trail and it is smokin fast it puts any other xc bike ive ridden to shame, cannodale also stands behind there product and i trust the zero pivot, the frame underwent extensive testing

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I got my scalpe back from cannondale like a week ago, and its great, a perfect bike and desing. not complains at all... and now I have to go to ride my bike ....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    anyone in europe news when the newly ordered Scalpel TR's will be delivered then?

mtbr member
    I ordered my Team Replica frame in october and it is due beginning of february (arrival has been postponed several times but my lbs is pretty sure it won't be postponed again)
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba
    I ordered my Team Replica frame in october and it is due beginning of february (arrival has been postponed several times but my lbs is pretty sure it won't be postponed again)
    Kayba

Got mine 2 weeks ago (ordered beginning November). Works really great with Fox RP23.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Good job!

We have had our first one Scalpel 4 TR delivered this week, so hopefully my all carbon 2 will arrive really soon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a cracked seat stay on my alloy 08 scalpel? can these be fixed? the stays looked to be bonded into the metal

any ideas?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by reyesjames
    I have a cracked seat stay on my alloy 08 scalpel? can these be fixed? the stays looked to be bonded into the metal

any ideas?
    I have an idea: take it to your dealer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Spoke with a dealer already and they said the frame had to be replaced?? the rep is going to look at it later this week. Just wondered if anyone has had any replacement/repair work to the carbon stays on the scalpel?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Carbon seat stays are not replaceable... they offered me a new frame with a small charge or an even swap on a flash alloy. Going with the hard tail!

mtbr member
    isnt the warranty supposed to be lifetime and if they cant fix it, they need to provide you with a new frame free of charge?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast